mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I think it might’ve been Billy Furious who was on about how they bang on about football not being invented in 1992. But they’re the ones who moved to a flat pack stadium (for which they couldn’t even come up with an original name), had a huge influx of extra fans in the 90s and even, as per the article, had to hold a vote for a nickname, such was their lack of identity*.
*Some things never change 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think it might’ve been Billy Furious who was on about how they bang on about football not being invented in 1992. But they’re the ones who moved to a flat pack stadium (for which they couldn’t even come up with an original name), had a huge influx of extra fans in the 90s and even, as per the article, had to hold a vote for a nickname, such was their lack of identity*.

It's odd, I didn't think you chose your nick name, it usually evolves organically from what other peole call you. They are the most plastic club going ironically. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I said at the time, they changed their crest to a shield like ours, they changed their socks to black, they changed their ground and named after benfica, they had a poll for an official nickname, they did indeed gain more 'new' fans percentage wise than we did, they had to put haway the lads on their seats as we had howay the lads in the tunnel, obviously spelled it differently to ours even though throughout the years their was no right or wrong way to spell it. They would never admit to it but there was definitely an attempt to try and replicate what we had done under Keegan when they saw how it took off. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's odd, I didn't think you chose your nick name, it usually evolves organically from what other peole call you. They are the most plastic club going ironically. 

Anyone who chooses their own nickname will soon be given a nickname which is way less complimentary. At Uni, there were three Daniels, One was a Liverpool fan from Blackburn so got Scouse Dan, one entered and exited every room remarkably quickly so got Rocket Dan, and then there was Dan Chiltern who told us everyone called him Chills or Chilly and thus Smelly Dan was born.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I said at the time, they changed their crest to a shield like ours, they changed their socks to black, they changed their ground and named after benfica, they had a poll for an official nickname, they did indeed gain more 'new' fans percentage wise than we did, they had to put haway the lads on their seats as we had howay the lads in the tunnel, obviously spelled it differently to ours even though throughout the years their was no right or wrong way to spell it. They would never admit to it but there was definitely an attempt to try and replicate what we had done under Keegan when they saw how it took off. 

It's baltently obviuous they copied our "template". Right down to turning to shit on the field, although of course, they had to take that another level.

We even gifted them their proper nick name. You didn't here it much before '92 imo. 

I maintain they're only in the modern football fan's consciousness because of their connection to us. Nobody from Brighton or Brentford would think of them as anything other than a long away trip in the cup. They're no different to Ipswich or Reading, really. The only thing that marks them as different is their attendances. But (like Everton), that home crowd isn't much of an advantage when they turn so quickly on their managers, their players and their owners. 

That forum is peppered with anecdotes of some Sunderland fan chatting to fans of other clubs, to a man they hate Newcastle United. We've all got mates who support other clubs, and I don't know about you but I can count on one hand the number of times Sunderland have come up in conversation organically. And not for some time, I might add. 

I always remember a piss take out of Danny Dyer's football hooligan docuseries (called Wheel Football Factorweez or something) from years ago starring "Danny Dire". He did an episode in Sunderland and the opening monologue started with "Sunderland -  famous for Newcastle" :lol:

Found it.

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I always remember a piss take out of Danny Dyer's football hooligan docuseries (called Wheel Football Factorweez or something) from years ago starring "Danny Dire". He did an episode in Sunderland and the opening monologue started with "Sunderland -  famous for Newcastle" :lol:

Found it.

love the cages bit, never grows old!  :lol:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

Anyone who chooses their own nickname will soon be given a nickname which is way less complimentary. At Uni, there were three Daniels, One was a Liverpool fan from Blackburn so got Scouse Dan, one entered and exited every room remarkably quickly so got Rocket Dan, and then there was Dan Chiltern who told us everyone called him Chills or Chilly and thus Smelly Dan was born.

What a wild bunch.

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

Come on! 
What low effort bullshit names are these?  
Mr. Chiltern should’ve been Black Belt, as he was the third Dan. 

• Haha 8

13 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Come on! 
What low effort bullshit names are these?  
Mr. Chiltern should’ve been Black Belt, as he was the third Dan. 

That's better.

For what it's worth I only came up with Rocket Dan.