mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

My father was telling me the other day that his mate went to watch the game against Derby the other day and said we were absolutely hopeless. Said we could have been 6 down by half time. And my mate went to so see the reserves and the juniors in consecutive nights last season and said very much the same. He said the only one that he thought had a hope of making it was Woodman.

I'm fairly sure HF posted up something showing the forms of the U-21 and U-18 teams during that nightmare run under Pardew + Carver at the end of last season, they were just as bad iirc. They barely ever win and seem to get burst 3-0 or so often.

Sunderlands academy is generally seen as better than ours recently so it doesn't surprise me to hear it battered ours especially if the 'first teamers' that turned out for our lot were utter embarrassments like Riviere and Obertan.

I think this area is one someone like McClaren could have a good impact on if he is allowed to do so, think the problem is he probably doesn't have much control over it and the reigns are firmly held by a group of blokes who have very questionable coaching ability and seem to have failed for the past half decade (at least). I think if McClaren was allowed to bring in some of his own coaching staff in that area it would help.

I echo the view of others that I really don't understand why they had a friendly against them, the fans are yet again getting the brunt of this decision as although it is clearly completely pointless there is more reasoning with Donald Trump than a Mackem getting his hackles up after what he sees as a win against the maggie bastards.

Edited by Howay

I'm fairly sure HF posted up something showing the forms of the U-21 and U-18 teams during that nightmare run under Pardew + Carver at the end of last season, they were just as bad iirc. They barely ever win and seem to get burst 3-0 or so often.

Sunderlands academy is generally seen as better than ours recently so it doesn't surprise me to hear it battered ours especially if the 'first teamers' that turned out for our lot were utter embarrassments like Riviere and Obertan.

I think this area is one someone like McClaren could have a good impact on if he is allowed to do so, think the problem is he probably doesn't have much control over it and the reigns are firmly held by a group of blokes who have very questionable coaching ability and seem to have failed for the past half decade (at least). I think if McClaren was allowed to bring in some of his own coaching staff in that area it would help.

I echo the view of others that I really don't understand why they had a friendly against them, the fans are yet again getting the brunt of this decision as although it is clearly completely pointless there is more reasoning with Donald Trump than a Mackem getting his hackles up after what he sees as a win against the maggie bastards.

McClaren definitely has more important issues at the minute. But if he can sort out the first team then I think there needs to be a more joined up approach with the other squads and I agree that he probably could and would like to influence that area.

McClaren definitely has more important issues at the minute. But if he can sort out the first team then I think there needs to be a more joined up approach with the other squads and I agree that he probably could and would like to influence that area.

Oh for sure, I was meaning more during the close season. I agree that there needs to be a more joined up approach as well.

Well with the media stating that Ashley was going to spend £10m on a state of the art training facility along with a £15m investment in new talent it's amazing that we haven't seen any progress from the youth teams. Of course this can be partly explained by the fact that none of the money actually materialised.

Well with the media stating that Ashley was going to spend £10m on a state of the art training facility along with a £15m investment in new talent it's amazing that we haven't seen any progress from the youth teams. Of course this can be partly explained by the fact that none of the money actually materialised.

:lol: :lol:

They're still planning to prepare the money to be used for planning the investment into the youth system, getting quotes from vendors one at a time and they will not be held to ransom.

:lol: Aye, it's exactly like the patter about how financially sound we are etc. There's a dearth of proper analysis of the situation in the media. It's almost a case of the assumption being made that he does everything he says he's going to do (not to mention a second relegation on his watch has looked possible again this season, which would obviously costs tens of millions even if it was just one season out the top flight). This goes all the way back to stuff like the 5 year plan in the programme notes. Total fucking bullshit in other words

:lol: Aye, it's exactly like the patter about how financially sound we are etc. There's a dearth of proper analysis of the situation in the media. It's almost a case of the assumption being made that he does everything he says he's going to do (not to mention a second relegation on his watch has looked possible again this season, which would obviously costs tens of millions even if it was just one season out the top flight). This goes all the way back to stuff like the 5 year plan in the programme notes. Total fucking bullshit in other words

People and the media are generally lazy by nature and are happy to accept an explanation if it's by a perceived successful business organisation/businessman. The amount of dullards around the country who genuinely believe anything they are told to should surprise nobody.

When I work in / visit other cities and countries I get the occasional "Oh, you are a Geordie then". As many of us do.

My reply is a gentle "No, I am a Mackem. We regard ourselves as the acceptable face of the North East". And if recssary I mention the Geordie fake acccent, the constant reminders that they are Geordies, the leaden attempts at humour and the giant bellies they display so proudly.

But all only in fun of course.