mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

I don't think they're good enough to do what we're doing. I know a lot of them are now looking towards our side and thinking they can but they're forgetting we sold 3 players for over 50m and brought in a striker that is getting a goal a game, I also still argue we had a better side when we went down than they have now.

They'd be scrapping for play-off spots at best imo, they have a bunch of loanees and their best player will absolutely be gone if they go down (if he doesn't leave in January anyway). I imagine Patrick Van Aanolt will be the focus of some bids as well if they go down.

You're not wrong, born out by over vs underachievement

https://experimental361.com/2016/12/29/championship-trends-28-dec-2016/

trend-2016-12-28-newcastle1.png

trend-2016-12-28-sunderland.png

They do tend to play their best against Liverpool and Man City for some reason, can't say I'm surprised if they're playing their best even with only having 28% of the ball they're a fucking nightmare to watch.

Apparently West Ham have bid £5m for Defoe. Now, obviously the mackems wont accept that, but it does show that West Ham are serious in their pursuit. I wonder how high they'll need to go to get their man?

When has Short done something like that previously?

He sold Kaboul over the summer for £3m and turned down £18m for Kone. He bought Alvarez for £10m, and then effectively let him go for free through incompetence.

The man isn't exactly a good decision maker. Or whoever is in charge of transfers isn't, at least.

Edited by Rayvin

He sold Kaboul over the summer for £3m and turned down £18m for Kone. He bought Alvarez for £10m, and then effectively let him go for free through incompetence.

The man isn't exactly a good decision maker. Or whoever is in charge of transfers isn't, at least.

Kaboul wanted to leave due to personal circumstances and the club let him go, they didn't sell him for the money. The Alvarez deal was a joke but it isn't evidence that Short will sell their best players in order to bring in a few quid.

Defoe will still be there come the end of the month. I bet my anal virginity on it.

Kaboul wanted to leave due to personal circumstances and the club let him go, they didn't sell him for the money. The Alvarez deal was a joke but it isn't evidence that Short will sell their best players in order to bring in a few quid.

Defoe will still be there come the end of the month. I bet my anal virginity on it.

:lol: I thought you lost that already in the Trump fiasco.

My point was more that Short can't be trusted to make good decisions anyway - especially when he's actively looking to sell up. The Kaboul thing was ridiculous and could potentially be similar though, depending on how Defoe spins this. We didn't let Colo go for 'family reasons' so why would Short? Because he makes stupid decisions.

Edited by Rayvin

Read my lips: no Defoe transfer.

I'm so confident I'll give you 4/1 if you fancy a flutter.

:lol:

I'm not going toe to toe with the guy heading up the Prediction League competition ;) - all I'm saying is that the level of incompetence required for it to happen appears to be there.

Edited by Rayvin

I think there'd have to be a few dominoes toppling before Sunderland's hopes of keeping Defoe collapse entirely;

West Ham cement their interest, raising the fee to a level that has to be taken seriously

Defoe's representatives are confident he'll not get a pay rise if he stays commensurate with his demonstrated value to their club

Short, via Moyes, fails to give assurances about Sunderland's future with Defoe

Kone/Pickford or another important Sunderland player leaves early on in the window

I agree with ewerk that it's more likely than not he'll stay as I think West Ham's maximum bid for Defoe will fall significantly short of Sunderland's valuation. They've offered £5m to test the waters and gauge interest from both Sunderland and Defoe's representatives, but they'll need to double (if not treble) that before Short thinks about entertaining the bid, and I'm not sure they will.

That said, it's entirely possible that: West Ham come in with a c£10m bid, Defoe's reps get in his ear, Sunderland don't strengthen, and in fact weaken in the window. If all those things happen, I could see Defoe's reps orchestrating a move. And if that happens I could see Old Big Eyes telling Short to go fuck himself.

I think there'd have to be a few dominoes toppling before Sunderland's hopes of keeping Defoe collapse entirely;

West Ham cement their interest, raising the fee to a level that has to be taken seriously

Defoe's representatives are confident he'll not get a pay rise if he stays commensurate with his demonstrated value to their club

Short, via Moyes, fails to give assurances about Sunderland's future with Defoe

Kone/Pickford or another important Sunderland player leaves early on in the window

I agree with ewerk that it's more likely than not he'll stay as I think West Ham's maximum bid for Defoe will fall significantly short of Sunderland's valuation. They've offered £5m to test the waters and gauge interest from both Sunderland and Defoe's representatives, but they'll need to double (if not treble) that before Short thinks about entertaining the bid, and I'm not sure they will.

That said, it's entirely possible that: West Ham come in with a c£10m bid, Defoe's reps get in his ear, Sunderland don't strengthen, and in fact weaken in the window. If all those things happen, I could see Defoe's reps orchestrating a move. And if that happens I could see Old Big Eyes telling Short to go fuck himself.

Was just reading both West Ham and Sunderland fans' take on it. West Ham fans feel they could go to £10m but no further, and I've seen a few mackems suggest that they'd take some manner of deal involving Carroll.

The thing that really kills this as a deal though is that apparently any money they make on player sales goes on paying off debt. If they sell Defoe for, say, £8m - and his wages are about £80k, then they'll free up around £15m - but none of that will go on a new player.

They'll get relegated of course, if they sell him, but that could happen anyway, at which point he goes for free. I think it depends how certain Short is about their fate come the end of January.

Edited by Rayvin