mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Presumably no one else would pay him what Sunderland are - if he wants to play in the PL next year and on the same money, it makes sense for him to try to keep them there.

If Wham offer to match his wages then the story could change.

Presumably no one else would pay him what Sunderland are - if he wants to play in the PL next year and on the same money, it makes sense for him to try to keep them there.

I wonder what he's on there and how his contract is structured. If they're paying him a normal salary and it's c70k I can't see West Ham matching that when he'll surely be an option up front, rather than the main man?

I wonder what he's on there and how his contract is structured. If they're paying him a normal salary and it's c70k I can't see West Ham matching that when he'll surely be an option up front, rather than the main man?

Not sure he'd be just an option, he's scored quite a few this year and West Ham look desperate.

Even if West ham don't quite match it, if they offer him a two year deal, he's still improved his situation.

Anyway this is all academic - Sunderland would be crazy to sell him. I still feel they're capable of a decision that poor, but we'll see.

I can't see the mackems selling him, he's their only hope of staying up tbh. People are saying the 10m range and we're being quoted 15m for Scott Hogan so even if they were able to spend the full fee on a replacement (doubtful) it'd be nigh on impossible for them to replace his goal threat for that sort of money, ignoring the fee their history of buying strikers outside of Defoe is pretty fucking shite.

West Ham would absolutely pay his wages mind, they're desperate as fuck (as evidenced by the fact they're apparently bidding for Defoe) and have a history of paying high wages for people. He'd jump at the chance imo, even if they come in at a little below his current wage, he'd get the chance to retire playing in London and spend a few more years playing PL football there.

He'd be their main man up top I reckon, their top scorer is Antonio and top scoring striker is Carroll with 2 goals (if you count Lazini as an attacking mid/winger rather than striker, he has 3) so it's not like their current crop of forwards are doing much.

Not sure he'd be just an option, he's scored quite a few this year and West Ham look desperate.

Even if West ham don't quite match it, if they offer him a two year deal, he's still improved his situation.

Anyway this is all academic - Sunderland would be crazy to sell him. I still feel they're capable of a decision that poor, but we'll see.

He might get a run of games but at Sunderland he has the comfort of knowing that barring injury or suspension he's their main man. Moyes would rather play with him and Anichebe than drop Defoe. West Ham have Antonio, Ayew, Carroll, Calleri, Valencia, Sakho and Zaza who can play as a striker and while some are shit, some aren't fit and some can play elsewhere they're still challengers to his spot. He might be at the head of the queue but at Sunderland there isn't really a queue. 

I can't see the mackems selling him, he's their only hope of staying up tbh. People are saying the 10m range and we're being quoted 15m for Scott Hogan so even if they were able to spend the full fee on a replacement (doubtful) it'd be nigh on impossible for them to replace his goal threat for that sort of money, ignoring the fee their history of buying strikers outside of Defoe is pretty fucking shite.

West Ham would absolutely pay his wages mind, they're desperate as fuck (as evidenced by the fact they're apparently bidding for Defoe) and have a history of paying high wages for people. He'd jump at the chance imo, even if they come in at a little below his current wage, he'd get the chance to retire playing in London and spend a few more years playing PL football there.

I wonder how his history with West Ham would affect his decision?

Hardly like-for-like him and George Michael but could work

He might get a run of games but at Sunderland he has the comfort of knowing that barring injury or suspension he's their main man. Moyes would rather play with him and Anichebe than drop Defoe. West Ham have Antonio, Ayew, Carroll, Calleri, Valencia, Sakho and Zaza who can play as a striker and while some are shit, some aren't fit and some can play elsewhere they're still challengers to his spot. He might be at the head of the queue but at Sunderland there isn't really a queue. 

I wonder how his history with West Ham would affect his decision?

Valencia is away out on loan, the rest are either shite or aren't being anywhere near as effective. I get your point that there's zero competition at the mackems and he would at least have some competition at West Ham but I don't think that will bother him as long as he gets games and gets a good wage, he may even prefer getting the odd game off rather than playing every single game at this age.

Does he have problems with the dildo twins or something? I try not to pay much attention to West Ham as they're a total bunch of cunts. Even if he does I can't see it being enough of a problem to stop him jumping at the chance to retire back in London with a PL side. Regardless I don't see Sunderland selling him for all the reasons ewerk mentioned.

Valencia is away out on loan, the rest are either shite or aren't being anywhere near as effective. I get your point that there's zero competition at the mackems and he would at least have some competition at West Ham but I don't think that will bother him as long as he gets games and gets a good wage, he may even prefer getting the odd game off rather than playing every single game at this age.

Does he have problems with the dildo twins or something? I try not to pay much attention to West Ham as they're a total bunch of cunts. Even if he does I can't see it being enough of a problem to stop him jumping at the chance to retire back in London with a PL side. Regardless I don't see Sunderland selling him for all the reasons ewerk mentioned.

Less the owners and more the fans. I'm sure they had issues with him leaving. Might be wrong like.

Less the owners and more the fans. I'm sure they had issues with him leaving. Might be wrong like.

It wouldn't surprise me, bampy as fuck that fan base. He puts up with the mackems mind so surely he'd get over it.

It wouldn't surprise me, bampy as fuck that fan base. He puts up with the mackems mind so surely he'd get over it.

The fewm on RTG would be a masterclass in pant-pissing if Defoe left. Relegation assured, Moyes would leave, administration to follow, winding up order in the post. 

But they'd still be better than the Mags because they sent 'em down and once beat them 9-1. 

FTM

etcetera 

The fewm on RTG would be a masterclass in pant-pissing if Defoe left. Relegation assured, Moyes would leave, administration to follow, winding up order in the post. 

But they'd still be better than the Mags because they sent 'em down and once beat them 9-1. 

FTM

etcetera 

:lol:

To be fair when they go down they go into full on miserable cunts mode, "yous still fucking going on about that? it was two days ago ffs, typical mags bringing up the past" I remember a few days after we beat them 4-1 at their hovel I brought up the result to a mackem and he literally said "you still fucking banging on about that" there hadn't even been a game since :lol:.

I agree with Rayvin and Howay.  I think given Short's lack of interest in the tramps these days, he's more than capable of just saying fuck it I'll not take the risk we'll get relegated and lose him for nothing in the summer when I can get £10m now.  I also think Defoe would jump at the chance to head to London and would be a great short term signing for West Ham.  He'd get a substantial amount of games for the next season or so and at 34 I doubt he'd be too worried about the possibility of not playing every week.

Clearly if they did sell him they'd be absolutely fucked.  He's their only good player and source of goals and there's no way they could replace him for that money even if Short were to give them it all to spend.  You'd imagine it would have a seriously detrimental effect on the morale of the remaining players and the inbreed's who watch them.

The Defoe thing this transfer window will shine a torch to exactly what is happening at their club.  If they enter into any discussions for anything around 10m then they aren't looking at Premiership football next season as a priority and balancing the books is more important than league position. 

That Patrick Van Aanholt is decent as well mind, wouldn't be opposed to us throwing in a bid as they head down. Unless of course Lazaar is being prepped as our Premier League left back.

He was here briefly on loan. Scores goals but seems a poor defender

Aye he was okay for us in the Championship, I thought he was a Championship level player but he has been okay for them in a shocking side. It could be one of them things where he just happens to look better than the shite around him rather than him actually being that good himself.

The Defoe thing this transfer window will shine a torch to exactly what is happening at their club.  If they enter into any discussions for anything around 10m then they aren't looking at Premiership football next season as a priority and balancing the books is more important than league position. 

True enough. 

Mind you given the current approach isn't bearing much fruit, would it be better for the long term future of Sunderland if they allowed Moyes to start with a clean slate in the Championship? He could get shot of players who do just enough to keep them up but haven't the ability or wherewithal to get them comfortably safe? He could get game time for some of their young players who're not good enough for the Premier League at the minute. Certainly not a risk he can take when they're having to fight tooth and nail for every point.

£10m for a quality but ageing Premier League striker won't go far on Premier League players, but in the Championship we've been able to sign a CB & a RB of genuine quality.