mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Least marketable club in the league you reckon?

There's a real argument they might be, teams like Burnley and Bournemouth are seen as plucky underdogs and play some nice football from time to time, Sunderland never get a fucking mention though. 

Burnley, Boro and Hull will get mentions because they're the promoted sides. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Spurs will be pored over because they're "big clubs". Leicester will get loads of coverage this year because they're champions and doing shite. There's 10 teams ahead of sunderland in the interest stakes already. Then you've Everton and West Ham who're decent sized clubs that have it in them to either flirt with Europe or Relegation in any given season. Pardew is Box Office, so Palace get more coverage than they should.

To most neutrals Sunderland are just that side that should have been relegated a while ago and haven't been, they don't play attractive football, they aren't experiencing huge tumult on or off the pitch (that's of interest to neutrals), they're just not very good.

Pay over the odds in transfer fees and player wages

Almost never make a profit on a player sale

Rarely get televised games

Can't do brilliantly in merchandising as surely it's only the surrounding area that buys the shirts and SIX IN A ROW FTM VHS tapes?

Don't get much in sponsorship because they're not very good and rarely on tv.

actually

here you go

i'm pretty sure PL tv money is disrtibuted evenly among the clubs, unlike other big european leagues where the top clubs who are on more often get the lion's share

i'm pretty sure PL tv money is disrtibuted evenly among the clubs, unlike other big european leagues where the top clubs who are on more often get the lion's share

A certain amount of it is based on how often you're on TV, I think it's around £1m per match.

Burnley, Boro and Hull will get mentions because they're the promoted sides. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Spurs will be pored over because they're "big clubs". Leicester will get loads of coverage this year because they're champions and doing shite. There's 10 teams ahead of sunderland in the interest stakes already. Then you've Everton and West Ham who're decent sized clubs that have it in them to either flirt with Europe or Relegation in any given season. Pardew is Box Office, so Palace get more coverage than they should.

To most neutrals Sunderland are just that side that should have been relegated a while ago and haven't been, they don't play attractive football, they aren't experiencing huge tumult on or off the pitch (that's of interest to neutrals), they're just not very good.

And it pisses supporters off when a team turns up to play for a 0v0 draw.Basically,everyone want's them to get relegated.

Aye I think that's a good sum up of it, slowly getting that rep back.

Teams like Palace will always get more attention as they're from London, NBC sports even done a 5 week programme about them behind the scenes when they went on that winning run under Pardew (the funny thing was they came up with the idea when they were on a winning run but by the time they started to film they were in a classic Pardew nosedive of form so some of it was TV gerld).

As you say the Mackems are basically the dullest one out of the also-ran teams and at the moment they're sinking without much fight, when you think even the Johnson thing passed without that much incident.

yeah, but they still got £60m, a canny piece of the pie. having watched that video, it sounds like their losses are mainly due to their shocking player dealings

There were actually eight teams shown less often than Sunderland.

yeah, but they still got £60m, a canny piece of the pie. having watched that video, it sounds like their losses are mainly due to their shocking player dealings

Oh sure, but I meant that they don't even get the top of c£1m every so often by being on tv. 

There were actually eight teams shown less often than Sunderland.

I've been searching for a reliable website with that info, where'd you get it?

Pay over the odds in transfer fees and player wages

Almost never make a profit on a player sale

Rarely get televised games

Can't do brilliantly in merchandising as surely it's only the surrounding area that buys the shirts and SIX IN A ROW FTM VHS tapes?

Don't get much in sponsorship because they're not very good and rarely on tv.

actually

here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnJiV8g4xls

Makems match day income £11m with an average attendance for season 2014/15 at 43,157

NUFC match day income £27m with an average attendance for season 2014/15 at 50,359.That suggests to me they charge next to nowt for most tickets and nowt for the others.

They're in a vicious circle.

*They need the money Premiership football brings to survive

*To stay in the Premiership, they need players who can cope with a relegation scrap.... and playing for sunderland.

*To attract those players, they must offer daft wages and pay over the odds, because all they have to offer/attract players otherwise is their Premiership status.

*Because they pay over the odds, when the time comes to ship out unwanted players, they never make a profit

*To sustain this they must stay in the Premiership because of the money it gives them.

Premiership survival is their No.1 priority,above all else.

Without it, they're Leeds. ;)

MF hitting the nail on the head.

I'm just over the moon with them as local rivals really, no matter what a complete and utter shit show we are they always seem to manage to be worse. Like last season was some of the worst form and football a lot of us have seen yet they only came 1 point above us (and were happy with it :lol:).

Now while we're a division below enjoying winning games they're getting played off the park every week and are seemingly in a financial meltdown that the only hope seems to be their usual rumours that there are "interested parties", not sure why anyone would want to take on a club with debts possibly above their market value that is odds on for the drop when they could just go out and get a side for cheaper, with less debt, that's comfortable in the PL.

Money really has fucked the game. There's no pleasure to be gained from this. There used to be a simple pleasure gained from beating them or knowing they were hopeless, but as a support they don't deserve their club to be on the brink of oblivion as a result of pure greed. I wouldn't want them to go into administration... We might sneer at them because by geographical coincidence a large part of their catchment happens to comprise some of the more backwards communities in the UK, but their financial predicament could just have easily happened to us.

Money really has fucked the game. There's no pleasure to be gained from this. There used to be a simple pleasure gained from beating them or knowing they were hopeless, but as a support they don't deserve their club to be on the brink of oblivion as a result of pure greed. I wouldn't want them to go into administration... We might sneer at them because by geographical coincidence a large part of their catchment happens to comprise some of the more backwards communities in the UK, but their financial predicament could just have easily happened to us.

Good post, I think it's easy to lose sight of this and it's something I've personally done from time to time. I definitely wish relegation on them but as you say I'm not hoping they go into financial oblivion as it isn't the fans fault and they'd lose the club they love because their club is owned by a fucking dipshit. 

In some ways it's like when you get blokes that take over the top ownership of their clubs success and genuinely look down their nose on people that support unsuccessful clubs as if it's anything to do with them other than where they were born. I get the laughing at clubs for not winning owt but I'm on about people that genuinely think they are a superior human being to others because they happen to support Manchester United.

I get pleasure from having a laugh at their lot suffering on the pitch but they don't deserve to lose their club as it's completely out of their control.

Edited by Howay

Good post, I think it's easy to lose sight of this and it's something I've personally done from time to time. I definitely wish relegation on them but as you say I'm not hoping they go into financial oblivion as it isn't the fans fault and they'd lose the club they love because their club is owned by a fucking dipshit. 

In some ways it's like when you get blokes that take over the top ownership of their clubs success and genuinely look down their nose on people that support unsuccessful clubs as if it's anything to do with them other than where they were born. I get the laughing at clubs for not winning owt but I'm on about people that genuinely think they are a superior human being to others because they happen to support Manchester United.

I get pleasure from having a laugh at their lot suffering on the pitch but they don't deserve to lose their club as it's completely out of their control.

I'd be more than happy for them to keep their club in Division 2

They aren't in this situation because of greed, they're in it because of decades of mismanagement from top to bottom. They aren't doing a Leeds, they're spending money to survive because the alternative is an even worse situation in the Championship.

And they aren't going bust. The majority of their debt is owed to their billionaire owner who isn't going to pull the plug any time soon.

That transfer for that Alvarez guy pretty much sums them up. Paid £10m for a player who went to another team because Sunderland were attempting to weasel out of the deal. I never think they get enough stick for that, it was probably one of the least competent things I've seen in football.

They aren't in this situation because of greed, they're in it because of decades of mismanagement from top to bottom. They aren't doing a Leeds, they're spending money to survive because the alternative is an even worse situation in the Championship.

And they aren't going bust. The majority of their debt is owed to their billionaire owner who isn't going to pull the plug any time soon.

It is greed like - that's what's got football to this point. Many clubs manage to survive or even prosper in this environment, but the mackems haven't. The reason they haven't is due to mismanagement, as you say, but the reason the vicious circle that MF described yesterday exists at all is greed. 

I disagree. To me they're doing it out of necessity. The players of course will want to be well compensated in return for joining such a shit club in the north east with the threat of relegation perenially hanging over them. But I don't think that you can describe the club's actions as greedy. Their aim every season is purely to survive in the PL.