mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

34 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Aye, one genuinely thinks the only thing about Newcastle is that stag-dos go there. 

I'm not saying it's a metropolis, but we must be in the top ten for most measures of a top English city? 

London will win out, then Manchester, Liverpool etc.

I honestly took Newcastle for granted till I started seeing other towns/cities. Newcastle at the very least holds its own with some and betters most. Mind, some of Europe hammers most of the UK cities I've been to. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I honestly took Newcastle for granted till I started seeing other towns/cities. Newcastle at the very least holds its own with some and betters most. Mind, some of Europe hammers most of the UK cities I've been to. :lol:

I've visited places like Leeds, Nottingham, Leicester, Birmingham, Norwich, and I'd much prefer to be in Newcastle. dont give a fuck if that's bias :lol:

I quite liked Leeds and Manchester last time I visited both cities.  Manchester was very similar to Newcastle I thought, only bigger.  I'm not a fan of London, Liverpool or Birmingham like.

I wouldn't even compare Sunderland to any of those cities though.  It's a town, it has a town mentality that puts it alongside the likes of  Middlesbrough, Blackburn or Warrington (just picking towns I've visited).

7 minutes ago, strawb said:

I’m from boro, and used to play for Sunderland as a kid. Boro is better than Sunderland even if that’s not saying much.

KILL IT, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

58 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I quite liked Leeds and Manchester last time I visited both cities.  Manchester was very similar to Newcastle I thought, only bigger.  I'm not a fan of London, Liverpool or Birmingham like.

I wouldn't even compare Sunderland to any of those cities though.  

all the places you mention are great fun, in my opinion, and are well worth visiting for a weekend.

with one notable exception.

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 hour ago, strawb said:

I’m from boro, and used to play for Sunderland as a kid. Boro is better than Sunderland even if that’s not saying much.

OMG ! I hope you've recovered well from your double nightmare mate

Sunderland is a hole, I was born there, lived there till my early twenties, moved away and then stupidly moved back again.

It is full of chavs, it's the only place I've ever been where being intelligent is seen as a bad thing. It has no culture, unless you count taking speed, drinking, fighting and shaggin as culture. The town centre is an embarrassment, populated by retarded, fat, ugly, useless, ignorant, inbred, nylon clad chava scum.

:lol: one of the comments from the piece. he's wrong though. i grew up in washington and being seen as intelligent was seen as a bad thing there too. 

Think I might have mentioned this before but about 6-7 years ago, my lass at the time lived in Sunderland since she was at uni there. Anyway, there was a (decent) chip shop just down the road from hers so I went there one night for our tea for a pizza for the two of us. I was walking out, pizza in hand, back along to hers and this lad stopped me and asked if I had any change. I said "nar, I've just bought this" to which he replied "Well, giz a slice of ya pizza then" I think I just laughed and kept walking and, to this day, I've never known blatant cheek like it.

My brother once had similar in Chester-le-street. Bloke didn't like the answer so smacked the pizza out of my brothers hand.

My brother decked him but that doesn't bring the pizza back.

8 hours ago, The Fish said:

Aye, one genuinely thinks the only thing about Newcastle is that stag-dos go there. 

I'm not saying it's a metropolis, but we must be in the top ten for most measures of a top English city? 

London will win out, then Manchester, Liverpool etc.

I'm not trying to detract from your vibrant metropolis but do you really want to be going beyond the top 5 anything in England?

I'd like to see some lists put together, to the extent that I may even google it.

4 hours ago, strawb said:

I'd make an off-colour joke here but I'm too concerned it'd be too close to the truth. ;)

Sunderland easily amongst the worst place... I've ever been to.

There's a place called Waukegan in Illinois that might run it close.

Edited by adios

Tbf fair to all the above abuse, boro is a shite hole as well. It’s why I left.

Aye I did play for Sunderland for a couple of years as a teenager (turned up in a Newcastle top to my first training) but it was a chance at a professional club after sheff wed didn’t work out, so you can gobble my plums fish. 

57 minutes ago, Haydnator said:

Not surpised some mong like that is in Chester-le-Street. Bloody hate the place, can't wait to fuck off out of it.

Thats about 15 years ago when it had a "night life".

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thats about 15 years ago when it had a "night life".

It had that? :lol: Only thing that could possibly be classed as half decent here now is a Wicket Gate place which is jam packed full every weekend anyway, so you'll get your proportion of knob ends in there.

Edited by Haydnator