mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Any mackem would have known that.

We'll be keeping an eye on you Fish.

Spoiler

It's called "Ouroboros" . This is in the second sentence of the article we both googled

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Any mackem would have known that.

We'll be keeping an eye on you Fish.

Hide contents

It's called "Ouroboros" . This is in the second sentence of the article we both googled

:lol:

"if it does happen the best we can hope for is to try to tack ourselves onto that group of sides outside the elite but in the top half."

mackem fish on the takeover, despite not having a single clue who is behind the takeover or what their intentions are.

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

Making the same gamble Ashley does with us? In thinking what he's got is enough.

As Alex mentioned that hasn’t been his pattern during his tenure. 

Ashley also did allow a spend, while not to the degree many wanted (and he didn’t allow it in the January window) we still spent a fair amount of what we brought in besides the Sissoko money on Gayle, Ritchie, 2 cb’s, a full back etc. In contrast the mackems got McGeady and a few loans in. That’s less a gamble and more hitting on 20 in blackjack. 

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

Ashley also did allow a spend, while not to the degree many wanted (and he didn’t allow it in the January window) we still spent a fair amount of what we brought in besides the Sissoko money on Gayle, Ritchie, 2 cb’s, a full back etc. In contrast the mackems got McGeady and a few loans in. That’s less a gamble and more hitting on 20 in blackjack. 

We made £1m more in transfers in our summer relgation window than they did in theirs.

9 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

"if it does happen the best we can hope for is to try to tack ourselves onto that group of sides outside the elite but in the top half."

mackem fish on the takeover, despite not having a single clue who is behind the takeover or what their intentions are.

Well, for a litany of reasons the likelihood of being taken over by a megarish oil state looking to make us a play thing is slim to none. That leaves wealthy investors who're mere mortals by comparison, which means we likely won't be spending £1bn to catch up with the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, etc. 

If that's true we won't be bullying our way into the title chase, which leaves that group I mention, or midtable mediocrity.

Am I wrong?

10 minutes ago, Howay said:

As Alex mentioned that hasn’t been his pattern during his tenure. 

Didn't mean it was his M.O. just that he probably thought that what he had would be sufficient to stay in the 2nd tier while he sorts out a buyer for the club.

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Fish is from seaton sluice iirc. Counterintuitively, there are actually a lot of mackems living in SE Northumberland.

BURN HIM

Batter him would be more fitting. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ewerk said:

We made £1m more in transfers in our summer relgation window than they did in theirs.

True, I just mean that as big a gambler as Ashley is he did still allow a spend it’s just he could also then be his usual self and cut it short in the summer before he risked fucking it all up in January as we made so much from player sales. We spent about 60% of what we brought in, they spent less than 10% I’m not defending Ashley as he still unnecessarily gambled (and has doubled down on that this season) I just see the Mackems lack of spend pointing to financial issues. 

The mackems sunk without much of a fight, like Villa, and then spent something like £1.5m? I just don’t think that points to being an Ashley type gamble, I think it points to a need to use the incoming Pickford money elsewhere. 

Edited by Howay

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Well, for a litany of reasons the likelihood of being taken over by a megarish oil state looking to make us a play thing is slim to none. That leaves wealthy investors who're mere mortals by comparison, which means we likely won't be spending £1bn to catch up with the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, etc. 

If that's true we won't be bullying our way into the title chase, which leaves that group I mention, or midtable mediocrity.

Am I wrong?

Yes you're wrong.

• It's likely to be the same people that wanted Liverpool, so have a lot of money to invest in a football club and lofty ambitions.
  • They seemingly want Benitez, and unless they're thick as pig-shit they'll know he won't be content with not being given the resources to challenge.
  • There's barely any value to be added by taking us from where we are to upper mid-table... so what would the incentive be?
  • The woman fronting the bid was involved in the takeover of Man City by a megarish oil state to make a play thing. They are the circles she moves in, so slim-to-none is a stupid thing to say. 100% of her history of takeovers consists of what you're suggesting is unlikely.

Hope that helps correct you, marra.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Didn't mean it was his M.O. just that he probably thought that what he had would be sufficient to stay in the 2nd tier while he sorts out a buyer for the club.

I just don’t see that being the reason. Short has never really held off in summer windows despite them surviving in the PL. All he had to do was look at Villa and how rough their season was, despite spending, after having a similar PL campaign. 

He also hasn’t seemed that active if he’s looking for a buyer has he?

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Yes you're wrong.

• It's likely to be the same people that wanted Liverpool, so have a lot of money to invest in a football club and lofty ambitions.
  • They seemingly want Benitez, and unless they're thick as pig-shit they'll know he won't be content with not being given the resources to challenge.
  • There's barely any value to be added by taking us from where we are to upper mid-table... so what would the incentive be?
  • The woman fronting the bid was involved in the takeover of Man City by a megarish oil state to make a play thing. They are the circles she moves in, so slim-to-none is a stupid thing to say. 100% of her history of takeovers consists of what you're suggesting is unlikely.

Brutal :lol: 

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Yes you're wrong.

It might be, but it might be someone like the owners of Leicester, or Southampton. 

They will want Benitez and Benitez will want to build a team that can climb the league quickly, I'm sure the new owners will back him as best they can.

There's a lot of value to be had in turning Newcastle United into a global brand.

The takeover of Man City contributed to the very rules that will prevent similar megarich owners pumping £1bn into the playing staff of a club.

Keep on trucking you big dafty

5 minutes ago, Howay said:

I just don’t see that being the reason. Short has never really held off in summer windows despite them surviving in the PL. All he had to do was look at Villa and how rough their season was, despite spending, after having a similar PL campaign. 

He also hasn’t seemed that active if he’s looking for a buyer has he?

Do you think they won't spend to survive?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

It might be, but it might be someone like the owners of Leicester, or Southampton. 

They will want Benitez and Benitez will want to build a team that can climb the league quickly, I'm sure the new owners will back him as best they can.

There's a lot of value to be had in turning Newcastle United into a global brand.

The takeover of Man City contributed to the very rules that will prevent similar megarich owners pumping £1bn into the playing staff of a club.

Keep on trucking you big dafty

"How can we turn them into a global brand though"

"FINISH 8TH"

8 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Has written off our new owners spending enough to challenge but has suggested that the club at the foot of the Championship will spend £30m this window. Parody Fish.

Have I fuck, you little tinker. 

I've said that given the state of the league now, the kinds of sums we'd need to spend to compete will mean falling foul of FFP. £30m is buttons by comparison.  And also I gave £20-30m because someone demanded a figure, so I plucked one from the air based on player sales.

But don't let, y'know, what I actually said deter you from your odd campaign. :lol:

Edited by The Fish

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Do you think they won't spend to survive?

As I said in my earlier post there will not be a significant spend. I’m not ruling them spending small amounts like they did in summer or scratching around for some loan deals (they simply have to if Grabban goes back) but they won’t suddenly spend the Pickford money and be able to bring in upper Championship players. 

Just now, Howay said:

As I said in my earlier post there will not be a significant spend. I’m not ruling them spending small amounts like they did in summer or scratching around for some loan deals (they simply have to if Grabban goes back) but they won’t suddenly spend the Pickford money and be able to bring in upper Championship players. 

Even if they shift Kone and Ndong etc.?

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I've said that given the state of the league now, the kinds of sums we'd need to spend to compete will mean falling foul of FFP. £30m is buttons by comparison.  And also I gave £20-30m because someone demanded a figure, so I plucked one from the air based on player sales.

Explain to me how FFP would restrict our spending.

• Like 1