mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

As for FFP, I thought the deal was to assess losses over a rolling 3 year period...? So we could spend like crazy in one season as long as we made it back in the next two, I guess.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Two conversations I think. Ewerk was asking how FFP rules would impact us. 

Must football supporters have a limited vocabulary? 

Howay then Quiff, if you're honest, are my positions (no Abramovic/Mansour style evolution for us I'm afraid & Sunderland should survive) wildly unreasonable? 

See edited post. Not knowing the words you use isn't a limited vocab. You use practically obsolete words

Just now, Rayvin said:

As for FFP, I thought the deal was to assess losses over a rolling 3 year period...? So we could spend like crazy in one season as long as we made it back in the next two, I guess.

Happy Face did some back of a fag packet maths and worked out we could spend something like £400m over the next couple of windows. Dunno how accurate that is and where he got the figures, but what kind of side would £400m actually turn us into? Would it make us a title challenger? doubtful. When Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd could all spend £100m in 1 window to keep the distance vast.

11 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Some awareness that you're talking to football supporters and not chatting Susie Dent up would be a sign of intelligence imo. Just trying to give some constructive criticism, because I care. 

Back on topic your opinions re: the takeover and Sunderland are just safe positions though aren't they? Sunderland stay up then you're right. They go down then great. New owners are average then you're right. Anything more then great

I don't feel very safe, I feel very attacked :lol:

Just because my honestly held opinion isn't way out there, doesn't make it any less valid or any less honestly held. I could be stating we're definitely not getting taken over, as HF is on twitter, but I'm not. I just look at the lay of the Premier LEague landscape and realistically, the best we can hope for is joining that group of teams outside the elite. 

Doesn't mean that's it forever. We could possibly become even better than that with some shrewd recruitment, some luck and some bad things happening at other clubs. But right now, where we are, is so far from where they are that we cannot compete.

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

See edited post. Not knowing the words you use isn't a limited vocab. You use practically obsolete words

I like words. I don't use words to look smart, I just like words. I have a favourite word, it's sesquipedalian. A long, complicated word to describe a long complicated word and to describe someone who is fond of long, complicated words. That's not because I want to seem clever, it's because I like the word.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I reckon it'd put us into touching distance of Liverpool tbh.

Yep, and Arsenal, especially when Wenger leaves.

With Liverpool's defending that's as mad a prediction as any of Fish's.

Does anyone else think Fish and Quiff could both be the same person and we're all being carried along in some kind of schizophrenic battle akin to the one going on in Pruit Taylor Vince's head in Identity?

15 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

With Liverpool's defending that's as mad a prediction as any of Fish's.

Does anyone else think Fish and Quiff could both be the same person and we're all being carried along in some kind of schizophrenic battle akin to the one going on in Pruit Taylor Vince's head in Identity?

I've been as critical of Klopp as anyone for his defence this season but the run they're on has won me over. I certainly don't think Man Utd will stay 2nd anyway Mourinho is already starting to lose his shit.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

@The Fish

I like to think I have a pretty broad vocabulary but I also use different lexicons (ooooOOOOOooooh!) with different people.  ie I don't talk about Game Theory Optimal strategy with everyone like I'm talking to a fellow professional.  As I'm sure you don't talk about Data Science, or whatever, with thompers like you do a work colleague.  

See Hemingway vs Faulkner (the twat).  They both have their place but they know it.  I enjoy Will Self ffs but I don't recommend him to many.

Obviously you are free to do whatever the fuck you want but I'm just trying to support what The Quiff is saying.  Language is first and foremost about clear communication but I also like to think about what makes me sounds like a cunt, like ditching the use of "whom" and "one" and that missing comma at the start of this sentence in this particular circle.

We're all a bit of a cock in some ways.  I've been using semicolons posting on fucking message boards because I'm trying to get used to using them for example.  Cuntworthy! :lol:  

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I'm just not getting my hopes up. 

And I've been consistent with my position; they're shite, but I don't think they'll go down.

It's a dragon, isn't it? Fuck knows what it's called

Puff.

Not you, Fish, the dragon. 'Puff the MAGic dragon'.

3 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

:(

:lol:  I think his position makes him a cunt, not necessarily his talent if that makes you feel any better. 

I think FFP would fuck Sunderland a lot more in the FL than in the premier. I'm sure I read somewhere that on best guess estimates they're at the end of their 3 year loss allowance, they will be penalised if Short did spend more than they make. The FL can and have in the past docked clubs points for various misdemeanors including administration. So that's one of the main reasons they haven't spent as in the summer they'd have been well aware of that and docking points would've seriously hampered any promotion push :lol: or, like now, if they tried to buy their way out of trouble it could've risked a points deduction now or next season which again would either relegate them now or put them on their way next year. 

All of that supposes they have the money to spend but they can't, the truth is that they couldn't spend even if there was no FFP restrictions. They are fucked. Why would Short effectively sell their debt to an outsider instead of sorting it himself? It doesn't make much sense to me unless he can't afford it. Either way, they can't spend their way out of trouble. They're fucked.