England

LeazesMag

Surely one of Robinson, Ben Foster (if Woy could convince him), Fraser Foster, Kelvin Davis, Scott Carson or any of the English keeps in the championship who play regularly should have been picked ahead of Jack Butland?

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the fuss about this Butland kid getting selected. Chances are that whoever they taken won't get any time on the pitch, so do you take someone like Forster who is never gonna be an England regular, or do you take a young lad who they obviously feel has a big future and take the opportunity to let him see what a big tournament is all about.

Take the kid and pray he isn't called on to play imo.

Surely one of Robinson, Ben Foster (if Woy could convince him), Fraser Foster, Kelvin Davis, Scott Carson or any of the English keeps in the championship who play regularly should have been picked ahead of Jack Butland?

I quite like Robinson, his career has nose dived through bad moves and playing for a struggling club but I think he is def better than Green.

robinson and foster both rules themselves out, Carson plays for bursaspor, forster has the easiest goalkeeping job in the world and davis is 35

Butlands an easy choice, as gem says hell almost certainly not play and its good experience for him if hes thought to be a future england keeper

Aye. He's also one of those that struggles with his weight. How the fuck, in this modern age, with all the training they do, can a Premier League footballer be taking on enough calories to be overweight.

You don't take fat people to international tournaments. Not on Woy's watch.

He's not top class but Robinson was perfectly capable as England keeper, that freak bobble was a once in a career type of thing that just happened at the worst possible time. Can't blame him for getting sick of all the shit from it tbh and deciding he'd had enough.

Much better than Green and Carson imo. Pretty damning indictment of the goalkeeping options we've had to pick from recently like.

I quite like seeing a big fat lad in nets though so I have time for Robinson, even though he is, by and large, crap at his job.

southall.jpg:good:

He's not top class but Robinson was perfectly capable as England keeper, that freak bobble was a once in a career type of thing that just happened at the worst possible time. Can't blame him for getting sick of all the shit from it tbh and deciding he'd had enough.

Much better than Green and Carson imo. Pretty damning indictment of the goalkeeping options we've had to pick from recently like.

What people forget about that bobble is that he was entirely at fault for the first goal, caught entirely out of position, flat footed in no man's land as the ball looped gently over him into the net.

Plus one of my abiding memories of the 2006 world cup is Robinson surrendering position by repeatedly punting it over everyone's heads to his opposite number.

has anyone seen the England short clip ads thats been playing about it on ITV i think during commercials there was one where garath southgate supposedly scored a penalty wtf he fucking missed stupid ad. i cant be arsed with england cause they are a waste of fucking space quater finals is all where good for.

It was a shame for Robbo, it pretty much ruined him for a while.

He was a great keeper for us, and the automatic choice for England, then after that match he was the shadow of the player he was. He kept making errors, and eventually he was let go.

Still, £40,000 a week probably softens the blow a bit.

What people forget about that bobble is that he was entirely at fault for the first goal, caught entirely out of position, flat footed in no man's land as the ball looped gently over him into the net.

Plus. never play it back to your keeper directly toward goal, knock it to either side of the post.

Plus one of my abiding memories of the 2006 world cup is Robinson surrendering position by repeatedly punting it over everyone's heads to his opposite number.

everybody makes mistakes, even Peter Shilton did, in important games too. Two spring to mind straightaway.

Plus. never play it back to your keeper directly toward goal, knock it to either side of the post.

What a load of shite. If the keeper is stood in the middle of the goal you don't pass it 15yds away from him on the offchance he drops an almighty clanger!

What a load of shite. If the keeper is stood in the middle of the goal you don't pass it 15yds away from him on the offchance he drops an almighty clanger!

15 yards !

I will not be watching England tonight, but I hope they win. Obviously. It will be interesting to see any u-turns in the press reaction if they play well and win. Fickle bastards.

Remember, these are the same people who said Keegan was "tactically naive" then they slated Sven for being too cautious [ie tactically astute], Hoddle for being brainless and lacking responsibility, Capello for doing well in the qualifying groups but disastrously in the big tournament, and McLaren for having no charisma etc.

Then wanted Harry the barrow boy almost to a man for being a motivator and lacking tactical astuteness just like Keegan and in the process put together a club team which wasn't as good as the one Keegan did.

You can't win. It's a poisoned chalice. At least Woy will set himself up for life for the bashing he is going to get, and having said all of that, its still the pinnacle of an English managers career.

Edited by LeazesMag

I will not be watching England tonight, but I hope they win. Obviously. It will be interesting to see any u-turns in the press reaction if they play well and win. Fickle bastards.

Remember, these are the same people who said Keegan was "tactically naive" then they slated Sven for being too cautious [ie tactically astute], Hoddle for being brainless and lacking responsibility, Capello for doing well in the qualifying groups but disastrously in the big tournament, and McLaren for having no charisma etc.

Then wanted Harry the barrow boy almost to a man for being a motivator and lacking tactical astuteness just like Keegan and in the process put together a club team which wasn't as good as the one Keegan did.

You can't win. It's a poisoned chalice. At least Woy will set himself up for life for the bashing he is going to get, and having said all of that, its still the pinnacle of an English managers career.

I reckon they wanted harry because he always gives them a story, he cant help himself

That England team is piss poor like, after the season they've just had, we're expecting Gerrard, Downing and Carroll to lead our line! It's a pathetic state to be in.

thing is, Downing and Andy Carroll are typical English product type attackers. Carroll is a player who the opposition know what he will do but he is extremely good at it and is difficult to stop. Downing doesn't have the touch and dribbling ability of Johnson or the pace of Lennon but he is a good crosser of the ball from either flank and is a box to box player. It's what Hodgson is going to do IMO, he will pick typical English players and play a conventional English type system. I can see his point, nobody knows if it will work yet but he will play to the strengths of the players rather than ask those players or other players to try and play with the technical and tactical methods of the foreigners.

We will see. Its a new era, its his approach, he's the boss now and I wouldn't write him off, he only has to reach the quarter finals and he has done as well as most of his predecessors. England have never reached the final of this cup and only reached the Semi Finals twice.

I agree actually and I think over time we're better off finding an English team to fit together and play the English way rather than look to just our best players like we have done in the past (such as the whole Lampard/Gerrard farce). But I still think our pool of players at the moment is the poorest I have ever seen since I've been into football.