Davide Santon signs a 5 year deal with Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

Have enjoyed reading the last few pages although being at work it's took about 3 hours.

As much as people don't want to heap praise on anyone in particular, somethings going right if we can within the space of a year bring in the likes of Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux, Santon etc.

As much as it will stick in peoples throats, the only ones who can claim the credit are the two at the top and Graham Carr. The policy definitely comes from above and whe I understand Ants point that most football people will know these names, actually then watching them, making sure they fit our footballing and financial criteria is still a very skilful role.

I am sure there are many other premiership managers who would give their right arm to have bought the likes of Cabaye this summer. The fact that we have him shows somebody doing a lot of planning very well.

We just now need to get a decent striker across the line tomorrow.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Your Name Here
Some pretty negative comments on here. Surely a great signing?

Nobody knows. He's certainly a signing.

I’m in the ‘if he was the next Maldini he wouldn’t be available for £4-5m unless he comes with serious baggage’ camp, but stand to be corrected if he exceeds his price tag.

Guest Your Name Here
Have enjoyed reading the last few pages although being at work it's took about 3 hours.

As much as people don't want to heap praise on anyone in particular, somethings going right if we can within the space of a year bring in the likes of Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux, Santon etc.

As much as it will stick in peoples throats, the only ones who can claim the credit are the two at the top and Graham Carr. The policy definitely comes from above and whe I understand Ants point that most football people will know these names, actually then watching them, making sure they fit our footballing and financial criteria is still a very skilful role.

I am sure there are many other premiership managers who would give their right arm to have bought the likes of Cabaye this summer. The fact that we have him shows somebody doing a lot of planning very well.

To be fair I think you’re jumping the gun. Out the five players you’ve named only Tiote has proved himself in the PL (when he wasn’t suspended) and he‘s started his second season in less than sparkling form.

Quality players perform to a consistently high standard season in season out, it remains to be seen if we’ve signed anyone who fits that description since our return to the PL.

does nobody read the fucking thread

Santon, was given that title playing really well under mourinho, since then hes had a couple of injuries and a chop and change of managers and was loaned out by their last one

inter have no manager at the moment but mourinho clearly rated him while he was there.

hes not coming with baggage beyond wanting to prove himself again and gain back the reputation he built up under mourinho which is no bad thing you dont pick up your first international cap as a defender for italy unless youre a good player.

Think everyone on here is just following the fm hype around him.

hardly, hes earned that title of the next maldini playing under mourinho, lost his way with injuries and constant manager changes since but the lad is a quality player.

its not like hes sprung from obscurity I know a few posters, myself included, do watch italian football a fair bit.

the boys good, simple as that.

He earned the title of the next Maldini about as much as D'allessandro earned the title of the next Maradona. Let's keep it real here, keep it neg. TEAM NEG.

I think he's a good player, the thing is he's an actual footballer who can control the ball with his feet, unlike Danny Simpson. Hopefully he'll blossom with us and a 1st team place, I think he could do really well especially if we got a LB and put Santon on the right. Next Maldini though, somehow I don't think so.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

you really can't give them credit for signing players with bad injuries they might not be over, and one who went on strike to engineer a move who man.u decided was too much hassle to sign and hasn't even managed 90mins for us yet.

Come on Ct even you can't big up the board for shite like that honestly it's beyond a stretch.

Someones got to get some credit somewhere Ant. You must be pleased with this Santon bloke when most were fearing Wayne Bridge. Cabaye is looking very good already has a great pedigree and was a steal.

Without going through them all, it seems on the face of it we are bringing decent players in and not old has Beens or journeymen.

I appreciate we are not competing financially with the top Six, but given the dross that could be coming in, this policy seems decent.

fuckinghell, some right negative people on here.

mourinho trusted him, he developed into a player that completely stopped a certain cristiano ronaldo playing, and had a really good season in 2009-10 from what i recall. He then rather fell out with benitez, and leonardo, and had minor injury problems. at cesena he was a big fish in a small pond.. at this club he'll be what we need on either flank. if he stays fit and doesn't have a strop at whoever the boss is.

Guest Your Name Here
fuckinghell, some right negative people on here.

mourinho trusted him, he developed into a player that completely stopped a certain cristiano ronaldo playing, and had a really good season in 2009-10 from what i recall. He then rather fell out with benitez, and leonardo, and had minor injury problems. at cesena he was a big fish in a small pond.. at this club he'll be what we need on either flank. if he stays fit and doesn't have a strop at whoever the boss is.

And dropped him?

“Santon was called up for two further international friendlies over the summer of 2009 but when he returned for the new season he found himself out of favour with Mourinho”

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/tf/features.ns...F3?OpenDocument

Good insight into what we’ve bought. Sounds talented but mentally fragile.

I think this is a really class signing, one of the two players to be genuinely excited about that we've acquired this season (the other is Cabaye.) Hope he can hit the ground running - luckily, unlike Enrique, he won't have Fat Sam in charge to brutally mismanage his development and break his confidence.

Like all players I'll wait and see what he's like for us.

I haven't seen as much excitement for a young player since.,,,,, err, how about Hugo Viana?

Rarely has a bloke needed a blow job and or a good cowie more than yee. Ye depress me.

Guest Your Name Here
Like all players I'll wait and see what he's like for us.

I haven't seen as much excitement for a young player since.,,,,, err, how about Hugo Viana?

You can’t do that :lol: No, you have to cream your pants every time we sign a young foreign player before they’ve kicked a ball.

Clicky

Max Evangelista saying he still thinks Santon has a very bright future and that Newcastle should build up his confidence, He didn't get a chance under Benitez or Leonardo & that his fitness is fine and his problems were all mental.

I'd be playing Santon wherever his preferred position is TBH. If that's at right back switch Simpson over to the left. Santon looks to be very right sided, and he's not going to get the time and space like he would in Italy in the Premier league so wanting to constantly check back inside will have him found out quite quickly. Simpson's in pretty poor form anyway so might as well try to play him down the left. Alternately they should actually sprig for a proper left back. Don't know why they're not interested in PVA, even on loan for the season it would be a wise move.

All the hype about this kid came from games when he was playing on the left hand side and that's clearly we're we've bought him to play.

This. But if we could get a LB as well then get him straight on the right.

Thats unlikely though so as it is, going into the QPR game in two weeks.....

---Krul---

Raylor---Saylor---Colo---Santon

:lol:

All the hype about this kid came from games when he was playing on the left hand side and that's clearly we're we've bought him to play.

Been watching as many clips as I can find of this lad and I have to admit he looks a decent LB. Seems very right footed though where as Maldini could use both but he likes to get up the pitch, is quick and strong. He also like to cut in from the left which should give us something different.

Been watching as many clips as I can find of this lad and I have to admit he looks a decent LB. Seems very right footed though where as Maldini could use both but he likes to get up the pitch, is quick and strong. He also like to cut in from the left which should give us something different.

I'll admit to having seen almost nothing of this kid, but watching the clips of him when on the ball he'll always check inside towards his right foot. That's neither here nor there - my point is this - if the kid wants to play right back then that's where we should play him as he's no doubt infinitely more talented than Danny Simpson. There's no need to stick him in at left back just because we sold our left back, when that's probably not his preferred position. If he did a good job filling in at left back in a pinch elsewhere then great, but it's an indication that he'd probably do an even better job playing on the right. I'd rather give him a chance to excel where he wants than to be adequate in a position where he's filled in in the past.

Danny Simpson can likely do just as poor a job on the left as he does on the right. When you don't actually make tackles it doesn't matter what your preferred foot is.

I'll admit to having seen almost nothing of this kid, but watching the clips of him when on the ball he'll always check inside towards his right foot. That's neither here nor there - my point is this - if the kid wants to play right back then that's where we should play him as he's no doubt infinitely more talented than Danny Simpson. There's no need to stick him in at left back just because we sold our left back, when that's probably not his preferred position. If he did a good job filling in at left back in a pinch elsewhere then great, but it's an indication that he'd probably do an even better job playing on the right. I'd rather give him a chance to excel where he wants than to be adequate in a position where he's filled in in the past.

Danny Simpson can likely do just as poor a job on the left as he does on the right. When you don't actually make tackles it doesn't matter what your preferred foot is.

Agreed - and from what I've watched -albeit on youtube he's far more effective as a RB.

i.e. looks more comfortable on the ball and gets crosses in.

Edited by duo

Against Spurs as well.

Looks like he is attack minded, good with his feet too.

Will definitely give us something new from LB.

Interesting who he will forge a partnership best with...Jonas or Marveaux.