Official Olympics 2012 Thread

catmag

Luol Deng is a muslim and played for team GB at these Olympics...was that out of gratitude to the country that granted his family asylum, or is it because the country where he has lived and been educated since he was 14 has a team so good he wouldnt have got in it?....Any B-Ball "experts" on here? :D

The telling point may well be that Deng became a British citizen in 2006, a year after it was announced that the Olympics would be held in London in 2012. He made his GB debut in 2007 in the European Cup. I think its safe to say that despite his stateside drawl Luol Deng considers himself one of "us". Am sure Norman Tebbitt would approve ;)

Edited by PaddockLad

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's loads of elements of faith I don't feel comfortable being displayed in public. I realise at least that's my problem, no one else's. Don't feel like I need to be patronised by you though.

Do you feel the same when the Dembas do it after scoring a goal for Newcastle?

There's loads of elements of faith I don't feel comfortable being displayed in public. I realise at least that's my problem, no one else's. Don't feel like I need to be patronised by you though.

I wasn't patronising you, I was trying to he restrained in my response to a can of worms that you admit you didn't want to open and I wish you hadn't either.

I was just taken aback at how you in particular could make such spectacularly unpleasant and inappropriate comments. We have a fantastic role model for British Muslims (because like it or not Renton, there are a lot of them and they're not going away) at a time when the relationship with them and the rest of Britain isn't exactly perfect (look at ADP's retarded comments), and the first thing you say of his achievement is to criticise him for respecting his faith. Then compound matters by singling out Islam over other religions in this regard.

Makes for very uneasy reading, incredible small-mindedness and I expect a lot better from someone who's usually so intelligent and balanced.

Do you feel the same when the Dembas do it after scoring a goal for Newcastle?

Yep, and I've posted about it too. Still think he's a top bloke and player, just don't like his religion.

Yep, and I've posted about it too. Still think he's a top bloke and player, just don't like his religion.

I dont understand him having a moment to himself has any effect on you? Its not as if he is saying "You're all shit if you don't believe"

rest of Britain isn't exactly perfect (look at ADP's retarded comments)

Eh?

EDIT: I have no idea what you are referring to here? I don't think Ive once made any derogatory comment whatever to British muslims. I would never say something like that.

Edited by ADP

Ladbrokes have paid out from what I have heard.

IMO they should scrap it and give it to TeamGB.

There is a team award which they will of course win.

Wiggins for the main award, Hoy for 'lifetime achievement', Bolt for overseas, Daley for youngster and the cycling manager for coach.

I wasn't patronising you, I was trying to he restrained in my response to a can of worms that you admit you didn't want to open and I wish you hadn't either.

I was just taken aback at how you in particular could make such spectacularly unpleasant and inappropriate comments. We have a fantastic role model for British Muslims (because like it or not Renton, there are a lot of them and they're not going away) at a time when the relationship with them and the rest of Britain isn't exactly perfect (look at ADP's retarded comments), and the first thing you say of his achievement is to criticise him for respecting his faith. Then compound matters by singling out Islam over other religions in this regard.

Makes for very uneasy reading, incredible small-mindedness and I expect a lot better from someone who's usually so intelligent and balanced.

Oh come on, I hardly slaughtered the bloke. I think Wiggins should edge spoty, but Farhad is a close second. Yesterday wasn't the time or place, I accept that. I'm nee Leazes though.

I dont understand him having a moment to himself has any effect on you? Its not as if he is saying "You're all shit if you don't believe"

Yeah, I struggle to understand why you even care enough to be bothered by it. It's a part of peoples lives that, unless they are extremists, they are entitled to gently demonstrate without comment. Odd.

Eh?

EDIT: I have no idea what you are referring to here? I don't think Ive once made any derogatory comment whatever to British muslims. I would never say something like that.

you have sadly been misnamed as NYD I think

Thing is patriotism is more complicated than that. Immigrant Somalians will think of him as Somali and take pride in that without considering him British. In general Muslims will say "Good, a Muslim won" before they would consdier any British angle.

I'm a great believer in keeping religion private - if a footballer wants to make the sign of the cross or Muamba thinks God saved him and says so or Farah wants to identify himself by his faith then fair enough but I think they leave themselves open to comment on it.

I love the fact that Stephen Kiprotich just won the marathon, went on his knees, touched his head to the floor THEN blessed himself. Renton must be seething! :D

Oh come on, I hardly slaughtered the bloke. I think Wiggins should edge spoty, but Farhad is a close second. Yesterday wasn't the time or place, I accept that. I'm nee Leazes though.

Shame he isn't here still, you two could make up over this.

Ugandan fella winning the marathon has just done the same, as Renton puts his foot through the telly. Bolt crossing himself before his races presumably ok.

Thing is patriotism is more complicated than that. Immigrant Somalians will think of him as Somali and take pride in that without considering him British. In general Muslims will say "Good, a Muslim won" before they would consdier any British angle.

I'm a great believer in keeping religion private - if a footballer wants to make the sign of the cross or Muamba thinks God saved him and says so or Farah wants to identify himself by his faith then fair enough but I think they leave themselves open to comment on it.

Perhaps, but you're painting with broad strokes there. Not all Muslims/Somalis think the same (even if they look it..). I'm not at all religious but I can see the positives in such a gesture.

I was struggling to remember the last time people were weirdly and unnecessarily hostile to someone displaying their PERSONAL faith at a moment of profound PERSONAL importance to them, thanks for reminding me it was Muamba. You guys must be a hoot at weddings...

"if anyone has any objections-"

"YEAH! What the FUCK are we doing in a CHURCH when it's ALL a load of FUCKING BULLSHIT, you STUPID CUNTS"

Leazes is loving this. I think all religion is a crock of shit. I also think every person, regardless of their beliefs, has the right to pray to who they want and when they want. Cant get my head around the sad fucks who are irritated that a bloke who made the whole country feel proud last night are pissed off that he dared to show he was a muslim. When you win a gold medal you can have an opinion on the matter.

It was a single comment after a couple of beers ffs! :lol: Should have deleted it. It is a subject worthy of debate though, another time maybe.

Leazes was always worst when he got in from the pub too, alcohol exposes your inner prejudices.

this is going a bit far, think we can leave it for now and keep on talking about the olympics in here folks?

You're such a moderator Andrew! ;)