Steven Taylor

JawD

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a decent centre back, capable of some very good football. His horrendous record with niggling injuries means he looks unlikely to have a long enough uninterrupted spell in the side to build any real form.

I thought he might have grown out of his reckless decision making phase, but if anything he's got worse. His performance in the battering we got off Liverpool at home last season is about as bad I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

From Sky Sports on Sunday, comments from agent Willie McKay, regarding his client Steven Taylor:

"Steven is now fully fit, but he is frustrated not to be playing as that is what he loves doing. He has not been involved for the last six games and of course it is frustrating.

"Steven fully understands that the team have been on a good winning run and the manager does not want to change a winning team.

"Joe Kinnear has promised Steven a new deal in January and he could be made available for loan if he is not going to be playing for Newcastle."

27 year-old Taylor was transfer-listed early in the 2010/11 season, signing a five and a half year extension to his deal in December 2010 expiring in 2016.

It would be daft to sell him as then we'd need to buy another two central defenders. I see Yanga-Mbiwa as the long-term replacement for Coloccini so somebody to fill in for Yanga-Mbiwa then somebody to replace Taylor/upgrade on Williamson.

I don't rate Taylor at all but we'd need to sort that out first.

Willo and Colo just seems to work. They dont really have any pace between them so i'd expect Yanga (who I think will come good) to take over at some point.

I think Yanga-Mbiwa/Williamson works best due to Yanga-Mbiwa's pace.

It would be daft to sell him as then we'd need to buy another two central defenders. I see Yanga-Mbiwa as the long-term replacement for Coloccini so somebody to fill in for Yanga-Mbiwa then somebody to replace Taylor/upgrade on Williamson.

I don't rate Taylor at all but we'd need to sort that out first.

That's spot on...but the divvy won't sit happily on the bench to be called on when we're short.

Sees himself as a future England captain rather than the Mike Williamson cover he really is.

If he concentrated on doing his job and just defending then he might still be in the team but he tries to play up to this "Geordie Lad" persona on the pitch and in the media which pisses is off. Slapping elbows on people, dancing infront of the opposition keeper and slating Mackems isn't what he should be concentrating on. He should be looking to win games and keep a clean sheet above anything else. That's why Williamson is better than him, he doesn't mess about, he knows himself he's limited, like we all do, but he doesnt do anything stupid either.

Yeah Williamson is much chunkier and more focused now and you can see him shouting at others. Been really impressed the way he's knuckled down after being out of the side for a while.

Williamson has always been one for barking orders at others though, remember being impressed by that aspect of his game when we were in the Championship.

Taylor's pointing has always seemed for show or to cover his own errors. I remember him doing it once to Beye and Beye looked at him as if thinking "who the fuck does this kid think he is?" :lol:

It used to annoy the fuck out of me watching Williamson shouting out orders whilst making mistakes himself :lol:

Reminds me a guy I used to play football with. He'd always be shouting at me to mark the best lad on the pitch whilst doing nowt himself. <_<

I think Willo is a good organiser and his positional sense is very good too. He is just a bit slow and his very uncomfortable on the ball.

When Lambert was Norwich manager he just told Grant Holt to stand next to Colo when we gained possession. The ball just went to Willo each time and he had to bring the ball out. The crowd were on his back by about 25 minutes. Really simple, yet effective tactics. It didnt stop us winning the game though! Ha.

I always hoped he would come good but tbh he's never really improved a great deal. He has also been picking up bad injuries the last few seasons, he has to understand if you spend 3 month you're going to have a rough time holding down a spot. He should pack in moaning and fight for a place but tbh it seems like he's just going to twist on and moan and slip down the pecking order.

I agree with Tooj mind we're really in no place to be selling him especially with the colo stuff. He's probably just trying to get an improved contract.

I always hoped he would come good but tbh he's never really improved a great deal. He has also been picking up bad injuries the last few seasons, he has to understand if you spend 3 month you're going to have a rough time holding down a spot. He should pack in moaning and fight for a place but tbh it seems like he's just going to twist on and moan and slip down the pecking order.

I agree with Tooj mind we're really in no place to be selling him especially with the colo stuff. He's probably just trying to get an improved contract.

It's strange to say it but looking at Yanga (who already looks way ahead of him) the future doesn't look so good for Taylor. I wouldn't sell him unless he starts playing up...Get another youngun in next summer as cover.

an improved contract?

his current deal runs until 2016 and he does not deserve one.