Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Absolutely. I like his possible solution in that article though, of just kicking it into the long grass and sorting it out at the next GE. At least public mood may have shifted by then.

Also, she must know that running with Brexit will cost her political career - even if it is possible to make a success of it, it's not a short term outlook.

It's a point I was aware of and made on here a while back. Article 50 is the divorce. We aren't allowed to even flirt with other countries while we undergo it let alone marry them. Nee fingers or owt. I fully expect the divorce won't be amicable when the wife has 27 split personalities.

I wonder if anyone has bothered to cost this exercise? At a time when the Tories have proudly slashed the civil service. Then apart from the financial cost, what about the opportunity cost? This will clog input legislature for years, maybe decades.

Lawyers and consultancy firms are gonna make a fucking fortune out of it, that's for sure. It'll be the new Y2K/Sarbanes-Oxley as the date approaches.

I wonder if May laying it on very (too) thick about taking care of the interests of struggling families was simply her set up so she can say in some months' time that Brexit would likely make their lives considerably worse, so she can't in good conscience do it against the core principles she laid out at the very start of her tenure.

Edited by trophyshy

A fairly speculative piece here, tbf if we were to take all it says at face value it sounds pretty ominous for the uk in general. The conclusion it reaches does have the ring of common sense to it though....

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/07/14/everything-you-need-to-know-about-theresa-may-s-brexit

Who is Ian Dunt? And is that meant to be journalism? :lol:

How the NYT sees the UK:

"deeply divided over its decision to leave the European Union, its place in the world in flux, its unity threatened by calls for Scottish independence and its economy at risk"

:lol:

and yet the chap who just bought it says it has nothing to do with Brexit.

He cant say anything else, if he even hinted that the decision was influenced by Brexit, then the government would be more likely to block the deal.

In Corporate Affairs departments, these issues are considered very carefully. If they said this was influenced by Brexit, they would be essentially scuppering their own deal. I would have thought your experiences selling sofas would have taught you that much.

He cant say anything else, if he even hinted that the decision was influenced by Brexit, then the government would be more likely to block the deal.

In Corporate Affairs departments, these issues are considered very carefully. If they said this was influenced by Brexit, they would be essentially scuppering their own deal. I would have thought your experiences selling sofas would have taught you that much.

:lol:

Whatever.

Our governments busy spinning it as good Brexit news.

There's an article on the Guardian slating Hammond for calling it great news. May has formally welcomed the news. Less than a week in and one of her big pledges in her speech is looking like absolute bullshit.

There's an article on the Guardian slating Hammond for calling it great news. May has formally welcomed the news. Less than a week in and one of her big pledges in her speech is looking like absolute bullshit.

May spoke with SoftBank Chairman Masayoshi Son on Sunday and welcomed the investment, the prime minister’s spokeswoman Helen Bower told reporters Monday.

“It’s very much in the national interest,” Bower said.

SoftBank pledged to keep the company’s headquarters in Cambridge and to at least double employee headcount in the U.K. in the next five years.

Also

By moving quickly, SoftBank was able to get in ahead of any change in U.K. takeover rules -- should May be inclined to eye future deals more critically.