Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is my memory failing me or wasn't "Mackem" always a derogatory term? There's something bizarre about seeing a Guardian political commentator use it: "Mole is one of 82,934 Mackems who voted to leave the EU seven weeks ago"

They reclaimed it as an identity sometime in the 80s.

I first heard it around 76 or 77 and it was definitely a pisstake/insult at that time.

I think they felt they needed a more defined separation from the Geordie label - it was/is funny as fuck reading the reluctance on RTG to accept that historically Geordie was used as a catch-all for the North East as evidenced by the video evidence of them singing it at Wembley in 73.

They reclaimed it as an identity sometime in the 80s.

I first heard it around 76 or 77 and it was definitely a pisstake/insult at that time.

I think they felt they needed a more defined separation from the Geordie label - it was/is funny as fuck reading the reluctance on RTG to accept that historically Geordie was used as a catch-all for the North East as evidenced by the video evidence of them singing it at Wembley in 73.

Ah right, cheers :lol: . I remember it being used as an insult in Shields (N) in late 80s and possibly into early 90s mind - as with most things we were probably a bit slow to catch on  :lol:

It rallied 2.5% on the news that we know who our prime minister is and we don't have he uncertainty a 9 week leadership campaign would bring and the possibility of a Leadsom government. It's still down about 6 percent since the referendum. Keep watching for more signs of dead cats

Somebody needs to tell this cats it's dead. Up another 800 points since you posted this. Now a yearly high.

You're an idiot and you're beyond out of your depth on this. There are people on here whose job it is to stay on top of what's going on with the economy, and the news is not good at all. For once, show some humility and shut your face about a topic that you are woefully uninformed on.

You're an idiot and you're beyond out of your depth on this. There are people on here whose job it is to stay on top of what's going on with the economy, and the news is not good at all. For once, show some humility and shut your face about a topic that you are woefully uninformed on.

:lol: I'm in the shallow end, wearing armbands and swimming strongly.

And don't be a sulky prick and play the humility card. Jesus. We are grown ups arguing about politics on a football forum. Grow a pair.

He's finally looked it up.

CT, that's exactly the point. It's not me that needs to grow up. You are trying to engage in a discussion that you know nothing about. We aren't adults discussing anything, because an adult that was "grown up" would stay away from things he knows nothing about.

Somebody needs to tell this cats it's dead. Up another 800 points since you posted this. Now a yearly high.

I don't think you've entirely understood the metaphor. I'll refer you to my previous post about the FTSE 250, which you apparently ignored. It's revival looks like a vote of confidence in UK plc, but closer inspection reveals a divergence between the outperformers, which have been largely overseas earners, and comprise about half the index, and domestic businesses like house builders, retailers and challenger banks, which are struggling.

There could well still be chaos in the markets when we find out what "brexit means brexit" actually means - they're in no rush to tell us, and no rush to trigger article 50.

If brexit actually ends up meaning we stay in the EU in all but name then I'll be tempted to adopt your BAU outlook, CT. until we know what we're giving up its anything but

I don't think you've entirely understood the metaphor. I'll refer you to my previous post about the FTSE 250, which you apparently ignored. It's revival looks like a vote of confidence in UK plc, but closer inspection reveals a divergence between the outperformers, which have been largely overseas earners, and comprise about half the index, and domestic businesses like house builders, retailers and challenger banks, which are struggling.

There could well still be chaos in the markets when we find out what "brexit means brexit" actually means - they're in no rush to tell us, and no rush to trigger article 50.

U.K. Insurance recovers, UK retailer DFS soars, Bellway house builders forecast 27% jump in revenues and says "Customer confidence and trading conditions have remained strong.

All UK

As I said to you a few weeks back, I'm happy to end this tit for tat news story posting if you are.

I think there's something worth pointing out here mind, throughout this - the stuff we saw post-Brexit was the reaction to the news. Not the actual consequences of leaving. That said, some of these reactions will form consequences (the pound seems unlikely to recover any time soon).

So yes, the reaction is levelling out. It's probably not worth carrying out short term comparisons of the FTSEs now. I do believe there will be long term implications, and that we will be able to point to Brexit as a cause of them (positive or negative) but we haven't seen them yet IMO.

I am happy to concede that we haven't experienced a Lehman brothers style crash that many were predicting, CT. but again that is largely because we still don't know what we're going to end up with. If brexit does end up meaning brexit then don't rule it out.

But there lies the problem. If article 50 was triggered immediately after the result, as the brexiteers wanted, we'd be in a very different situation. Not that the situation we find ourselves in now is particularly encouraging, with all domestic economic indicators down post-referendum.

I am happy to concede that we haven't experienced a Lehman brothers style crash that many were predicting, CT. but again that is largely because we still don't know what we're going to end up with. If brexit does end up meaning brexit then don't rule it out.

But there lies the problem. If article 50 was triggered immediately after the result, as the brexiteers wanted, we'd be in a very different situation. Not that the situation we find ourselves in now is particularly encouraging, with all domestic economic indicators down post-referendum.

This is certainly true.