Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't place too much reliance on the Irish caucus blocking any trade deal. It may be used as a deterrent to a hard border but when it comes to the crunch I can't see them following through.

8 hours ago, ewerk said:

I wouldn't place too much reliance on the Irish caucus blocking any trade deal. It may be used as a deterrent to a hard border but when it comes to the crunch I can't see them following through.

They’ll probably be pissed anyway..,

8 hours ago, ewerk said:

Watching Question Time and I’m not sure where Thetford is but I can only assume it’s where England keeps all its spackers.

It’s the back of beyond in Norfolk where the army has (or did have) a field exercise area. Everyone hated it.

Boris Johnson today sets out his stall to be prime minister, pledging to deliver Brexit by “retaining” the £39bn demanded by Brussels until he gets a better deal and saying only he can save the country from Jeremy Corbyn and Nigel Farage.

In the first interview of his campaign, the leadership frontrunner said he would combine a tough line on Brexit with a full-throated return to One Nation Tory policies at home.

Johnson vowed to run the country as he ran London when he was mayor with a “team of stars” in his cabinet and Downing Street enacting policies for “the least well off”.

But he warned that the Conservative Party’s survival depended on leaving, with or without a deal, on October 31.

Referring to sea monsters from Greek mythology, Johnson said: “I truly believe only I can steer the country between the Scylla and Charybdis of Corbyn and Farage and onto calmer water. This can only be achieved by delivering Brexit as promised on October 31 and delivering a One Nation Tory agenda.”

Setting out his Brexit plan, Johnson said his government would:

• Hold on to the £39bn Brexit divorce payment until Brussels agreed more favourable terms

• Scrap the Northern Ireland backstop and settle the Irish border issue only when the EU was ready to agree a future relationship

• Change the Brexit negotiating team to put ministers in charge — code for removing civil servant Oliver Robbins

• Guarantee the rights of the 3.2m EU citizens living in the UK

• Step up preparations for no-deal and prepare for “disruption”.

Johnson said: “I think our friends and partners need to understand that the money is going to be retained until such time as we have greater clarity about the way forward. I always thought it was extraordinary that we should agree to write that entire cheque before having a final deal. In getting a good deal, money is a great solvent and a great lubricant.”

Johnson solidifies his position as favourite to succeed Theresa May today with the backing of two cabinet ministers. In an article for The Sunday Times website, the Welsh secretary Alun Cairns said Johnson would “protect our union” and put “excitement back into politics”.

Chris Grayling, the transport secretary who ran Theresa May’s campaign in 2016, said: “The next Conservative leader must be able to get us through Brexit and then pursue the kind of agenda that won David Cameron the 2015 election. They must have the electoral appeal to beat Corbyn. Boris is the one who can win.”

A survey of grassroots opinion by the ConservativeHome website last night had Johnson on 43%, with Gove second on just 12%.

In the interview Johnson also:

• Said he had forgiven Gove for knifing him in 2016 and hinted he would give him a cabinet job

• Refused to commit to televised leadership debates

• Revealed he recently hung up on Donald Trump because he thought the call was a hoax

• Admitted he tried veganism but gave up due to a love of cheese.

In a bid to get his campaign back on track, Gove today unveils his immigration policy. It would force ministers to make an annual immigration statement to parliament, giving MPs the chance to dictate how many people come into Britain and which sectors should offer the most visas.

A source said: “Britain should be open to the brightest and best talent, but with the ability to control who is coming here and for how long.”

In line with the policy Gove supported when he was part of Vote Leave, places would be assigned using an Australian-style points-based system.

Gove has also announced plans to scrap VAT, introduced when Britain joined the EEC in 1973, and replace it with “a lower, simpler sales tax”. VAT has increased over the years from an initial 10% rate to 20%, raising £132bn in 2018-19.

A Gove campaign spokesman sought to distance the environment secretary from the furore over dirty tricks, saying: “Neither the campaign nor any source directed by the campaign is speculating on the source of the [cocaine] story. Any such sources do not speak for Michael or the campaign.”

A Raab supporter said: ‘This did not come from anyone involved in the Raab campaign. We would never look to score cheap political points like this.

“We have nothing but admiration for Michael Gove and all he has achieved as a minister. We simply disagree with him on his decision to take no-deal off the table.”

Just more delusions from the idiot what will be lapped up by the Brexit faithful. I can see the EU being happy to cut us loose if that's the attitude we adopt.

Aye this is fucking ridiculous. Time to start making these irresponsible cunts pay for their actions. Labour MPs handing a big win to all the Tory leadership candidates is pathetic. 

It immaterial. With Johnson as PM it's no deal. No way will we get unanimity for an extension with that buffoon in charge. 

I thought we had a chance of a more moderate tory PM but Farage has put paid to that. Can't see a way out now.