Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"It was not the responsibility of those who wanted to remain in the EU to explain what plan we would follow if we voted to quit the EU."

The words of our Chancellor. Is he for fucking real?

He's got a point though? We have voted to leave the EU, I accept that. But now we really do need a second referendum to see what that entails. Or at the very least, it's not the responsibility of a remainer MP to pursue and negotiate Brexit policy when they fundamentally disagree with it. Perhaps he should have made this clear pre-referendum, although maybe that would have biased the vote to Leave.

So that's both the remain and leave factions of the Tory party now stating it's not their responsibility to have a post-Brexit plan in place :lol:

So that's both the remain and leave factions of the Tory party now stating it's not their responsibility to have a post-Brexit plan in place :lol:

And the EU won't even negotiate on a plan until after article 50 has been acted on and completed, that's at least 2 years away, assuming anyone is brave enough to press the button. Business as usual.

It's a disaster. One would imagine that the cabinet and Whitehall would have had plans in place. It's clear they never imagined Brexit would win.

I reckon Hunt probably fancies himself for leadership based entirely on the fact that he considers that he 'held his nerve' against the NHS, and can therefore be trusted to get a good deal from Europe. If he does run, that'll be a central pillar of his argument, I'm sure.

That aside, did I just see Parky talking up Farage?? :lol: True working class hero, Farage.

He's got a point though? We have voted to leave the EU, I accept that. But now we really do need a second referendum to see what that entails. Or at the very least, it's not the responsibility of a remainer MP to pursue and negotiate Brexit policy when they fundamentally disagree with it. Perhaps he should have made this clear pre-referendum, although maybe that would have biased the vote to Leave.

It'd incumbent upon the sitting government to have a plan in place for both outcomes of a 50/50 referendum. Just because you're hoping for one result, doesn't mean you don't have to give any consideration to the other one. He's the Chancellor of the fucking Exchequer, not some Junior MP.

I genuinely can't believe that he's said it's not the Remain camp's responsibility to have a plan. There are no camps any more. There weren't the minute the polls closed. There's a government of which he is a senior member and to have no plan for what to do is disgraceful.

I reckon Hunt probably fancies himself for leadership based entirely on the fact that he considers that he 'held his nerve' against the NHS, and can therefore be trusted to get a good deal from Europe. If he does run, that'll be a central pillar of his argument, I'm sure.

That aside, did I just see Parky talking up Farage?? [emoji38] True working class hero, Farage.

Nicky Campbell made the point to him this morning that, given how well he handled the negotiation with Junior doctors, he might be best leaving the upcoming negotiations to someone else. The brass necked cunt responded that he reached an agreement in that negotiation.

Farage btw, what an ungracious victor that cunt is. I'm sure the best way to open negotiations is to mock your adversaries and gloat.

It's embarrassing, but hopefully the Eurocrats don't judge us all based on him.

It'd incumbent upon the sitting government to have a plan in place for both outcomes of a 50/50 referendum. Just because you're hoping for one result, doesn't mean you don't have to give any consideration to the other one. He's the Chancellor of the fucking Exchequer, not some Junior MP.

I genuinely can't believe that he's said it's not the Remain camp's responsibility to have a plan. There are no camps any more. There weren't the minute the polls closed. There's a government of which he is a senior member and to have no plan for what to do is disgraceful.

I can't conceive of what any plan might be though? Because in truth we need to negotiate with the EU, which can only happen after article 50 has been enacted 2 years down the line. Osbourne's job until he leaves is to stabilise the economy as much as he can during this period.

I can't conceive of what any plan might be though? Because in truth we need to negotiate with the EU, which can only happen after article 50 has been enacted 2 years down the line. Osbourne's job until he leaves is to stabilise the economy as much as he can during this period.

So do you honestly think saying "We don't have a plan and it's not our job to have one", having offered the country a referendum that could go one of two ways, is acceptable?

Nicky Campbell made the point to him this morning that, given how well he handled the negotiation with Junior doctors, he might be best leaving the upcoming negotiations to someone else. The brass necked cunt responded that he reached an agreement in that negotiation.

If the EU don't like his deal then he'll simply force it on them. Easy.

So do you honestly think saying "We don't have a plan and it's not our job to have one", having offered the country a referendum that could go one of two ways, is acceptable?

No, the referendum itself was completely unacceptable. They clearly thought they'd win easily. But I don't blame Cameron for not activating article 50 now, I wouldn't. Until then, there's nowt to be done.

Ultimately, Renton and I probably aren't blaming him because we're hoping against hope that someone with an ounce of common sense will come along and see that this is an utter farce. Also, Cameron activating it doesn't help our cause here, as he's gone and finished either way. Him making it a poisoned chalice is the best chance we have.

If I was neutral, I would still say that it is reasonable to expect the Leave campaign to have had a plan, but that it was also reasonable to expect Cameron to have had one. As it turns out, he did. To resign.

Edited by Rayvin

There's no reason why you can't have another referendum, you could conceivably argue that the electorate are more educated now than they were before the last vote.

I think its a good strategy on behalf of Cameron to be honest. The next PM might decide not to activate it and hold another referendum. I live in hope anyway.

It's just walking away and saying it's not my problem any more. Understandable from his point of view but I don't see it as something he's doing for the greater good.

Aye you can't hold another referendum. Do we do best of 3 if Remain wins next time?

This country should never hold a referendum again. What should ultimately happen is that Parliament should suck it up, led by Boris, and come forward to say "actually this is fucking stupid and the choice we've allowed you to make will harm everyone in the country - we've looked at it, which we hadn't done beforehand, and it makes absolutely no sense - so in the interests of the public good, we're not going to implement it".

UKIP would be up in arms, but the majority of the public would support that statement if it had cross party backing and featured several prominent Leave campaigners.