January 2013 transfers

sammynb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I said?? It is on Twitter so If he has that opinion why would he go to Sunderland.

I mean I have shared it too.

Why did Lee Clark go and then pull on an SMB T-shirt? Players like to play at the top level wherever they can and get paid.

Mind, he's only scored 16 in 66 career Premier League appearances, so I wouldn't be too downhearted about losing out.

I mean I have shared it too.

Why did Lee Clark go and then pull on an SMB T-shirt? Players like to play at the top level wherever they can and get paid.

Mind, he's only scored 16 in 66 career Premier League appearances, so I wouldn't be too downhearted about losing out.

You'd like to think that not all players are like that. I think Danny Graham is a good player and could do a good job for us.

He could do a job as a squad player, much rather see him coming on than Shola. But I'd be pretty disappointed he was brought in as first eleven player. He really isn't anything special and I still believe we should be setting our sights a lot higher (even with the fat cunt in charge). For three million I'd be happy to see him come in as well as someone better like.

As for him signing for the makems, like HF says, it's a chance for him to stay in the premier league and get well paid. I'm sure that will more than make up for him playing for our rivals. I wouldn't fancy doing it myself like but I don't have that decision to make!

Even if we are struggling with first and second choice targets, there must be plenty of loan options out there that would offer up better choices than Ameobi etc.

IIRC - Not so long ago - Llambias said was part of our policy that we will no longer bring players in on loan.

We need to reconsider the entire policy & make sure our manager has a team to work with.

Fairly sure Pardew said he wanted a centre back (who could scored 10 goals haha!) a striker & Debuchy in the summer window.

He got fuck all & look where we are now.

Aside from the no loan policy, the no over 27s policy and the no-one over £50k a week policy, isn't the policy to only have one Premier league standard player for every position and one championship level player as back up?

I'm sure Llambias said something along those lines. That we can't afford 22 top quality players.

Problem being they see Shola/Cisse as the quality, Ranger and Xisco/Campbell as the back-up.

I still think we're going to have to pay Deportivo more for Xisco if he plays any more games so you can rule him out of any thinking.

Last season for our strikers we had the policy you suggest. Cisse and Ba (premiership) with Shola, Best and Lovenkrands (Championship) as back up. How we've managed to fuck up to such an extent that we're left with Shola as one of the premiership players with a player who was most likely considered to have played his last game for us and kid who no one seems to think is even ready for the championship as back up is anyone's guess.

I do think in general we were expecting a lot more from our 19 to 21 (22 in Amalfitano's case) year olds this season (Pardew said as much last week). So far Bigi is the only one who looks like he should be anywhere near the first team squad. Mind you I think we've spectacularly fucked up in loaning our young players out to get experience. Inman was being touted as a player with a real chance three years ago yet we've seen nothing of him. Now he's finally gone out on loan he appears to be doing really well. Same with Dummet. Shouldn't these lads have been getting experience before they reached their 20's? I really fear for Campbell and Streete.

I still think we're going to have to pay Deportivo more for Xisco if he plays any more games so you can rule him out of any thinking.

Last season for our strikers we had the policy you suggest. Cisse and Ba (premiership) with Shola, Best and Lovenkrands (Championship) as back up. How we've managed to fuck up to such an extent that we're left with Shola as one of the premiership players with a player who was most likely considered to have played his last game for us and kid who no one seems to think is even ready for the championship as back up is anyone's guess.

I do think in general we were expecting a lot more from our 19 to 21 (22 in Amalfitano's case) year olds this season (Pardew said as much last week). So far Bigi is the only one who looks like he should be anywhere near the first team squad. Mind you I think we've spectacularly fucked up in loaning our young players out to get experience. Inman was being touted as a player with a real chance three years ago yet we've seen nothing of him. Now he's finally gone out on loan he appears to be doing really well. Same with Dummet. Shouldn't these lads have been getting experience before they reached their 20's? I really fear for Campbell and Streete.

Couldn't agree more with this. Spot on. The loaning out younger players thing really annoys me. No wonder Bigi looks so assured in the first team - he had an entire season playing there for Coventry in the Championship. Players like Abeid aren't going to get anywhere playing for our reserve squad, and they're nowhere near ready to be first teamers. Yet we're so weak that we're being forced into using players of that calibre.

David N'Gog linked in the Mail :lol:

Two days later than everyone else. Get people talking about any player coming to us on twitter, and guaranteed it will be in the Mail sometime later. Bent talked about by some yesterday, he will be next.

.com with an excellent bit on our current season/predicament/transfer window

The manager also contributed some patronising waffle for the official site, but refrained from repeating his earlier ludicrous comments about the SJP crowd having a part to play in convincing Colo to stay at the club and honour his contract. That didn't work with Demba Ba did it?

"I think our fans have been particularly faithful and loyal to us because we've had a tough spell with things going against us.

"I think now we've just got to find a way, that's what we're going to have to do. Our game plan that we had last year and the way we played a little bit might need to change to just make sure that we continue being a stable Premiership side and then look to next year to start going back to attacking the top of the league.

"I think that's really where we're at and I think our fans recognise that. For us, it's now about getting the right complement of players and making sure we're strong and put some excitement on that football pitch between now and the end of the year.

"Because in the first half of the season I don't think it's been good enough - and I'm the manager saying that.

"This weekend we've got some horrendous weather coming in and I think it's an important game for the fans to turn up and be strong for us. They've been brilliant all year.

"The snow's coming but we've got probably the best workforce at the ground to clear it and a good relationship with the council and we're doing everything to make sure it's definitely going to be on.

"I think some games will get called off this weekend but I think ours will definitely be on and I'm hoping we go and make our fans happy which will be a nice change."

That's despite ticket prices, ridiculous kickoffs, reduced away allocations, rotten performances, transfer market misadventures and broken promises. Still faithful and loyal, yes but starting to openly question just what is happening on Barrack Road - and not getting answers.

Despite presiding over what is statistically our worse league campaign at this point since 1988/89, the manager remains free from public criticism - despite attempts of numerous national newspapers to suggest otherwise.

That's a reflection of what he achieved personally last season, sympathy with his current plight and a certain belief that we shouldn't repeat previous misadventures of the Owen, Viduka, Luque, Boumsong and Xisco variety.

Pardew can count himself remarkably fortunate that his team's dreadful run has yet to provoke fans into abusing either him, his players or his employers. Far from being fickle and impatient as routinely portrayed by others, the stoicism of our following is both a benefit and a curse.

However that patience and goodwill will evaporate should the inactivity of last summer be repeated in the remaining days of January. As the man said, we're keeping our side of the bargain - 100,000 people watching successive home defeats at the hands of West Ham and Swansea.

Don't mistake an absence of bedsheet protests and abuse for a lack of concern as to our current plight. The jury is out until this window closes and then he'll be judged on whatever team he's able to field. Bemoaning his lot in February as he's done since August will no longer be acceptable - failing to get deals "over the line" becomes Pardew's failure, regardless of the context and detail.

Bland platitudes about great support will count for nowt if results don't pick up in the next few games, as will trying to pass off the return of injured players with that old chestnut about being like a new signing.

At the risk of repeating ourselves, when our first-choice XI took the field earlier this season, their performances were still under-par, but obscured by the goal grabbing ability of the now-departed Demba Ba. That particular get out of gaol card is now longer in the manager's deck.

And similarly to blame the young players for not stepping up is a simplistic approach - yes, we continue to lack quality at youth and reserve level, but unless a club has a golden generation of prospects, then expecting to prosper with more than one in the side is unrealistic.

A further influx of Abeids, Amalfitanos and Bigirimanas would be evidence that we're prepared to reduce the wage bill to a level that would render the side not only incapable of reproducing last season's finishing position, but even remaining in this division.

We seem intent on proving the old adage that if you stand still you go backwards. For Nile Ranger to be in an NE postcode, never mind on the bench is symbolic of the drift we've suffered and if the most infamous comment of Pardew's reign is the one about not selling Andy Carroll, then his "no way back for Nile" line is on the podium.

If we go to Spurs with the same holes in the same areas that 52,000 of the "faithful and loyal" can see now, then fans are entitled to consider their position - and Pardew should similarly take a long hard look at himself.

Here endeth the lesson.

Edited by Barney

I can't really see what good it will do to blame Pardew for the lack of signings. He really plays very little part in the selection or negotiation of them. It seems like they're singling him out because he's the public face of the club.