Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring it on, each one of those articles has a PRESS RELEASE from pardew.

We've heard the same shit year on year "We are not selling X Player, he's indispensable a quality 1st teamer etc" - then sold. I reckon its blind to say that isn't putting our players in the shop window.

But oh no, its fine we're getting someone who snubbed us , ON LOAN just cos he has fuck all loyalty to the club that did pay him more money , and we somehow expect him to care about here? Oh and a hot prospect from 2005 who's not met his potential. Everything's great again huh?

That's the way football is now. Most fans are callow, dopey shithouses who have been conditioned by branding and doblespeak. Football died a while back...We hold onto something within this paradigm which is like a ghost of football. It's a product now bro.

Yeah maybe, I'm becoming a miserable old cnut though, who wants to fight for the good ol' days !

I do want to say, I do fucking love the club, its been such an important part of my life - but this thread, transfers and the fact a majority of fans seem to defend Ashley and co in the name of "the club" make me go into whine overdrive.

Is it wrong to be totally dissatisfied with what we've got, given we've sold nearly (or over?) 50 million quids worth of player in the last 3 years?

We've heard the same shit year on year "We are not selling X Player, he's indispensable a quality 1st teamer etc" - then sold. I reckon its blind to say that isn't putting our players in the shop window.

Which players are you referring to?

Yeah maybe, I'm becoming a miserable old cnut though, who wants to fight for the good ol' days !

I do want to say, I do fucking love the club, its been such an important part of my life - but this thread, transfers and the fact a majority of fans seem to defend Ashley and co in the name of "the club" make me go into whine overdrive.

Is it wrong to be totally dissatisfied with what we've got, given we've sold nearly (or over?) 50 million quids worth of player in the last 3 years?

No it's not wrong.

Exactly. As far as I can recall the ONLY instance of that happening was with Carroll.

If you're referring to Ba or Enrique, I'll think you'll find that Pardew acknowledged their capacity to go but expressed his determination to hang on to them. In both cases it was the player who wanted out, so I fail to see where that allegation comes from.

Bring it on, each one of those articles has a PRESS RELEASE from pardew.

But oh no, its fine we're getting someone who snubbed us , ON LOAN just cos he has fuck all loyalty to the club that did pay him more money , and we somehow expect him to care about here? Oh and a hot prospect from 2005 who's not met his potential. Everything's great again huh?

Because we've sold so many first team players since January 2011, right? We sold Nolan and brought in Cabaye. We released Barton on a free. We couldn't keep Ba because of a cheap release clause. So much for "putting players in the shop window."

That talk that Pardew always puts out is to lower our expectations just in case a superbid (which Ashley will surely accept) does come in. But for all the talk of us being a selling club, we haven't sold the crown jewels yet. We'll see if that changes.

I'm talking Martins, Carroll, Nolan, Barton, Perch, Ba (we leaked his minimum fee is feasible, he was thought to have a knee that could explode at any time) , Best, Lovenkrads, Bassong, Shay Given , James Milner (that still hurts) . So many fans thought Milner being right to go - yet hes a first team regular at Man City who we know could buy anyone in the world they want for that position.

For me, none of those players was truly replaced. Ba and Cisse are blatent punts at cash ins , and so is nearly every player we've bought. I get the feeling its about resale value, when we buy (until Gomis).

Milner, best, Given, Carroll were the worst examples imo. All touted and "put in the shop window" with no replacements lined up. I know Best wasn't great for us, but look what we were left with after that.

Perhaps I'm seeing only one side of this, but I really think we are a selling club. It makes no sense to sell players of that quality without a replacement THERE FIRST. When Liverpool sold Torres, what did they do? they lined up Suarez before they sold and had Carroll on a promise.

I also suspect another pattern, of managers being with us, then having the rug pulled from under their feet by selling without buying - then placing a new manager and the fans think its a new start. I think we are taking the club apart, from a competitive sport perspective.

Edited by scoobos

Is it wrong to be totally dissatisfied with what we've got, given we've sold nearly (or over?) 50 million quids worth of player in the last 3 years?

Majority of us defend Ashley? Where have you been over the last few years? If we're happy with a player or two he signs doesn't mean we adore him all of a sudden. You don't have to be completely for or against a person.

Milner, best, Given, Carroll were the worst examples imo. All touted and "put in the shop window" with no replacements lined up. I know Best wasn't great for us, but look what we were left with after that.

At the time most of us thought that we'd gotten a good fee for Milner.

Best was never a PL striker.

Given put in a transfer request ffs.

Carroll was sold for silly money.

I fail to see how any of them were put in the 'shop window'. Do you honestly think that purchasing clubs pay much attention to what the manager has to say? You haven't shown any evidence whatsoever to back up your assertions.

I'm talking Martins, Carroll, Nolan, Barton, Perch, Ba (we leaked his minimum fee is feasible, he was thought to have a knee that could explode at any time) , Best, Lovenkrads, Bassong, Shay Given , James Milner (that still hurts) . So many fans thought Milner being right to go - yet hes a first team regular at Man City who we know could buy anyone in the world they want for that position.

For me, none of those players was truly replaced. Ba and Cisse are blatent punts at cash ins , and so is nearly every player we've bought. I get the feeling its about resale value, when we buy (until Gomis).

Perhaps I'm seeing only one side of this, but I really think we are a selling club. It makes no sense to sell players of that quality without a replacement THERE FIRST. When Liverpool sold Torres, what did they do? they lined up Suarez before they sold and had Carroll on a promise.

I also suspect another pattern, of managers being with us, then having the rug pulled from under their feet by selling without buying - then placing a new manager and the fans think its a new start. I think we are taking the club apart, from a competitive sport perspective.

Firstly, every club that gets relegated automatically becomes a selling club. Players like Martins were never going to stick around because a) they wouldn't want to, and B) we only could keep a few of the top earners at the club in the CHampionship season, so the likes of Martins had to go to get them off the wage bill. Thus it's ludicrous of you to attempt to link selling anyone that summer to us being a "selling club". Especially given how much credit Ashley and the club received for holding on to high earners such as Coloccini, a tactic that paid dividends as we got promoted with ease.

Secondly, in certain situations, players are going to go regardless of whether the club really want to sell them or not. The likes of Enrique and Given more or less forced their moves, whereas the likes of Ba had clauses in their contracts and took advantage of said clauses when a better club came along. More often that not we've replaced players well, and I think you're exaggerating the abilities of the likes of Best. He's not a great loss. You seem unable to seperate different contextual situations from this idea that we're a selling club.

Thirdly, you seem to love this "shop window" phrase a bit too much. A manager gets asked a question, he answers it fairly and in some cases makes it clear (to any clubs interested) that if anyone wants to buy a particular player, that he won't come cheap. We're not the biggest/wealthiest club so there's little point making it clear such and such player won't get sold because that could come back to haunt the manager - as it did with Carroll (the timing of his departure was awful, but he was never worth that much money and it made sense to sell him). Milner being sold like he was was a shame, but at the time I and many others saw it as good business because £12m seemed over his market value. Only in hindsight were we perhaps wrong, although Man City paid too much for him too.

If Pardew started going on the radio and saying "he's a great player, he'd fit in well at Man Utd, they should bid for him" then I would agree with you that he's touting our players. But he's not doing that.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Barton's playing....

There aren't clubs queuing up to buy him, and Remy is worth far more if they can sell him, or even for a loan fee.

Plus like I alluded to above, I think clubs with the relative financial might (in that division) of ourselves 4 years ago and QPR today can afford to hold on to a few established Premier League players. Especially with parachute payments being what they are.

There aren't clubs queuing up to buy him, and Remy is worth far more if they can sell him, or even for a loan fee.

Plus like I alluded to above, I think clubs with the relative financial might (in that division) of ourselves 4 years ago and QPR today can afford to hold on to a few established Premier League players. Especially with parachute payments being what they are.

He's been playing really well and just been subbed, so I think you're right. They're putting him in the shop window...

Apparently Wigan want 20 million and we looking at him as a possibility after cabaye goes to PSG, which I've not heard owt on for weeks.

Good player, I'd have him but not for that much when we've been trying to save money getting a forward in

To ensure he doesn't get injured. He's leaving them whatever happens to get him off the wage bill.

Remy has a calf injury according to the Beeb

If Pardew started going on the radio and saying "he's a great player, he'd fit in well at Man Utd, they should bid for him" then I would agree with you that he's touting our players. But he's not doing that.

Ok , I understand what you're saying for a lot of that post, but this is exactly what we did and why I'm so pissed off.

http://www.football365.com/manchester-united/8838034/Pardew-hoping-to-keep-Cabaye

For me he's saying there - no bid made, but he'd fit in well and is in the same category as Ronaldo and Rooney. (ffs).

That's pretty much using the media to let Man U know you're ready to talk, I reckon. the quote of rooney and Ronaldo was just unnecessary

Keeping on track , 15 mil is stupid ... no way is he worth it.

Edited by scoobos