Politics

Christmas Tree

14 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Brigit and Vorders just had a couple of toots before a night out on the pull

F_fewW0WYAAnT0u.jpeg

Nice to see Bridget is gettting the hang of this politics malarkey with the de rigeur oversized necklace. 

28 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Teaching it is, then!

:suicide:

I was going to mention the civil service but, whilst it’s worked out ok so far and I’ve managed to reinvent myself to a degree, I’m not sure I can actually bring myself to recommend it :lol: 

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

You can try AAT. It's the level below the professional qualifications (CIMA, ACCA, ACA etc). I think it's been developed a lot since I studied it years and years ago, but it used to be that if you're already knowledgeable of the basics/intermediates you can skip the first level(s) to cut out a lot of wasted time.

I think it's available at most colleges these days, and there are plenty of distance learning options I think.

Or skip that and go straight to the cert level CIMA. This lot do a lot of free study materials (I think all their course books are available to read online for free): Free CIMA Certificate Level Courses - Get Started Now (astranti.com) and it's pretty cheap to buy the extras, I qualified through Astranti and it was infinitely cheaper than places like BPP and Kaplan (my company at the time still paid for it like)

Much appreciated, thank you!

Just now, Alex said:

I was going to mention the civil service but, whilst it’s worked out ok so far and I’ve managed to reinvent myself to a degree, I’m not sure I can actually bring myself to recommend it :lol: 

Tbh that's also quite feasible, especially with one of the main passport offices etc. being around here - there's plenty of options. Probably feels like less of a life sentence when you're not going down that route in your early 20s too :lol:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

Tbh that's also quite feasible, especially with one of the main passport offices etc. being around here - there's plenty of options. Probably feels like less of a life sentence when you're not going down that route in your early 20s too :lol:

You're in an excellent location workwise, good access to London and the home county new towns. Take your time and try to move into something you'll enjoy or at least not hate. No offence to the bean counters, and it well compensated, but accountancy?  :unsure:

Teaching, could you get yourself into a university or private school? 

28 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Actually I’m pretty sure there’s one of the places for growth / government hubs in Peterborough 

If my lass and everyone else in her work circle is anything to go by, teacher would be a really bad move. Every fucker wants out, and the career change people that they get coming in later in their lives hate it just as much.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If my lass and everyone else in her work circle is anything to go by, teacher would be a really bad move. Every fucker wants out, and the career change people that they get coming in later in their lives hate it just as much.

True, I know countless anecdotes like this. I think private schooling would bebetter but no doubt the competition for places is high. And I assume Meenzer would need a PGCE. I had assumed these would be free from fees but this is tory Britain so..... no.

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

One of my mates has just quit as a deputy head in a school. He's doing supplying teaching instead until he can figure out what he wants to do next 

Re:careers. It’s weird how people end up in certain ones. We had a work thing where I used to work at the real tennis court at Jesmond Dene. We’d done a website for them. Anyway, the pro that was there actually lived in the little cottage next door with his family. He’d left his previous job at Cambridge university. He’d been there for about 25 years but was still the least senior of the 3 pros there. He wasn’t posh and had somehow gotten into the sport rather than being a  Cambridge University graduate. The place, though a lush old building with loads of Victorian features was dropping to bits. The members seemed to be   middle aged doctors and the like. The bloke who was the pro seemed to have relocated due to him being able to live next door free of charge gor the duration of his employment there. There seemed to be absolutely no money in it. I just found it a really bizarre career choice. Almost as bizarre as the rules of the actual game. Good luck to him, he was a canny lad and everything but really? 

Edited by Alex

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

One of my mates has just quit as a deputy head in a school. He's doing supplying teaching instead until he can figure out what he wants to do next 

That’s depressing isn’t it? Because he’ll have been on good money as well 

8 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

My lass has thought about doing supply just cos it takes away all of the politics and non-teaching stuff that you shouldn't have to do.

She's currently trying to give up her (unpaid) head of year title cos all it means is that every fucking parent who thinks their kid needs special treatment has a direct line into her to deal with on top of all her teaching.

It's a completely broken profession.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

My lass has thought about doing supply just cos it takes away all of the politics and non-teaching stuff that you shouldn't have to do.

She's currently trying to give up her (unpaid) head of year title cos all it means is that every fucking parent who thinks their kid needs special treatment has a direct line into her to deal with on top of all her teaching.

That's all pretty much what he said to me 

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I'll have been past that building hundreds if not thousands of times and never realised that's what it was. :lol: 

You most certainly will have. 
IMG_1856.thumb.jpeg.f6b0fa984746860570078aad0df575ed.jpeg

Halfway up Matthew Bank on the way in to town. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I suspect it’s a symptom of the whole country. Well, anything dealing with the general public.  NHS etc. 

People are dicks.

Edited by Holden McGroin

30 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I'll have been past that building hundreds if not thousands of times and never realised that's what it was. :lol: 

Like most people I would imagine :D 

13 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Doesn’t get any better in higher education, our lass is a university lecturer and it’s just as bad. She gets paid pretty well but if I worked out her hourly rate it would be either hilarious/depressing.

Also she is starting to get the kids who had 2 years at home through covid and they are all backwards apparently

• Like 1