Politics

Christmas Tree

Chris Mason BBC Political editor:

It’s been coming. The festival of guesswork, the orgy of speculation. Not even the Platinum Jubilee could dial it down.

The simple truth is the Partygate row has incensed lots of people and a growing number of Conservative MPs felt it was behaviour that was impossible to defend.

But this is more than just wine and leaving dos. It’s what it says about the prime minister’s character that unnerves so many MPs.

Some are blunt: either they remove Boris Johnson or the electorate removes him - and them - from government at the next election.

But plenty - including the rebels - expect Boris Johnson to win tonight.

But an arithmetical win is not the same as a political one. Theresa May won a confidence vote easily, but was gone within six months.

What we will get tonight is an indisputable number: the number of Tory MPs who want the prime minister out. It’s a number that will hang around Boris Johnson’s neck for the rest of his time in office.

He will argue other numbers matter far more: the nearly 14 million people who voted Conservative at the last election. The whopping majority he won.

But make no mistake: confidence votes are almost always bad news for political leaders.

9 minutes ago, Craig said:

Chris Mason BBC Political editor:

It’s been coming. The festival of guesswork, the orgy of speculation. Not even the Platinum Jubilee could dial it down.

The simple truth is the Partygate row has incensed lots of people and a growing number of Conservative MPs felt it was behaviour that was impossible to defend.

But this is more than just wine and leaving dos. It’s what it says about the prime minister’s character that unnerves so many MPs.

Some are blunt: either they remove Boris Johnson or the electorate removes him - and them - from government at the next election.

But plenty - including the rebels - expect Boris Johnson to win tonight.

But an arithmetical win is not the same as a political one. Theresa May won a confidence vote easily, but was gone within six months.

What we will get tonight is an indisputable number: the number of Tory MPs who want the prime minister out. It’s a number that will hang around Boris Johnson’s neck for the rest of his time in office.

He will argue other numbers matter far more: the nearly 14 million people who voted Conservative at the last election. The whopping majority he won.

But make no mistake: confidence votes are almost always bad news for political leaders.

If he wins tonight but gets a coating from his colleagues is there a chance he’ll go to the country? 🤔 

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

If he wins tonight but gets a coating from his colleagues is there a chance he’ll go to the country? 🤔 

I hope so cos they'll get fucking pummelled. There's a lot of talk that tory MPs are nervous about exactly this but it would be insanity from Johnson. His only hope would be that Starmer has to resign and they can paint Labour as in turmoil. 

• Like 1

Obviously today he says Johnson just needs to win by one vote. Hopefully whoever ultimately takes over will send tits like him and Dorries back to the back benches. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:
Hopefully whoever ultimately takes over will send tits like him and Dorries back to the back benches. 

Whenever he does eventually fuck off, this’ll be the fascinating thing- who, out of the shitshow that is the sitting Tory MPs, will replace the shitshow that is the Tory Cabinet? 
If someone like Gove or Truss takes over, I don’t see much changing, if someone like Jeremy Cunt wins, I can see a clearout, but it’ll be poking a copper bolt with a bog brush- the big turd might shift but you’re left with lots of filthy floaters and muddy water. 

They’re utterly fucked, I hope. 

• Like 1

Hunt is probably the most recognisable name that's publicly confirmed he's voting against Johnson, but is that enough to consider him to be leader? 

Perhaps they need to think in a completely different direction and away from the current cabinet. JRM is a fucking parody of himself. 

Raab, the actual Justice Minister, unable to say whether the MP who is accused of rape should or should not be allowed to vote tonight. :lol:

What is this world we live in? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Raab, the actual Justice Minister, unable to say whether the MP who is accused of rape should or should not be allowed to vote tonight. :lol:

What is this world we live in? 

You couldn't make this shit up, could you? Make a decision you utter fucking clem.

57 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I think this is exactly what will happen. Full scorched earth

Do MPs still have to vote for an early election or is it at the discretion of BJ? You’d have to think that many Tories voting for a GE would be turkeys voting for Christmas.

2019 - May - 200 v 117 (63%) - Gone within 6 months

1989 - Thatcher - 204 v 152 (57%) - Gone within days

I reckon he needs at least 225 else his days are numbered. So his critics need to rally at least 135. 

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Do MPs still have to vote for an early election or is it at the discretion of BJ? You’d have to think that many Tories voting for a GE would be turkeys voting for Christmas.

Good question, I think the Commons has to vote for it, so the opposition and the payroll tories would get it over the line

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Wonder who wrote this for her? … not wrong tbh…

She's got a fucking nerve to criticise anyone for being self-serving. Guarantee that when he was in office she'll have been nothing but praiseworthy of Hunt. Stupid bitch.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Craig said:

She's got a fucking nerve to criticise anyone for being self-serving. Guarantee that when he was in office she'll have been nothing but praiseworthy of Hunt. Stupid bitch.

People in the replies giving her grief for not speaking out when she was working under Jeremy Cunt, but give her a break for ffs, it’s hard to speak when she’s got the gaffer’s cock down her throat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Good question, I think the Commons has to vote for it, so the opposition and the payroll tories would get it over the line

I'm sure it's the Commons. Didn't they have to vote for it in 2019? 

The fucking irony that since the fixed term parliament bill was passed we're coming close to our 5th Parliament - with only one of them going the full term! All under the stewardship of the Conservative Party. What a fucking disaster they are.

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

To lose one anti corruption advisor would seem unfortunate….

It never ceases to amaze me how, whilst doing the honourable thing and resigning, these Tory’s always manage to remind us that they are, still, cunts. 
“I will always be grateful to for getting Brexit done … blah, blah, slurp”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

It never ceases to amaze me how, whilst doing the honourable thing and resigning, these Tory’s always manage to remind us that they are, still, cunts. 
“I will always be grateful to for getting Brexit done … blah, blah, slurp”

Also…

:lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

The fixed term Parliament act was effectively repealed so I think it just requires the monarch to call an election on the PM’s advice now