Politics

Christmas Tree

39 minutes ago, trooper said:

Criminal barristers have voted to strike in an escalating dispute with the government over funding for trials.

The vote by defence barristers is likely to cause chaos in the criminal courts in England and Wales.

Lefty lawyers 

7 hours ago, Rayvin said:

What infighting? They look fairly solid on that front at the moment.

Well there's you and spngebob for one. Momentum are still there too (not saying you support these of course). I think you need to recognise the dilemma Starmer is in fighting this rotten corrupt government ba ked by the full might of the Murdoch press. He's going to make decisions you don't agree with and may be tactically wrong even. But the intentions are purely to get into power and stop labour  being impotent. By all means don't join the party, but not voting for them (if I'm reading this right) plays right into the tories hands. 

I don't think he should Ihave stopped his front bench from joining the pickets and I certainly don't think he should punish them. It's a moral and tactical mistake imo. But I will support him. Plenty in the party will use it as an opportunity to attack him and weaken the party though imo. 

• Like 4

I'm not "infighting" with Labour because I'm not in Labour. I'm someone whose vote they want to win.

The sentence would be better phrased as "the problem with Labour is that they don't stand for things that people believe in, and let them down at the worst possible times. They rely too much on taking their true believers for granted and wonder why they can't seem to move forward".

My issue with Labour is something Labour has done to me, not something I've done to them.

27 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm not "infighting" with Labour because I'm not in Labour. I'm someone whose vote they want to win.

The sentence would be better phrased as "the problem with Labour is that they don't stand for things that people believe in, and let them down at the worst possible times. They rely too much on taking their true believers for granted and wonder why they can't seem to move forward".

My issue with Labour is something Labour has done to me, not something I've done to them.

This sort of position combined with a tory base that will NEVER desert them is why they are walking it at the minute.

The left demands perfect, the right will take literally anything that isn't the left. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

This sort of position combined with a tory base that will NEVER desert them is why they are walking it at the minute.

The left demands perfect, the right will take literally anything that isn't the left. 

I don't demand perfect. That's an unfair characterisation. I could take all manner of bullshit if I felt that the overall strategic aim got us closer to a world I want to see. I demand more than what they are offering.

It isn't my fault that Labour is unable to articulate their strategy, that they are scared of their principles, and that they are stuck in old, dead ways of thinking.

If they back PR I'll vote for them, because that gets us closer to me not having to make this fucking compromise again. It'll be the end of the party though so I'm not at all convinced they're brave enough to do it. Power > everything else.

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I could take all manner of bullshit if I felt that the overall strategic aim got us closer to a world I want to see. I demand more than what they are offering.

Those sentences seems contradictory unless you really believe a Labour government would be as bad as this current tory government. 

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Power > everything else.

Well, yeah, for obvious reasons. 

Edited by Renton

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Those sentences seem contradictory unless you really believe a Labour government would be as bad as this current tory government. 

Yeah, why not demand more than what we're all currently getting first.

Then we'll take it from there once we get this lot out. Nobody benefits more from traditional Labour people not voting Labour than those currently in power. 

But if one of the gates to them regaining your vote is a promise to revisit Brexit, that's also a promise to lose the next election so they are not going to do that. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Then we'll take it from there once we get this lot out. 

That day will never come, and you know it. Every subsequent election it'll be the same argument "yeah but the Tories look really scary this time, just suck it up and we can look at what you want next time".

No. I have my lines in the sand and frankly, so do the rest of you. I appreciate that the prevailing wisdom on here is that if Tory manifesto = Tory manifesto and Labour manifesto = Tory manifesto +1 good policy then we can happily vote for Labour, but for me it's not good enough. I have no faith at all that this approach leads us to "Labour manifesto = Labour manifesto" because there is no vision to suggest that this is the case. I am tired of watching good people bending over backwards to avoid scrutiny and misrepresentation from fucking morons. I am tired of watching good people needing to hide their values - especially when, as "Labour's train strikes" prove, it doesn't even make any fucking difference.

• Like 1

I’m sorry but I can’t get onboard with anyone who isn’t going to vote for the lesser of two evils at the next election. And by that I mean whoever is most likely to beat the Tories in your constituency. Whatever your motivation, if you don’t do that, you’re enabling what is probably the most corrupt and damaging government this country has ever seen. I don’t even want to think about what they’d do if they got another term. It’s about the bigger picture here. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

That day will never come, and you know it. Every subsequent election it'll be the same argument "yeah but the Tories look really scary this time, just suck it up and we can look at what you want next time".

No. I have my lines in the sand and frankly, so do the rest of you. I appreciate that the prevailing wisdom on here is that if Tory manifesto = Tory manifesto and Labour manifesto = Tory manifesto +1 good policy then we can happily vote for Labour, but for me it's not good enough. I have no faith at all that this approach leads us to "Labour manifesto = Labour manifesto" because there is no vision to suggest that this is the case. I am tired of watching good people bending over backwards to avoid scrutiny and misrepresentation from fucking morons. I am tired of watching good people needing to hide their values - especially when, as "Labour's train strikes" prove, it doesn't even make any fucking difference.

Oh come on man. This is fucking ridiculous. No manifesto has been released yet. And you really think a Starmer government would be as bad as the current lot except for maybe one good policy. Really? Because from where I am, Labour's front benches are full of talented, competent, and as far as I am aware, not corrupt, people. If for nothing else surely you recognise they would be infinitely more competent than the Johnson party and not constantly stoking culture wars and wedge issues? You're lost to me! 

lost star wars GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1