Politics

Christmas Tree

2 hours ago, Alex said:

It’s this complete ignorance of our own history which leads to English exceptionalism. People are so fucking clueless that they think the world hates us because they’re jealous and that they owe us some debt of gratitude. This seems to cut across all classes too. Ironically many are obsessed with history. Or rather a glorious, idealised version of it. 

It is idealism bordering on revisionism tbh.  As you said, it is the glorification of times and events that weren’t as happy as some people make them, at least not if you were on the wrong side or in the wrong class.

But this kind of nostalgia from a happy minority is fed to the public by the likes of certain tabloids and tv stations like the history channel happy to twist or at least ignore historic truths. The newest tool to preserve wrong historical facts is to challenge dissenting views as “woke”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

It is idealism bordering on revisionism tbh.  As you said, it is the glorification of times and events that weren’t as happy as some people make them, at least not if you were on the wrong side or in the wrong class.

But this kind of nostalgia from a happy minority is fed to the public by the likes of certain tabloids and tv stations like the history channel happy to twist or at least ignore historic truths. The newest tool to preserve wrong historical facts is to challenge dissenting views as “woke”.

How do your lot deal with history and why? I’ve always thought that the Germans have done very well in recognising their past but maybe that came through defeat.

The flag waving Britons seem to be oblivious to Britain’s indiscretions and perhaps that feeds their current world view.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Until somebody somewhere starts being honest about Brexit the country will stay utterly fucked

This. This x 100. Fucking this.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ewerk said:

How do your lot deal with history and why? I’ve always thought that the Germans have done very well in recognising their past but maybe that came through defeat.

The flag waving Britons seem to be oblivious to Britain’s indiscretions and perhaps that feeds their current world view.

Well, if your past is horrendous and you don’t want to be stay the world’s über-cunts there is liitle room but to be critical about our history.

Having said this it probably isn’t straight forward. A lot of it is down to the first generation after WW2 in the 1960s getting influenced by western culture. Because until then there was hardly a clear break with the past and a critical understanding of the past. You only have to look at how many participating in war crimes and the holocaust were able to get away scots free. It is ridiculous that we do need to charge 90-100 year old people for minor participations because the main culprits never got prosecuted or got even acquitted and are lucky to be dead now.

You can’t take a critical understanding of your past for granted, too. There are always phases were people are getting tired of it, especially when the German society is drifting to the right again. You just have to look at a lot of people living in the states of the former GDR and the fascists of the AfD. They do have an idealistic picture of Germany’s past that isn’t any different to the one of the British brexiteers glorifying the British imperial past.

• Like 5

Starmer was spot on yesterday when he said the tories are deliberately provoking these strikes as part of the cutlure war. And a further distraction from Johnson's personal life (where the fuck did that article on Carrie Johnson disappear to btw?). They really are fucking scum. However, I think they've probably misread the room here, as usual. And underestimated the Labour front bench. Look at this hilarious exchange between Javid and Streeting's excellent drop the mic response:

• Like 2

On 18/06/2022 at 04:20, RobinRobin said:

Conflicted about this. IMHO he isn't a journalist. At best he is a whistleblower. Whistleblowers should be protected generally if what they do is motivated by public interest. Not sure he's anything other than self interested. At heart he's a hacker and while what he manipulated Chelsey Manning into providing was of public interest I doubt that was why he did it. There was clearly no journalistic content. 

I also won't have the argument that he has been "imprisoned" for years. He chose to avoid going to face sexually assault charges by skipping bail. Whatever the reason for that two women didn't get the chance to have their complaints heard.

Again, IMHO he is a narcissist and if I never hear about him again it will be too soon. 🙂 

Bit sad by this tbh. It seems that the US has won. Especially if people believe him to be a russian stooge etc. 

Most of that is smear isnt it? Him and Snowdon had valid information that was in the public interest.

his "rape" charge was proven to be false and aquitted ,wasn't it? (Based around an accusation of not using a condom?) 

Timeline here on the BBC but I think the UN getting involved etc , shows some backing for them
BBC News - Julian Assange sex assault allegations: Timeline

Since then, the UK has gone on to implement the same dark monitoring and influencing tools that Snowdon lifted the lid off: I don't believe this to be conspiracy , I've actually done some jobs in the past to mitigate against some of these tools, for clients overseas.

FinFisher / Gamma International (whatever the new product is) Remember when "terrorism on Ipads and phones" were a threat, and you had to turn them on at British Airports to prove they weren't bombs? (They can see that on an xray, surely?) 

The Data Communications Bill (cough.. UK Patriot Act "if you are a patriot you will share all your personal communications without the need for a warrant or criminal suspicion")

The "Nudge Unit"  (behavioural Insights team)

and most recently, the data reform bill. (All your datas is ours :) )

We wouldn't know anything about FinSpy / Fisher type activity if it wasn't for Snowdon. The fact that most of these techs are in, and we've a lot of sensible people believing these people are stooges or doing it for their own benefit , is pretty worrying for me. 

Side note, but propaganda / government control is , for me, pretty serious here at home now - I was pretty pissed off to see advertising boards for the current government all over the town the other week (Levelling up etc). Is that legal, outside of election campaigns?

Daily rant done :D

Edited by scoobos
  • Like 2

Not disputing any of the above but I do want to point out that he can work to shed light on all of that and still be a Kremlin asset. He has consistently resisted publishing Kremlin focused information, criticised the Panama Papers publication as focusing too much on Russia, and of course helped other Russian asset Donald Trump secure victory over Clinton.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/04/22/mueller-report-confirms-it-assange-is-not-whistleblower-or-journalist/

Acknowledging all of this as relevant information in judging his motives does not mean our governments have won and control our minds, it simply means that the world is full of cunts. It also doesn't mean that what he revealed wasn't important or necessary. It does perhaps suggest that his motives were not "pure".

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Not disputing any of the above but I do want to point out that he can work to shed light on all of that and still be a Kremlin asset. He has consistently resisted publishing Kremlin focused information, criticised the Panama Papers publication as focusing too much on Russia, and of course helped other Russian asset Donald Trump secure victory over Clinton.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/04/22/mueller-report-confirms-it-assange-is-not-whistleblower-or-journalist/

Acknowledging all of this as relevant information in judging his motives does not mean our governments have won and control our minds, it simply means that the world is full of cunts. It also doesn't mean that what he revealed wasn't important or necessary. It does perhaps suggest that his motives were not "pure".

I think this is spot on. Assange was very selective with what he leaked and it has proved disastrous for the UK and especially the US. Fuck knows what his motives were but am I fuck trusting somebody like him. 

Always makes me think about HF mind, who was his biggest supporter. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Side note, but propaganda / government control is , for me, pretty serious here at home now - I was pretty pissed off to see advertising boards for the current government all over the town the other week (Levelling up etc). Is that legal, outside of election campaigns?

Yeah, I posted about this a few months ago. It fucking stinks but gets no coverage. 

• Like 2

As I said - conflicted. Clearly it needed to be disclosed just have an issue with his motivation and methods. 

He wasn't cleared of the sexual assault charges. They were time expired while he was hiding in the Embassy, as I understand it. 

He used the US allegations to seek to avoid those charges. 

Your other points are valid and certainly not anything to apologise for. 🙂 

38 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Fucking hell. Right at this very moment in time Dominic Raab is in charge of the country.

For how long did he have to wait to be at the top of the waiting list?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Fucking hell. Right at this very moment in time Dominic Raab is in charge of the country.

Another crack at the full frontal lobotomy. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Isegrim said:

For how long did he have to wait to be at the top of the waiting list?

“ not something we’d be getting in to” was their response to being asked if he’d jumped the queue. 

So, aye, of course he fucking did. 

Be a referral from a private consultation. Always pissed me off this, private healthcare in this country is often just a way of bypassing the gatekeepers, with the NHS doing the actual work, for free.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Renton said:

Be a referral from a private consultation. Always pissed me off this, private healthcare in this country is often just a way of bypassing the gatekeepers, with the NHS doing the actual work, for free.

Same sort of people most likely pay for the 'fast track' passes at theme parks.

And paying for 'priority boarding' for a standard/economy cabin on an airplane. I've never seen the point in this. Pay extra simply to sit for longer in a cramped cabin? No thanks. 

Edited by Craig

"No, no kids. Trust me. You'll enjoy Oblivion all the more after a 2 hour wait. Now who wants to play I spy. I spy..... With my little eye..... Something beginning with..... Q!" 

• Haha 2