Only in America

The Fish

Just now, Howay said:

Aye, utterly crackers that civilians have access to this type of fire power. He was armed with military grade rounds too they’re saying (.556 and/or .223 the bloke on the news was saying). 

.556 for AR15, two or 3, 30 round mags, Rounds are $7:00 a box of 20.

Despite my nickname on here i have no idea when it comes to military or weapons etc. I sort of get the idea although dont fully understand why people carry weapons except for self defence. But surely no civilian should be able to access these kinds of weapons a small handgun should be enough for self defence purposes. These gushop owners should have responsibility if someone comes in buying semi or automatic weapons & hundreds of rounds of ammo that should set off the alarm bells 

2 hours ago, trooper said:

Despite my nickname on here i have no idea when it comes to military or weapons etc. I sort of get the idea although dont fully understand why people carry weapons except for self defence. But surely no civilian should be able to access these kinds of weapons a small handgun should be enough for self defence purposes. These gushop owners should have responsibility if someone comes in buying semi or automatic weapons & hundreds of rounds of ammo that should set off the alarm bells 

The problem is most of these fucknuggets actually think that the only way to hold governments to account is by the right to bear arms or bare arms or arm bears as dear old Robin Williams once said.

I don't have a problem with calling this bloke a nutter rather than a terrorist but that also applies to the bloke who went for it the gay nightclub in florida  as well but he was categorised as a Muslim terrorist quickly and universally. 

I find the idea of needing to catagorise things unsual in this situation.

Dozens of people have been murdered & hundreds of people are injured, does it matter what you call it? I would focus on prevention as opposed to lexical semantics.

For example people are offended that Trump called it an "act of pure evil" as opposed to terrorism.

Whats more important is that he didn't acknowledge the gun problem at all. 

It's important (arguably more so than the lives lost) because all Muslims are demonised by the actions of a few, whereas when a white man does it, it doesn't reflect remotely badly on the rest of us.

That creates a hostile environment which leads to more hatred and death.

I'm not having that at all tbh. I don't think people who are so spun out that they are going to commit mass murder do it with labelling in mind.

I think it's more important to people who have absolutely nothing to do with the event. Half the time I think it's a RT thing.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

people who are so spun out that they are going to commit mass murder do it with labelling in mind

I agree, this is absolutely not true.

There have been white murders which are clearly terrorism which go unlabelled as that though - Oklahoma/McVeigh and the cunt with the car in charlottesville for two where the right downright refused to call them that. 

I think for everyone saying it's not terrorism there's more people saying it is & even more people who aren't concerned.

Call it what you want but I'd rather see logical action.

I suppose I was asking too much of America.

If Obama can achieve the square root of fuck all they don't have a chance. Trump & the NRA are quite pally too.

45 minutes ago, Tom said:

If Obama can achieve the square root of fuck all they don't have a chance. Trump & the NRA are quite pally too.

They need a much larger tragedy to shake them into action IMO. And even then, doing so may well set off a civil war.

I’m not sure there will ever be a tragedy that would shake the NRA enough to cede ground. They are one of the most active lobbying groups in the United States (I think they’re also one of the largest, the AARP (aka old people) pip them in the membership stakes though), and they won’t give any ground on the issue of gun control as they think any action against firearms (no matter how minor) is the first step towards taking them away completely.  

They are unfortunately too organized, powerful, and active to allow anything to happen. They regularly use their resources to fight even the most minor of things when guns are involved. I genuinely don’t see it ever changing, it’s something that massively puts me off ever moving to a large number of states. 

Edited by Howay

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Quite pally is one way of putting it. To be more exact they donated $30m to Trump’s campaign. It’s a ridiculous amount of money to give and even more ridiculous for Trump to have accepted. The result being that he is in their pocket and has been doing things like overturning an Obama rule restricting gun access to the mentally unwell. 

Aye, that's the lad. 

Apparently a Nevada official just said that no gun laws could have stopped this latest mass shooting. 

I don't know where to start with this idiocy.