The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

Or Rafa has Mitro Sussed ;)

Best striker at the club last season, probably best striker at the club this season too, and popping a winky face doesn't make you look less wrong.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave having to resort to stats in an argument where the answer is "Paul Dummett was the only left back at the club last season. Haidara doesn't count because he's a complete fucking donkey" Come on, Fish, get a grip

Dummett isn't even a leftback.

Stat's are irrefutable though; Mitrovic had a decent season but CT doesn't like him regardless.

I just don't think he's as good as you think he is.

You seem to think that a 20yr old player who scored 9 goals (and got 4 assists) for a shit team in his debut season in the English Premier League isn't good enough to lead the line in the Championship.

Dwight Gayle who's never managed that many goals in any of his 3 seasons in the Top Flight has already scored 3 times in this league. 

Shola Ameobi managed 10 in 18 in the Championship and only managed to equal Mitrovic's tally in the top flight once.

Andy Carroll managed 17 in 39 in the Championship and once managed 11 goals in the Premier League.

I think the disconnect here, if I may, is that you and CT are arguing different things. You're looking at stats and drawing conclusions (primarily) - CT is looking at what he's seen Mitrovic do and assessing based on that. It's kind of understandable that you'd both be able to come to different conclusions.

Mitrovic certainly gave the impression of being a bit profligate in front of goal last year, even if the stats don't back that up. That said, he also seemed to be taking up the right positions and generally making a nuisance of himself (in a positive way) whenever I saw him.

You seem to think that a 20yr old player who scored 9 goals (and got 4 assists) for a shit team in his debut season in the English Premier League isn't good enough to lead the line in the Championship.

Dwight Gayle who's never managed that many goals in any of his 3 seasons in the Top Flight has already scored 3 times in this league.

Shola Ameobi managed 10 in 18 in the Championship and only managed to equal Mitrovic's tally in the top flight once.

Andy Carroll managed 17 in 39 in the Championship and once managed 11 goals in the Premier League.

I do. Very happy to be proved wrong.

I think the disconnect here, if I may, is that you and CT are arguing different things. You're looking at stats and drawing conclusions (primarily) - CT is looking at what he's seen Mitrovic do and assessing based on that. It's kind of understandable that you'd both be able to come to different conclusions.

Mitrovic certainly gave the impression of being a bit profligate in front of goal last year, even if the stats don't back that up. That said, he also seemed to be taking up the right positions and generally making a nuisance of himself (in a positive way) whenever I saw him.

Spot on.

I'm drawing my conclusions from stats and from watching him play though, and simply stating "he is/isn't a good player" shouldn't wash and if Contrary proved that Mitrovic was the most wasteful of our strikers, or spent little time in the box, or whatever I'd accept it more readily than just a one line "Rafa has him sussed" with or without a winky face.

My assessment of his play and of his potential is born out by the stats, CT's is based on gut feeling. And it's a position that is incredibly difficult to disprove, if Mitrovic gets 20 goals this year "well sure, but can he do it in the Premier League?", gets 15 in the Prem "well sure, but can he do it consistently", "well how many of those goals were penalties", how many were tap ins, how many were ...

I'm saying there's a good player and a player who's good enough to lead the line in the Championship, and then I'm backing up that declaration with salient statistics and anecdotal assessment. CT isn't playing by the same rules and it's infuriating :cry:

As you say Mitrovic was taking up the right positions, and making a nuisance of himself, he was also linking up play nicely and holding the ball up. He wasn't the most accurate of finishers in the team, but he wasn't half as bad as CT is intimating. He was of benefit when we needed to release pressure and when we needed to push forward. A season in a league where he can get a way with a bit more should ease him towards a season in the Premier League where he'd need to control it further. He's definitely good enough to lead the line for Newcastle United in the Championship.

:lol:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to set out that you guys aren't going to agree...

I do share your views on MItrovic though, and I think the stats back up what I've seen from him. I'm sure he'll be a force this year.

Mitrovic is obviously the best striker on the books. We look way more cohesive when he plays because he's a nuisance and he gives us a focal point. Agree with CT that his finishing had been wayward so far but at least he's gets himself in positions to make chances. He'll get plenty more chances in this league than in the top flight. Hopefully his finishing will improve because there's a quality player there if it does.

Mitrovic is obviously the best striker on the books. We look way more cohesive when he plays because he's a nuisance and he gives us a focal point. Agree with CT that his finishing had been wayward so far but at least he's gets himself in positions to make chances. He'll get plenty more chances in this league than in the top flight. Hopefully his finishing will improve because there's a quality player there if it does.

Roughly the same shot accuracy as every other striker on the books and wasn't far behind the likes of Costa, Sanchez and Aguero. Is it possible that he appears more profligate because the missed opportunities meant more? 

Roughly the same shot accuracy as every other striker on the books and wasn't far behind the likes of Costa, Sanchez and Aguero. Is it possible that he appears more profligate because the missed opportunities meant more? 

Aye, when you don't make a lot of chances, lose a lot of games then those missed chances do stick in the mind more I suppose.

de Jong set to have a medical with PSV

that Sebastien Haller link isn't going away. Utrecht quoted as saying "If there is a offer at the asking price, there is a chance he will go."

Which is a nothing quote really.. Sorry about that. Just concentrate on the de Jong sentence up there 

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic