The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen anything of him.  Is he more in the Shelvey or #10 mould?

From what I've seen, neither of those, thought he was more like a Vieira/Toure.

Asking a Chelsea fan I know to clear it up. So far he says "Bit of an enigma. Very special player but yet to find a position. Brilliant on the ball tho", "would be good for both parties. He needs regular football", "Way too good at youth level. Hasn't played enough first team football to progress imo."

Aye they've got to loan the kid out tbh, he's never been loaned out before which is crackers when you consider it's Chelsea. As Fish said from what I've seen of him (albeit extremely limited) he always seemed that type of player, good range of passing, calm on the ball, but very raw, he's a big lad as well so should handle people trying to rough him up.

I get that they want him at the PL level but it makes a lot of sense to loan him to a side like us, I know I'm biased but he's never played frequently so it's far from guaranteed he'd get games for a PL side, he'd probably end up at a struggling side which is crap to walk into he'd barely get time to prove himself and if he didn't they'd drop him in favour of anyone else. In contrast with us he'd be managed by Rafa Benitez, in a confident side, he'd get a good run of games and there'd be less pressure on him.

I was saying to someone the other day we should point to Brendan Galloway, he chose West Brom over us because they were in the PL, he has played 3 games and is being managed by Tony Pulis, if he had come to us there is a very good chance he'd have started most games as his main competition for the left back spot would have been Dummett. It's a loan and it's meant to get you experience, there's no point warming the bench at some hovel in Birmingham and having any talent/ability coached out of you by Pulis when you could be getting regular games and coaching from a title winning manager.

Aye they've got to loan the kid out tbh, he's never been loaned out before which is crackers when you consider it's Chelsea. As Fish said from what I've seen of him (albeit extremely limited) he always seemed that type of player, good range of passing, calm on the ball, but very raw, he's a big lad as well so should handle people trying to rough him up.

I get that they want him at the PL level but it makes a lot of sense to loan him to a side like us, I know I'm biased but he's never played frequently so it's far from guaranteed he'd get games for a PL side, he'd probably end up at a struggling side which is crap to walk into he'd barely get time to prove himself and if he didn't they'd drop him in favour of anyone else. In contrast with us he'd be managed by Rafa Benitez, in a confident side, he'd get a good run of games and there'd be less pressure on him.

I was saying to someone the other day we should point to Brendan Galloway, he chose West Brom over us because they were in the PL, he has played 3 games and is being managed by Tony Pulis, if he had come to us there is a very good chance he'd have started most games as his main competition for the left back spot would have been Dummett. It's a loan and it's meant to get you experience, there's no point warming the bench at some hovel in Birmingham and having any talent/ability coached out of you by Pulis when you could be getting regular games and coaching from a title winning manager.

Good points.

Also, if Chelsea want a central midfielder who is used to facing physical sides who're set up to defend, who's used to playing in front of a huge and demanding fanbase, who's used to rotation, one that's been put through 6 months of a physically demanding season against men... where else could he go? :)

Haven't watched this but this is one of those brilliantly edited, delightfully scored youtube videos;

Good points.

Also, if Chelsea want a central midfielder who is used to facing physical sides who're set up to defend, who's used to playing in front of a huge and demanding fanbase, who's used to rotation, one that's been put through 6 months of a physically demanding season against men... where else could he go? :)

Aye the move would suit both sides, hopefully Conte sees all of this and chooses us over the PL dregs. I just don't see the point in loaning a young lad to a Premier League side simply because they're in the Premier League, of course you have lads like Ake who are getting a lot out of their loan but we'd suit Loftus-Cheek's current circumstances more than any of the stragglers imo.

Loftus-Cheek?  He's someone I'd like to have on the squad permanently and see if he progresses. My gut tells me to go after someone more proven, as hard as that would be for a January transfer.

Oh, and btw.  Wishing yee aal hev a Happy New Year.  :thumbup: 

Aye I'd be happy enough with a loan for him as at the very least it would cover the last few games of Shelvey's ban but he's fairly injury prone, we need more than 1 in mind since we're going to be losing Atsu and Diame so any 2 from the ones SEW listed would be canny.

Cleverly would be among the best players in this division if he were to drop down, think people are forgetting how err "good" Shelvey was last season..Ckeverly has also played for Watford for a season when the got promoted on loan from man utd

Shelvey had always shown potential though, he had question marks over consistency and attitude. Cleverly is a once highly rated youngster from Man Utd, there were a dozen of them each season in those days.

I agree - players like Cleverley are ten a penny & like many former Man United players before him he's lived off past hype even if it was somewhat undeserved.

However - I think he'd be fine in this division.

Cleverly on loan isn't a risk at this level, he's frankly ideal. Not sure what people's expectations are for this window but I'd be a bit surprised if we're looking to do better...we may have a champions league standard manager but we still have a barrow boy owner.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic