Newcastle United V Manchester City | Sunday 17 August 2014 | St. James' Park | Kick-off 16:00

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Janmaat was shit today.I know it was his first game but i can only comment on what i saw.Slow to help the attack and painfully slow to get across to stop attacks down our right handside.He looked shitscared to get tight on his man.Maybe he was simply following team orders by tucking in and stopping Man City's one-twos around the box but if Man City had wanted to put centres in,they could have put them in from our right at will.

Did I just dream it or did Pardew mention Ryan Taylor amongst the 'big players' we still have to come back in his post-match interview?

Pardew clearly trolling with that RT stuff...The man has no shame.

Janmaat was shit today.I know it was his first game but i can only comment on what i saw.Slow to help the attack and painfully slow to get across to stop attacks down our right handside.He looked shitscared to get tight on his man.Maybe he was simply following team orders by tucking in and stopping Man City's one-twos around the box but if Man City had wanted to put centres in,they could have put them in from our right at will.

He was no John Kay, Marra.

He's not had a lot of preseason time to be fair, confident he'll settle and get better as he gets more used to his team mates and becomes matchfit

Oh I agree, I'm pretty sure he will come good. Like most of the foreign contingent they will need time to adapt.

One thing I noticed was the energy in the team. Gouff, Rivière, Colback, Anita, Sissoko and even Cabella never stopped bombing on and tracking back. Will only get better as their fitness improves too

Yeh the work ethic was great & I know it's popular to mock the concept but you need it in football.

Cabella was very active going forward but made the most tackles in the game for United & the second most in the game behind Clichy.

The pace was refreshing too - although I think we need more numbers going forward against lesser teams.

i thought we looked quite good int he last 20 minutes. shame we didn't start the game off like that. showed them too much respect in the early stages. when we had a go, city sometimes struggled to contain us. that was encouraging.

Yeh the work ethic was great & I know it's popular to mock the concept but you need it in football.

Cabella was very active going forward but made the most tackles in the game for United & the second most in the game behind Clichy.

The pace was refreshing too - although I think we need more numbers going forward against lesser teams.

Who Cabella was trying to get passed. Good little duel.

I did think they got the rub of the green more than we did, Riviere in particular seemed to get fouled when challenging for the ball quite a lot in the 1st half.

One thing I noticed was the energy in the team. Gouff, Rivière, Colback, Anita, Sissoko and even Cabella never stopped bombing on and tracking back. Will only get better as their fitness improves too

Or you might be getting carried away and it could be start of the season bounce in a lively stadium, we don't always get the same atmosphere against lesser teams. We were flat so many times last season it seems a little too good to be true that we can go into all of our games with that energy. Here's hoping.

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

Or you might be getting carried away and it could be start of the season bounce in a lively stadium, we don't always get the same atmosphere against lesser teams. We were flat so many times last season it seems a little too good to be true that we can go into all of our games with that energy. Here's hoping.

I was reading some pundit (may have been Souness) saying that Citeh need to be up for every team not just the other challenging clubs who it's easy to get up for. That is the same for us but inevitably we won't be with Coco still managing us. There will be games that we are a bit more sluggish in. Hopefully in those games we will have a bit more quality (particularly from the likes of Cabella and SDJ) or be able to utilise the eagerness of youth (Perez and Aarons for example) to push us on.

We definitely didn't get enough support to Riviere early on. This will have been partly due to the usual Pardew negative tactics (although I'm not that certain that we can afford to play any more attacking against a team of Citeh's quality) and partly becuase the player who's going to be able to give him the most support wasn't there.

I think against weaker teams and when SDJ is fit we will see us pushing further up.

On my holidays so watched on a stream on my iphone. The commentary I had was David Pleat. Anyone else hear him going on about how expectant our crowd are and how Rivière and Cabella would not have much time to prove themselves? He based this on Mick Harford's debut :lol: and some sort of crowd reaction (it wasn't really clear what the kerb-crawling shit-bag was on about) to Harford not chasing down a ball that he had no chance of getting. There was some reference to Harford being slow as fuck but again it wasn't clear if Pleat meant this was relevant to this particular ball. The whole tone of Pleat's argument was that this was the reason that the journeyman who played for more than 10 clubs in his career left us after a season. Harford obviously told him this story in 1984 when him and Pleat were at Luton. A story told to him by a mackem in the mid 80s about a vague incident on his debut means that Rivière and Cabella might not get much time to prove themselves. Or something. People were still standing up for Shola last season, yet Mick Harford's debut is all you need to know about Newcastle's fanbase. David Pleat is without doubt one of the biggest cunts in world football.

Anyway, thought we were decent, plenty of positives and unlucky not get a point. If Dummett puts that sitter away, we would have pushed them much harder and could have won it. More than a half chance when all he has to do is hit the target. The city fans want to be making up a decent version of Abba's Fernando, he's going to be a big player for them this season.

On my holidays so watched on a stream on my iphone. The commentary I had was David Pleat. Anyone else hear him going on about how expectant our crowd are and how Rivière and Cabella would not have much time to prove themselves? He based this on Mick Harford's debut :lol: and some sort of crowd reaction (it wasn't really clear what the kerb-crawling shit-bag was on about) to Harford not chasing down a ball that he had no chance of getting. There was some reference to Harford being slow as fuck but again it wasn't clear if Pleat meant this was relevant to this particular ball. The whole tone of Pleat's argument was that this was the reason that the journeyman who played for more than 10 clubs in his career left us after a season. Harford obviously told him this story in 1984 when him and Pleat were at Luton. A story told to him by a mackem in the mid 80s about a vague incident on his debut means that Rivière and Cabella might not get much time to prove themselves. Or something. People were still standing up for Shola last season, yet Mick Harford's debut is all you need to know about Newcastle's fanbase. David Pleat is without doubt one of the biggest cunts in world football.

Can't get a single player's name right either. A couple of years ago when Jonas was in the side (it wasn't his debut either, he'd been around a while by then) we had 'Gutherez', 'Gooterez', 'Gutterez' and every other variation you could think of playing for us. Someone needs to ship the deluded old fuck off to a museum or possibly a landfill.

David Pleat had a few very loud renditions of 'David Pleat, David Pleat, what's it like to pay for sex?' sung to him by our fans in a cup game on national tv a few years ago. Think it probably still rankles a bit with him.

Edited by Howmanheyman