• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry-Venables-001.jpg

"What's that Mike, the King has left the building?"

Terry-Venables-600x450.jpg

"...and you need a new King..."

...next minute on nufc.co.uk

Newcastle United can confirm that the search for a new head coach is over. Former England Manager Terry 'El Tel' Venebles has been appointed to the position, taking control with immediate effect.

68_tel_280x390_555389a.jpg

Venebles, pictured with the budget and brief for his new role.

:lol:

I'm keeping my powder dry till Stevie Accorah gets a message from the other side.

I'd love Paul Clement like. He has a huge amount of experience working on the continent behind the scenes at big clubs, and always seems to know the crack whenever I hear him talk. Always wondered when he would make the step up (I've heard him say several times that he wants to in the future and probably in the Premier League), I think that could potentially be a great appointment for a team in our position.

As someone else said, we have had a 'Head Coach' role for years. The only reason it is being spouted about now is that we haven't advertised that role in the past 4 years, since the 'head coach' structure of a football club has become more common in British football.

At this point I have literally no idea what Ashley is going to do. It could be Clement. It could be Carver. It could be Hoddle. It could be Kinnear. Nothing would surprise me. He hasn't dropped a clanger for a while though...

The one thing that would surprise me is appointing anyone for footballing reasons.

Norwich have won 4 in 15 but that's after 3 in the last 5. Got beaten by league 1 Preston in the cup.

Sounds very well qualified Tbh...

Aye, joking apart, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

There seems to be a few schools of thought for this;

1) Mike Ashley will employ one of the old guard, one of his mates or something. This is born from experience (He’s hardly been adventurous with his appointments; Keegan (it’s romantic or somethign), Kinnear ( a mate), Shearer (again with the romance), Pardew (a mate). Pretty sure he’s over the romance thing now. This way he knows the character of the man, he knows they’ll acquiesce to his demands/restrictions without complaint.

2) Ashley will employ a young upcoming foreign coach. It’s cheap, and the continental managers are more likely to happily slot into a Head Coach role, more than a Brit. So he won’t be butting heads with anyone over potential transfers in or out. Also, we made £4m when someone took Pardew off our hands, we could expect the same kind of payment if Tuchel, Garde or whomever became attractive to a bigger club.

3) He’ll give the gig to Carver. Cheap and internal, knows the players and knows how the club is run, both in the boardroom and in the boot room.

Now I have a problem with all of these options, but think that the 2nd is actually most likely.

1. He’s fast running out of mates, most of the old guard are in jobs and would cost a lot of money to break their contracts. They’re no guarantee of Premier League safety and most of them are British & therefore want to be in control of transfers. Not many would go-along as meekly as Pardew did.

3. (stick with me, this’ll make sense) I can’t imagine even Mike Ashley thinks Carver is the man to take us forward long term. He’s clearly limited and one thing Ashley won’t risk, is Premier League safety.

2. Look at our work in the transfer market. We’ve got a good scout network that looks for under-valued members of staff that will join a mid-table Premier League club with a view to using said club as a stepping stone. This is fine for players because the modern footballer’s career is more mobile than it once was, but manager’s movement was always seen as a hugely disruptive situation. Now look at Newcastle; players aren’t necessarily bought because they’re required, wanted or whatever. They’re bought more often than not because they’re under-valued. So it’s not about a manager building a dynasty, it’s about a coaching team moulding the collected players into a competent unit that can guarantee Premier League survival.

Imagine there’s a young professional who is respected, but hasn’t yet made the step up to a bigger league. Imagine they’re available for little as their contract is nearly up, and they won’t demand the high wages of a home country pro. Imagine your scouts have assured you they’ll capable of performing at a sufficent level to achieve your targets. Now imagine he’s a coach. (name the film, actor & supporting male)

If Carr is finding the players, and Charnley is buying & selling them, wouldn”t it be best to find a coach used to that scenario? Therefore a foreign coach?

The problem? Is Ashley willing to gamble on a total unknown? Foreign players can always be flogged, even if they struggle; “Premier League is too physical”, “never really settled in the area” etc. Managers… it’s harder to shift them on for any kind of profit and if they fail.. well it doesn’t matter if you’ve Owen, Viduka, Martins, Coloccini, Enrique, Jonas, Duff et al, you’ll still go down. You can critque an actor’s portrayal, an orchestra’s performance, but it’s much harder to evaluate the producer, isn’t it? (not impossible, just harder... before pendants corner stirs from it's slumber)

McClaren, Hoddle & Howe are the papers being papers. (Got to name an Englishman, don’t you?) Can’t see any of them wanting the job with the restrictions that exist, can’t see Ashley breaking any of their contracts and the former & latter are in the middle of projects.

I’d be delighted with Tuchel, Clement, Garde, or De Boer. The latter is probably a pipe dream born from an old quote where he called NUFC a sleeping giant, once. The other 3 are capable, passionate, respected coaches. They tick every box for Ashley (imo) and many boxes for a lot of Newcastle fans.

Honestly? I’d expect Carver to have the reins until the summer, then Garde, Tuchel, Clement, or similar to take over. That’s a gamble for Ashley as it’s not certain Carver is capable of dragging us over the safety of 40 points. Nor is it certain that these players are capable of doing it on their own (as they did when we finished 5th).

Aye good summary Fish. Agree that it is probably most likely it'll be a foreign coach as it fits his ideal system. The problem with the old guard idea is you end up with people like Redknapp and there's no way blokes like that would be comfortable with someone like Charnley picking which players come and go. I also don't think there's any chance of Carver being the long term option tbh, he doesn't have it in his locker to be a manager at this level and although I think he'll possibly be head coach until the end of the season I think even that is a risk of relegation.

I think McClaren is probably the most likely of the English managers linked although I'm not sure how comfortable he is in a head coach role (was that the set up at FC Twente?). As with any decision like this under Ashley it's an utter fucking mystery tbh but I do agree the foreign coach option is probably the most viable for what his plan seems to be.

I'd fancy me to get us to 40 points. You'd have to be a proper knacker to get relegated from this position.

That's probably what Carver said to Charnley when he 'threw his hat into the ring'.

I think if we do (hopefully) go for one of the foreign options common sense will prevail and we'll get him in this season to give him time to adjust to the league, especially if they are going to try changing our style of play which could take some time to produce results.

It's better if we stutter a bit now as we are very unlikely to go down than to have a bad start next year and suddenly the pressures on, and we have to make a call on whether a manager new to the league is going to be able to turn it around or not.