catmag

Gigs 2019

Saw Hamilton the other night. Was never going to quite live up to the hype but it's a very enjoyable show (in the conventional definition of the word) considering the potentially dry subject matter and all.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:27 PM, Tooj said:

Going to see Mogwai at Northumbria University in February. :)

Mogwai have a busy start to the year, I'm seeing them here in Sydney in early March.

Also have tickets to see Slowdive, GSY!BE, PWEI, Protomartyr and Cloud Nothings.

Anyone go see 65daysofstatic at the Boiler Room?

Edited by sammynb

Went to Glen Hansards xmas show in the Ulster Hall on Friday, excellent gig, he's a great frontman.

Alarm set to get up to try get tickets in the morning for  Beck & Yeah Yeah Yeahs, double header gig in Dublin

Went to see Kendrick Lamar last night. It’s the first solo rapper I’ve seen live and he carried the entire thing himself. Aside from an occasional single dancer he was on the stage himself the whole time. Apart from a slight dip in the middle it was a pretty awesome performance throughout. His ability to deliver studio quality vocals in an energetic concert was incredible.

I'm not a diehard fan but from my reckoning, at 33 years old, I was the oldest one there. Middle age is racing towards me like a freight train.

I can't get away with Kendrick Lamar or any of that style of hiphop.  It's much like R&B for my tastes.

My tickets for Belle and Sebastian next month at the Sage have just arrived.  And I've got Bjork, Beck and Father John Misty (among others) in London in May to forward to.  Even in my 40's I doubt I'll be the oldest there for any of those fortunately.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Went to see Kendrick Lamar last night. It’s the first solo rapper I’ve seen live and he carried the entire thing himself. Aside from an occasional single dancer he was on the stage himself the whole time. Apart from a slight dip in the middle it was a pretty awesome performance throughout. His ability to deliver studio quality vocals in an energetic concert was incredible.

I'm not a diehard fan but from my reckoning, at 33 years old, I was the oldest one there. Middle age is racing towards me like a freight train.

That's nowt. I'm only vaguely aware of who he is :lol:

Saw Shame on Wednesday night, great live well worth the effort.

Protomartyr next Friday, Cloud Nothings the week after, then in March Mogwai, BRMC, PWEI, The Aints (Ed Kuepper doing his Saints material) and some other stuff.

I’ve got a death from above and at the drive in double header coming up soon, can’t even remember when it is. Probably means I’m too old and it’s going to be too loud 

On 08/02/2018 at 20:24, sammynb said:

Saw Shame on Wednesday night, great live well worth the effort.

Protomartyr next Friday, Cloud Nothings the week after, then in March Mogwai, BRMC, PWEI, The Aints (Ed Kuepper doing his Saints material) and some other stuff.

I'm off to see Shame in April, glad to see they're decent live. What size venue was it? I'm seeing them at the Cluny, so not a massive space.

Saying that Mogwai were tremendous at Northumberia University, one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

1 hour ago, Tooj said:

I'm off to see Shame in April, glad to see they're decent live. What size venue was it? I'm seeing them at the Cluny, so not a massive space.

Saying that Mogwai were tremendous at Northumberia University, one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Jonny, the venue was small, a couple of hundred people and the singer spent as much time in the audience as he did on stage.

Good to hear Mogwai are on form.

I see Ty Segall is playing the Boiler Shop in Newcastle in June, he's great live and worth the effort.

4 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

20 odd quid for Ty Segall though which can, in all truth, shove itself up its arse.

FFS, 20 quid is nothing, Shame cost the equivalant of that to see them here. It costs a lot for small artist to tour internationally.

These poor fuckers deserve to make enough to survive, it's not like they're Radiohead or worse, Coldplay and making millions.

I'd hazard a guess Ty Segall barely makes the average wage.

28 minutes ago, Alex said:

Any relation to Steven?

Only when Erika whatsherface jumps out of a cake.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sammynb said:

FFS, 20 quid is nothing, Shame cost the equivalant of that to see them here. It costs a lot for small artist to tour internationally.

These poor fuckers deserve to make enough to survive, it's not like they're Radiohead or worse, Coldplay and making millions.

I'd hazard a guess Ty Segall barely makes the average wage.

Only when Erika whatsherface jumps out of a cake.

:lol: you pay it for me, then. Shithouse.

• Haha 1

Obviously it's gigs 2018....

After having only seen Mogwai (who were excellent) so far this year, I'm off to The Cumberland tomorrow for ex Loft & Weather Prophets C86 demi god Pete Astor. In April, I'm taking a trip to Leeds on Saturday 14th for Mekons 77 at The Brudenell. May will see Yo La Tengo, also in Leeds at Church on Thursday 3rd, then Swervedriver at the hideous Academy on 15th. Back there June 8th for The Wedding Present. Last one on the horizon is The Band of Holy Joy at Tynemouth CIU club on Saturday 7th July. 

Aye, because I don't want to start a thread on it, and there's no plays/musicals 2018 thread, I'll put it here.

Went to see Sting's "Last Ship" musical this afternoon (matinee). It was seriously superb. Last show at the northern stage is 7th April. Honestly, if you're remotely open minded, give it a go.

The musical was a flop on release on Broadway. Hardly surprising considering the Geordie vernacular throughout though. But, the music was good (coming from someone who's not a fan of Sting), acting and performance good, and the visuals amazing. Also a poignant story and reminder from recent history (1960s to 80s wallsend). 

This is good to read. My mother bought me and the mrs tickets for it, and I was anticipating a long night.

He also commissioned an impressive picture of the area which was up at the Laing a while ago. huge arial image of the Tyne from Walker to wide open pretty much, with little family anecdotes here and there...I think.

i haven’t done it justice, to be fair.