McClaren, Laudrup, Carvs, The tea lady?

Howay

I'll still be very happy if we get McClaren. Think he'll do well with the coaching and getting the best out of the players.

Meh.

Based on what?

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think McClaren is comfortably the most likely appointment now. I'm not totally against him but when you see who the likes of West Ham, Watford, Derby and even the tramps are talking about, he's a pretty underwhelming prospect. He's certainly not going to excite anyone or entice those who have cancelled their tickets to go back.

He's probably as much a gamble as Gourvennec or whomever, but there's a definite "meh"ness to his appointment.

I'll still be very happy if we get McClaren. Think he'll do well with the coaching and getting the best out of the players.

and by doing well with the coaching, you mean working with the addams family?

John-Carver-1.jpg

Aye, proper exciting :lol:

Meh.

Based on what?

Respected by Sir Alex, ( not toontastics) won a few cups, played some exciting European cup stuff with Boro, has bags of experience.

Rather him than some unknown starting out with nil experience and little money.

Respected by Sir Alex, ( not toontastics) won a few cups, played some exciting European cup stuff with Boro, has bags of experience.

Rather him than some unknown starting out with nil experience and little money.

Unknowns starting out: Houghton, Keegan

Bags of experience: JFK, Pardew,

Tbf, neither means much when strings pulled from above.

I guarantee McClaren getting appointed with the same backroom staff we have now and coach set up, isnt going to get the fans rushing to buy tickets. (hence why the club didnt distance itself from other more interesting manager links or talks of 6 signings, plus MA making a scripted Sky appearance).

Gotta love Twitter :lol:

2cefd90593ee0cb3a7a9191273534cc7.jpg

:lol:

taylor_1466922a.jpg

"Hi, is that Pukka Pies sales team? Hi it's Ryan Taylor. Lee Charnley has asked John Carver to ask me to tell you, while I'm on the phone, like, that they'll only be wanting 10,000 mince beef pies for the next home game. What? Well apparently they only sold 11,988 out of the 12,000 you sent last time so they don't want to get their fingers burnt next time. Cheers."

and by doing well with the coaching, you mean working with the addams family?

John-Carver-1.jpg

One of them is one of the greatest footballers to play for us (and when not blowing smoke up the hierarchy) has been quietly learning about coaching. If nothing else has a great football brain. And surely (which means im probably wrong), its not that hard to follow a managers laid out plans and take players through their routines in the 2 and half hours they actually turn up for?

Manager picks style of play and tells coaches to work on it and address any individual players requirements that are issues. "Take Riviere into the sticks, find a barn door and dont bring him back til he can hit it 8 times out of 10".

Even I could probably coach.

I guarantee McClaren getting appointed with the same backroom staff we have now and coach set up, isnt going to get the fans rushing to buy tickets. (hence why the club didnt distance itself from other more interesting manager links or talks of 6 signings, plus MA making a scripted Sky appearance).

Personally I think you'd do a good job. Getting a small business in to a £5.5m a year turnover show is something 99.9% of people can only drop their jaws at. You'd be better than Carver anyway.

To be honest, I like McClaren but if you're manager of Derby and someone immeasurably bigger with great potentially ask you to come on board for 5 years, and you say no, well there'll be a bad taste as soon as he gets it. Vieira one of the greatest players this countries ever known, in terms of completely dominating play consistently in terms of presence and so many faultless aspects to his game, I'd love it if he took over.

Thats why I said nil experience and money. Keegan had money to build the Entertainers.

Does Mcclaren usually have any staff he takes from club to club?

Personally I think you'd do a good job. Getting a small business in to a £5.5m a year turnover show is something 99.9% of people can only drop their jaws at. You'd be better than Carver anyway.

To be honest, I like McClaren but if you're manager of Derby and someone immeasurably bigger with great potentially ask you to come on board for 5 years, and you say no, well there'll be a bad taste as soon as he gets it. Vieira one of the greatest players this countries ever known, in terms of completely dominating play consistently in terms of presence and so many faultless aspects to his game, I'd love it if he took over.

He would have been a bit of a shit had he walked out on Derby in January though.

He's probably as much a gamble as Gourvennec or whomever, but there's a definite "meh"ness to his appointment.

Did you mean not as much a gamble? Sports all about gambling in one way or another. SJH took a gamble with Keegan and it paid off almost in the biggest way possible.

As you say, McClaren is just meh. I don't dislike him the way I did with Pardew and I don't think he's a dinosaur the way everyone did with JFK. But this club needs a lift and Ashley was talking like he wanted to give it a lift. But appointing McClaren just shows me that he still just wants to do exactly what we've been doing for years and all talk of winning something is just bollocks. This will excite no one except perhaps CT, although I suspect he's just back to his wumming best there!

Thats why I said nil experience and money. Keegan had money to build the Entertainers.

Does Mcclaren usually have any staff he takes from club to club?

Steve Round seems to be his choice of #2.

Did you mean not as much a gamble? Sports all about gambling in one way or another. SJH took a gamble with Keegan and it paid off almost in the biggest way possible.

As you say, McClaren is just meh. I don't dislike him the way I did with Pardew and I don't think he's a dinosaur the way everyone did with JFK. But this club needs a lift and Ashley was talking like he wanted to give it a lift. But appointing McClaren just shows me that he still just wants to do exactly what we've been doing for years and all talk of winning something is just bollocks. This will excite no one except perhaps CT, although I suspect he's just back to his wumming best there!

Not at all, just need to glance through our recent history to see that not all exciting appointments are really that sexy.

The wankfest on Twitter over Viera was rediculous.

No I meant as much a gamble, in that McClaren's record since Boro has been mixed, at best, but the others on the list have performed well, all be it in a different league.

I dunno, I can't get excited about McClaren, but if this means we sign Will Hughes, that'll be nice I suppose.

dunno1.gif

No I meant as much a gamble, in that McClaren's record since Boro has been mixed, at best, but the others on the list have performed well, all be it in a different league.

I dunno, I can't get excited about McClaren, but if this means we sign Will Hughes, that'll be nice I suppose.

dunno1.gif

Not sure Hughes is much to get excited about. Whenever I've seen Derby he's been in and out of the team and nothing that special when he's played.

Not sure Hughes is much to get excited about. Whenever I've seen Derby he's been in and out of the team and nothing that special when he's played.

Think there's a decent player in there, would fit the bill of low-rent Cabaye.

Too often he was asked to play a more combative role.

That said, if McClaren comes, he's likely to ask him to do that again, so probably best for his development if he goes elsewhere.

Fuck this pessimism stuff is denpressing.

Not at all, just need to glance through our recent history to see that not all exciting appointments are really that sexy.

The wankfest on Twitter over Viera was rediculous.

Tbf I agree with what you say there. On the other hand, McClaren has succeeded in nothing since he went to Germany. I've nothing against a stable manager but he's not actually had a great deal of success anywhere. And we need something to believe in after years of shite and for most people Schteve isn't it.

Think there's a decent player in there, would fit the bill of low-rent Cabaye.

Too often he was asked to play a more combative role.

That said, if McClaren comes, he's likely to ask him to do that again, so probably best for his development if he goes elsewhere.

Fuck this pessimism stuff is denpressing.

He's young and English. He'd probably cost more than it would to being Cabaye back!