Georginio Wijnaldum

Happy Face

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a class above everyone on the pitch most weeks (including when we play top sides), there was a piece of play when he picked up the ball in the centre circle under heavy pressure and he just switched feet and calmly took it round the bloke who was climbing all over him and turned it into an attacking move he's just quality.

I think he'll enjoy having Shelvey behind him as it will allow him to stay further forward and not have to worry about getting the ball, if Townsend comes in then I think it'll be the end of him being wasted out wide as well (even though I'm confident McClaren has figured that out now).

Brilliant player, he was class again today. I really hope having Shelvey in there now will benefit him - our game plan needs to revolve around getting him the ball as much as possible, and as quickly as possible, in the opposition half because he doesn't give it away and he's got more than enough quality to make and score goals in this league.

I'm reluctant to be too harsh on Mclaren for putting him on the left a fair bit initially - it's got to be hard figuring out the best way to use such a lop-sided sqaud while also figuring which players you can trust in matches, and one thing we always forget as supporters is that we don't get to see who the best trainers are. Plus I think most managers these days may have done the same - the perceived wisdom seems to be that these types of players are too lightweight or get passed by in the middle - look at the likes of Silva and Hazard, genuine world class players who aren't really wide players but have still spent a fair bit of their time in wide positions from what I've seen. I also think the performances, bar a few blips against Palace Leicester and Bournemouth, have probably been better than any we've seen during the last ten years, and I'd say a lot of the credit for that has to go to Mclaren. We've mostly looked like a well coached side in my opinion, which was hardly ever the case under Pards, and never the case under Allardyce and Souness. With a bit more luck and some better finishing we'd be mid table and looking up I think.

Anyway, having said all that, like everyone else I'm happy Wijnaldum has been moved more central cos he's proving to be infinitely more effective there and he's showing what a real class act he is.

Aye it was madness seeing him shifted out left offering nothing, earlier in the season, especially when he's probably one of the most naturally gifted players I've seen here in a while.

It wasn't at all, at that point he had underwhelmed when playing in the middle and he seemed to pick up the pace a bit more playing out there. Seems to be getting a lot more involved with things now but it wasn't like he had this form prior to playing out on the left. Especially as at the time it was to get the popular Ayoze in there.

It wasn't at all, at that point he had underwhelmed when playing in the middle and he seemed to pick up the pace a bit more playing out there. Seems to be getting a lot more involved with things now but it wasn't like he had this form prior to playing out on the left. Especially as at the time it was to get the popular Ayoze in there.

Maybe not at the start on the left but as games went on it was blatantly obvious it was hindering our play thoroughout each and every game and we had no threat down the left. Thankfully McLaren has seemed to have realised that and will keep him in the middle!

Aye good point well made Tooj.

As I said on twitter coming away from SJP, he is without doubt THE best player we've had since Shearer. Anyone that denies it is a cunt. He is the first world class midfielder we've had in a few decades, and I'm not going over the top.

As I said on twitter coming away from SJP, he is without doubt THE best player we've had since Shearer. Anyone that denies it is a cunt. He is the first world class midfielder we've had in a few decades, and I'm not going over the top.

He reminds me a bit of Yaya Youre at times the way he seems to slow the game around him and controls the game. He doesn't look too quick when watching him but he always seems to speed past players and holds them off at ease. Definitely a special player.

He reminds me a bit of Yaya Youre at times the way he seems to slow the game around him and controls the game. He doesn't look too quick when watching him but he always seems to speed past players and holds them off at ease. Definitely a special player.

Not enough praise. You're a cunt!

;)

• 1 month later...

Yeah not a bad shout I guess. I meant more that the gulf in quality between the two is so large that there was no way Colo was gonna win it, but if you want to actually be technical about it, I can see your point ;)

• 1 month later...

Can't believe we spent £14.5m on this guy.

We could have bought a couple of half-decent defenders for that money, instead we got him and his constant non-performances. He captained a league-winning side last season and he has some talent about him, but his mentality is just not there when we needed him the most.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Got an assist against the mackems but aye, a waste of space really. I reckon he must make runs that no one on our team is able to see or something, I just don't get how he can be involved so little.

Hmmm

It's a shame he has really dropped off, he never did anything away from home but he was really good at home but aye since about November or so he hasn't even done much at home. I don't know what it is with him, whether it's a mentality thing (as it seems to be with Sissoko), or whether he's simply not up to the physicality of the league and needs a break (not convinced it's that though), but he has been poor.

Can't believe we spent £14.5m on this guy.

We could have bought a couple of half-decent defenders for that money, instead we got him and his constant non-performances. He captained a league-winning side last season and he has some talent about him, but his mentality is just not there when we needed him the most.

Hides behind players, never one looked like he wanted the ball today

He scored 4 past the bastards in October, surely that should give you confidence