Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I know what you mean, she writes like a local journo rather than a national one. Having said that, the 13th prediction is apparently the consensus across the Guardian staff as a whole.

The only problem being obviously that the Gurardiana know next to nothing about football.

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Well what do you mean by him recovering? He's still viewed as a cunt by the vast majority.

Well it peaked at that Spurs boycott game and he recovered somewhat after that by spending a bit. People came back and stopped protesting against him. He wouldn't recover from Benitez walking it'd be sustained hell on imo

Ashley will walk away from the club when he's ready.

At the minute he's not doing anything wrong that suggests he needs to walk.

Like him or detest him, he's a businessman just like all the rest of the business owners. And yes, I mean football clubs as businesses.

Top football elites sold out to the devil long ago. It's just a question of tapping in digits for podium standings.

47 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

That Taylor article is a total parcel of shite. Reading that, the only thing you know is that Newcastle United is a club that exists

and building an article around Ashley seems dangerous when she's proven she hasn't got a fucking clue what goes on up here

:lol: how come? she has raised all the points we bang on about on here. in fact she could have lifted half of it from our discussions.

which is possibly why it could be viewed as a parcel of shite, i suppose ^_^

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

:lol: how come? she has raised all the points we bang on about on here. in fact she could have lifted half of it from our discussions.

which is possibly why it could be viewed as a parcel of shite, i suppose ^_^

Aye, it's a load of hypotheticals based on absolutely nowt but pre standing biases which is all this forum has been during the transfer window

This from Martin Hardy the author of Rafa's Way

"Benitez wanted two new players in January and was told no. He wanted four at the start of the current window, and got none. That's half a team. He believed Newcastle had the potential to be a top-five side, but that momentum has gone.

He thought he had more to spend and more control over transfers. It has not happened. This is not what he thought was happening when he left his meeting with Ashley at Shirebrook a matter of days after leading Newcastle United to the Championship title"

Benitez is being asked to work a miracle with a young reinforced Championship team. It does not feel like a team that has been significantly added to. There are players still there who failed in the Premier League the last time the club was there.

Newcastle United is a football club that marches with a more assured step when it has a real leader at the helm (Keegan, Robson and now Benitez).

Without him it is difficult to see anything other than more chaos"

Edited by trooper

Aye that whole Martin Hardy article on Sky Sports (which is actually generally positive) is a good read.  If he does have less to spend than he thought that is a concern.  I was hoping it was more that he's finding the money we do have won't go as far as he initially though.  But if we have less then he's basically been lied to and that certainly won't play with him.  He might hang around this season for the players and fans but there'll be no long term project if he can't trust Ashley.

31 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If there's anyone likely to have any inside knowledge on what is happening with Rafa then it's Hardy.

Aye i agree Hardy's spent a hell of a lot of time with Rafa i dont see any reason to think he'd be making things up.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Think most people would settle for that like. Dreading another relegation battle and another manager walking out over broken promises if I'm being honest.

the way this window is going does feel very keegan 2008 vintage. 

The full transcript in the Chronicle is a bit better.  He's clearly saying that he's going to stay but he's not happy with how things have gone in the transfer window.  It's still not clear whether he has been (or thinks he has been) lied to in terms of budget, or whether he's just not happy we didn't move fast enough at the beginning of the window and frustrated we don't have the money to do what he'd like.

Good news he's staying for now but there's still serious doubts about his long term future (I suppose there always will be).  I think we will definitely see how good a manager he is this season because he's certainly not going to have star players to drag us through.  It's all going to be about tactics and how well he can drill the players he has. 

Ashley is a momumental tit like. The market for players constantly inflates, making his policy of playing the long game and paying all fees up front backwards. Paying in installments and getting what we need in now means cheaper players and less risk of relegation. Don't understand it tbh

Yeah I'd say that's more or less the position I thought we were in. Nothing to worry about in the short term but further than that we'll just have to see how it goes.

There's still time to get deals done before the window shuts and I'm certainly hoping we'll see 1 or 2 new faces before September. That might rely on shifting some of the players who clearly aren't part of Benitez's plans. I'm just worried Charnley and Barnes will gamble on making their money back or better on players like Lazaar, Hanley etc.

5 minutes ago, Park Life said:

Coalblack is going to be left out of the 25.

Hopefully this will make his representatives sort a move for him. If nothing else it'll get his wages off our books.