Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

7 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

How long before Ashley gets sick of Rafa twisting to the press week in week out and it all goes tits up?

Id guess no later than September 2nd...

7 hours ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

I think it's more Journos assuming he's fed up to get clicks on their stories. Nothing really concrete has came out to say he's fed up. The feeling I get from what I've read is they he's frustrated at the players, agents and the window as this pre season has went daft for fees.

Hmmm.....headline over the top like, sounds like the sub who wrote it isn't very well aquatinted with Ashley"s work...

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/rafa-benitez-makes-a-startling-admission-about-newcastle-s-transfer-progress-1-8689342

Press might be making a few things up as usual but this situation is all too familiar now. As things stand we're going into the season with a championship squad and asking for trouble. No way Rafa is pleased with that and while I'd love to believe the silly market is to blame for it, with Ashley's history I'd only be kidding myself.

Rafa Benitez – 6 August 2017:

“When I decided to stay I was expecting another thing… Now we are where we are.

“I decided to stay because of a lot of positive things I could see, starting with the fans.

“Now I will try to do my best to be sure that the team we have will be good enough to compete and stay as high as we can in the Premier League.

“We are trying to move players out to bring players in – we know what we need.

“We are looking at different options and if we can’t get one, we have to look at others.

“We know what we need and will try to do this until the end of the transfer window….

“We are trying to go in different directions at the same time."

First sentence says a lot obviously they've renegade on what they told him IF he decides to walk nobody could blame him he has to trty to get a championship side survive in the premiership. He's also scraping round in the bargain basement regarding players. Were he should have been able to bring in a bit of premiership quality. Strap yourselves in we could be in for a rough season.

Edited by trooper

Still don't see why so many people think we're going to struggle even with the current squad. We're not going to be challenging at the top end of the table but ffs, we're good enough to end up around 15th or so, certainly with Rafa at the helm.

He doesn't seem to be indicating he's leaving here either. Really not sure what to take from that statement. Actually sounds like he's planning to handle the season ahead with what he's got, which sounds like encouraging to me. You sure he isn't just managing expectations here?

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Still don't see why so many people think we're going to struggle even with the current squad. We're not going to be challenging at the top end of the table but ffs, we're good enough to end up around 15th or so, certainly with Rafa at the helm.

He doesn't seem to be indicating he's leaving here either. Really not sure what to take from that statement. Actually sounds like he's planning to handle the season ahead with what he's got, which sounds like encouraging to me. You sure he isn't just managing expectations here?

Dovetails with his quotes asking for the crowd to get behind the team.

I can't believe anyone would think Rafa is happy with the situation currently but I'm not sure whether it's because he's been mislead by Ashley or he's just frustrated that the market has been so difficult to work in at the moment.  There's no way he's content to go into the season with just two strikers or with same number 10 options that he had last season and couldn't make really work.

That said, I think there will be a lot of movement in the next month and some of the fees will level out a bit when people realise that not everyone is going to go for a ridiculous fee.

Edited by David Kelly

The other problem  Rafa's got is to not only generate spaces but to try & make money offloading some of the dross he's inherited any idea what our net spend has been this window up to now is it just over £20 million ? 

Edited by trooper

The Guardian predicts we'll come 13th, which sounds slightly optimistic to me, but not too far off.

Granted, it's reliant on Rafa hanging about, but I'm not convinced that he's on the cusp of leaving at this point so I think we can afford to be cautiously optimistic. Unless we lose all our games before the transfer window closes.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/08/premier-league-2017-18-preview-newcastle-united

Edited by Rayvin

19 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I don't like the sound of Ashley's newest arsehole in that piece.

Agreed, but we don't know much about him really so it's too early to say if he's a problem. Clutching at straws, I know.

32 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The Guardian predicts we'll come 13th, which sounds slightly optimistic to me, but not too far off.

Granted, it's reliant on Rafa hanging about, but I'm not convinced that he's on the cusp of leaving at this point so I think we can afford to be cautiously optimistic. Unless we lose all our games before the transfer window closes.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/08/premier-league-2017-18-preview-newcastle-united

that's actually a decent assessment, and for once, a half decent read from taylor

36 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Not optimistic at all unless we sign 2/3 first team ready players. Maybe some early batterings will loosen the purse strings. :(

That Taylor article is a total parcel of shite. Reading that, the only thing you know is that Newcastle United is a club that exists

and building an article around Ashley seems dangerous when she's proven she hasn't got a fucking clue what goes on up here

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

We can't expect anything other than to simply hold our own this season.

Avoiding relegation is obviously the primary reality .

Remember, we went down with a bunch of dross and mercenaries and had to clear the decks.

Rafa built a squad up to do what was required to get us back into the top league.

Mission accomplished.

Next mission is to keep us there and build as we go, which we are doing, albeit not in the way we'd all dream and hope for.

We all hope for top quality signings. We all hope for top 10 or better finishes.

We might get our hopes realised but we must not let that hope become expectation or the manager and players are going to have one hell of a hard time of it adjusting.

Edited by wolfy

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Refuse to read anything that bint writes tbh

I know what you mean, she writes like a local journo rather than a national one. Having said that, the 13th prediction is apparently the consensus across the Guardian staff as a whole.

Think most people would settle for that like. Dreading another relegation battle and another manager walking out over broken promises if I'm being honest.