Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

Take some refugees 

I agree that we should and I’m sure we will

She was talking about no fly zones… is that to allow people to escape? I maybe wrongly assumed that it was to shoot down any Russian air attacks

The Russian Defence Minister has accused Ukraine of using residential infrastructure as shields to protect their military assets.

This means Russia will be indiscriminate in their attacks from now on. Ukraine's two major cities will be hell on earth. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

There is no good outcome outside of toppling Putin somehow

It’s hard to see where he goes from here. If he fails in Ukraine he is humiliated. If he succeeds then his country continues to face financial ruin.

To go into Ukraine in the first place was a bizarre decision. It’s lose/lose for him.

• Like 5

If that link Tom posted the other day is accurate then they've been quite clear on motivations. They're restoring the Russian empire. Ukraine as a separate entity was an unforgivable sin, and Putin has taken it upon himself to resolve the issue on behalf of future generations of Russians.

Just now, Tom said:

Why do the Russians have a Z On their vehicles? 

Are they trying to look as evil as possible?

to avoid friendly fire - it's a marker so they can indentify their own vehicles on the battlefield 

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If that link Tom posted the other day is accurate then they've been quite clear on motivations. They're restoring the Russian empire. Ukraine as a separate entity was an unforgivable sin, and Putin has taken it upon himself to resolve the issue on behalf of future generations of Russians.

If they're targeting the non-NATO nations then Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan & Belarus must be pretty fucking nervous as well.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

If they're targeting the non-NATO nations then Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan & Belarus must be pretty fucking nervous as well.

finland!

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

finland!

Well, yes. I was focusing on the former Soviet states. Sweden as well are a risk if Finland are. 

I of course neglected to mention the nation of this fine fella ....

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Surely they won’t have the stomach for more war after this? 

For a start an army runs on morale & those 2nd phase Russian troops are going to be seeing a lot of destroyed Russian vehicles & Russian corpses, for a war they were suppose to piss. They’ve been lied to. 

Secondly surely the county will be a skint sooner rather than later owing to the sanctions introduced, which will only get worse. 

Thirdly they’re trying to occupy Ukraine with a force of less than 200,000 troops. Some of those cities are absolutely huge and perfect for guerrilla warfare. They’ve no chance of taking control.

• Like 1

Aim was roll in and install a puppet government, that'd only work if the army/police and machinery of state would roll over for any puppet government.

Not going to happen. Could be Putin's Viet Nam, win the staged battles but lose the war.

He's got the firepower to take the cities (but it'll be messy and tragic) but no way has he the numbers to subjugate or hold anything like the whole country.

It's really hard to say. You could argue everything you've just said there quite comfortably but equally take the view that Russia would become much more effective if they started invading States like a super power rather than a this fairly minimal effort.

If they start levelling cities then they might just grab as much as they can as quickly as they can. 

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's really hard to say. You could argue everything you've just said there quite comfortably but equally take the view that Russia would become much more effective if they started invading States like a super power rather than a this fairly minimal effort.

If they start levelling cities then they might just grab as much as they can as quickly as they can. 

You can grab what you like, but holding and pacifying it is another matter.

Also his logistics for the army/troops are an utter shambles:

Check the expiry date on these captured rations:

1 minute ago, Tom said:

This thread on the logistics is eye opening, they’re using civilian radio ffs!

i just read that. hard to know what to believe because that is actually unbelievable 

Given they’re lack of performance & direction it’s very believable! Especially looking at rations that are 7 years out of date….

I read that the troops are using their mobiles to communicate- Ukraine blocked all Russian signals so they’re taking civilian phones, which Ukraine have set up a system to report and block stolen phones for. 

So look, then we get back to why they've been so useless. I can't believe this is the true weight of Russian military capability, it simply isn't possible.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

So look, then we get back to why they've been so useless. I can't believe this is the true weight of Russian military capability, it simply isn't possible.

Rope-a-dope? 

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

My mate Aaron is an expert on all things russia so if he deems this to be true I trust him. 

We’ve still got nukes to worry about like. 🙃