Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

He has a point in a sense re: western involvement (through economists advising those, namely Yeltsin and Gaidar) in the transformation of the Russian economy. Or the post Cold War ‘humiliation’ by the west as he puts it. Those in charge could’ve stopped it at any time though. Especially after it was obvious it was a disaster for virtually everybody. Yeltsin even went against his own parliament. Apart from creating the environment for the oligarchs to basically buy up every industry going. For a fraction of its worth. It also meant that almost all the political power was put in the hands of the president. The oligarchs then chose Putin to be the next president. Almost all of those crimes against the Russia people were committed by Russian corruption. Bush Snr and Clinton fully supported Yeltsin throughout though. And look where we are now 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

My politics knowledge especially on this subject is very small.  But as soon as a country has joined Nato along their border hasn't the US put rocket sites / radar stations along it?

I don’t think any of the former Soviet /Iron Curtain states in NATO have nukes 

Just now, wykikitoon said:

I am thinking about Poland.  Didn't they join in the late 90s?

They’ve joined NATO but (I might be wrong here) but I think the only time they’ve hosted nukes was when they had soviet ones pointed at the west 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

They’ve joined NATO but (I might be wrong here) but I think the only time they’ve hosted nukes was when they had soviet ones pointed at the west 

Fair play then :lol: 

It's crazy shit like. Another reason I don't watch the news anymore.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I think you're right. There were American nukes based in Belgium and West Germany I think, and here I think in places like Greenham Common. And of course ironically Ukraine has russian nuclear weapons which they handed back. Which was a mistake in hindsight. It's rare that I think there has ever been a war as clear cut as there is here as to who the actual agressor is. Putin's "victim blaming" Ukraine - she was asking for it - is utterly laughable, I'm amazed anyone could fall for it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I think you're right. There were American nukes based in Belgium and West Germany I think, and here I think in places like Greenham Common. And of course ironically Ukraine has russian nuclear weapons which they handed back. Which was a mistake in hindsight. It's rare that I think there has ever been a war as clear cut as there is here as to who the actual agressor is. Putin's "victim blaming" Ukraine - she was asking for it - is utterly laughable, I'm amazed anyone could fall for it. 

Just to really take the piss he reckons the west caused the war to mask domestic problems caused by widespread corruption 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

My politics knowledge especially on this subject is very small.  But as soon as a country has joined Nato along their border hasn't the US put rocket sites / radar stations along it?

No they don't btw

5 hours ago, Renton said:

Ukraine had more nukes than us and France combined,, they were all decommissioned under a treaty guaranteeing their borders, that worked well 🙄

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

There’s a fucking grim clip on Reddit at the moment of some poor fucker in a Russian trench getting hit by a drone dropping a grenade on him. 
He then turns his rifle round and kills himself. 

Once these clips start getting seen in Russia, which they will soon enough, I reckon his own people will see to Putin. 

• Sad 3