Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Diego may well correct me here but I think Emerys stock at Villareal has fallen a bit since we were after him.

When we tried to recruit him a year ago they were in the Champions League having won the Europa League in 20/21(7th in the league), then finished 7th again so managed a europa conference spot for this season and now they're...7th.

They arent going anywhere.

Totally this and the cojones. The way our approach went down can't have won him any favours at Villareal, so with their lack of progression he probably feels the writing is on the wall. Coming into Villa on the back of Gerrard at this stage of the season is a cakewalk compared to coming in later to a winless club that almost everyone had nailed on as relegation certainties. The great thing is with the benefit of hindsight we can say with absolute certainty that getting Howe worked out to be the best thing to happen to the club in recent times (apart from the takeover that facilitated it). You would have to think that Villa should finish comfortably in mid table with the players they have and a half decent manager, far from a good return on their recent financial investment.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah I look forward to him being a great big disappointment. 

And his first game will be on Saturday at SJP B)

Wor Flags doing an absolute focus on Eddie Howe, if you please.

• Jaysus... 1

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Just take the loss and move on. :lol: 

What loss? :lol:Whether he's stood on the touchline, in the stands or watching it on 14" portable TV, he'll still be seeing whatever display we put on in the stands :smile:

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's not his first game though! He doesn't take over until the 1st November. End of discussion.

Fuck me, talk about sifting gnat shit out of pepper! :lol:

Had I said 'first game in charge' your point would be valid. My point remains :finger:

13 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

oh dear, the bin dippers over on rawk are off on one again....

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=282654.20240

newcastle supporter posts on there with a reasonably eloquent defence of howe's ability and they've lost it, dim glas second last post in particular, the heroin addled, thieving scouse prick.

Screenshot_20221024-200021_Samsung Internet.jpg

tbh there'll be very few examples of supporter forums where we're being spoken of in a fair and decent light. Envy is real.

2 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I'll have my attention on the game too, so I'd like to congratulate me on being the new Aston Villa manager.

:woosh:

On 10/24/2022 at 9:48 PM, Andrew said:

Diego may well correct me here but I think Emerys stock at Villareal has fallen a bit since we were after him.

When we tried to recruit him a year ago they were in the Champions League having won the Europa League in 20/21(7th in the league), then finished 7th again so managed a europa conference spot for this season and now they're...7th.

They arent going anywhere.

You're right. In fact, Emery saved a great second part of the season and the semifinals of the European Cup.

I remember that, when he was about to sign for us, I commented that it would have been the best moment for Emery and that it would also have been good for Villarreal (they took away his large salary and we paid the clause), because I think I remember that then in the League Villarreal was approximately in 13th position and that at most it could fight at the end of the year to finish in the Conference League position (that's how it was). And in the European Cup, honestly, the logical and normal thing was that they were eliminated in groups, or at most in the round of 16, but in the end they managed to do a great job and finish in the semifinals.

As I read back in the Mirror, Emery disliked two things about the Newcastle contract:

1.- that there was a clause by which he could be fired if we went down to Championship.
2.- that he knew that Eddie Howe was the other candidate and Emery thought he was much better and with more cache than Howe and did not understand Newcastle's doubts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

You're right. In fact, Emery saved a great second part of the season and the semifinals of the European Cup.

I remember that, when he was about to sign for us, I commented that it would have been the best moment for Emery and that it would also have been good for Villarreal (they took away his large salary and we paid the clause), because I think I remember that then in the League Villarreal was approximately in 13th position and that at most it could fight at the end of the year to finish in the Conference League position (that's how it was). And in the European Cup, honestly, the logical and normal thing was that they were eliminated in groups, or at most in the round of 16, but in the end they managed to do a great job and finish in the semifinals.

As I read back in the Mirror, Emery disliked two things about the Newcastle contract:

1.- that there was a clause by which he could be fired if we went down to Championship.
2.- that he knew that Eddie Howe was the other candidate and Emery thought he was much better and with more cache than Howe and did not understand Newcastle's doubts.

Thanks. Clear and concise.

Not looking at anyone, honestly. 😉 

• Haha 1

Anyway, the Spanish League is in a very difficult point for the teams that are looking to be at the top of the table.

I explain. Up there there will always be Real Madrid and Barcelona. Even in his worst years. In Spain, the President of LaLiga (His name is Tebas) is a recognized fan of Real Madrid and since he has been in office (more than 10 years) he has said that the League is only interested in Real Madrid and Barcelona being 1st and 2nd. Then, there is the president of the Federation (His name is Rubiales). Rubiales, who is the one who controls the referees, gets more money per contract if Real Madrid and Barcelona are 1st and 2nd than if another team does.

In recent weeks, many audios about Rubiales have been leaked. In them, for example, Atletico de Madrid was called 'Pathetic' from Madrid. They have also taken audios of him saying that he had to do everything possible so that Atletico de Madrid did not win La Liga (in 2018 or 2019, I don't remember) or insulting teams like Villarreal, Seville and Valencia.

So you know that Real Madrid and Barcelona always occupy two places. Since Simeone arrived (a blessing), Atleti has been in the top 3 for 10 years in a row. Unthinkable before he arrived. So you only have one spot left if you want to fight to get into our Big Four. And there are Sevilla, Valencia, Athletic, Villarreal, Real Sociedad... Sometimes Betis. They are great teams, with great seasons in the Europa League and even the Champions League, but only one of them can enter.

The difference is abysmal between the first 2 and the rest. The budget of Real Madrid and Barcelona is more than double that of the rest of the teams.

Atleti, third in the League that won the title two years ago, has a Salary Limit closer to Girona (the one with the least First Division) than to Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Until a few years ago, the television distribution in Spain was as follows: 600 million, of which 150M went to Real Madrid, 150M went to Barcelona, and the remaining 18 teams shared 300M.

That was seen with players who were very good and had no place in Real Madrid and Barcelona, they had to go to England. It happened with Fernando Torres, with Silva, with Luis García, with De Gea, with Xabi Alonso, with Cazorla, with Mata, etc etc etc.

We have had a sort of Scottish League for 20 years.

In that sense, I understand that Emery may be seduced by the Aston Villa project, as he was seduced by ours on his day. Aston Villa does not have a bad squad and, with the renewal of Douglas Luiz, if they recover a good Coutinho again and they promise good players next year, then perhaps they will not think about entering the Big Four in 2 years, but yes to fight for Europa League places in a team that pays him more and allows him to sign players.

• Like 3

Cheers for this Diego, away from why he chose Aston Villa, do you think that;

a) he can successfully implement his style with the players they have,

b) they will do well in the Premier League?

2 hours ago, Diego21 said:

Anyway, the Spanish League is in a very difficult point for the teams that are looking to be at the top of the table.

I explain. Up there there will always be Real Madrid and Barcelona. Even in his worst years. In Spain, the President of LaLiga (His name is Tebas) is a recognized fan of Real Madrid and since he has been in office (more than 10 years) he has said that the League is only interested in Real Madrid and Barcelona being 1st and 2nd. Then, there is the president of the Federation (His name is Rubiales). Rubiales, who is the one who controls the referees, gets more money per contract if Real Madrid and Barcelona are 1st and 2nd than if another team does.

In recent weeks, many audios about Rubiales have been leaked. In them, for example, Atletico de Madrid was called 'Pathetic' from Madrid. They have also taken audios of him saying that he had to do everything possible so that Atletico de Madrid did not win La Liga (in 2018 or 2019, I don't remember) or insulting teams like Villarreal, Seville and Valencia.

So you know that Real Madrid and Barcelona always occupy two places. Since Simeone arrived (a blessing), Atleti has been in the top 3 for 10 years in a row. Unthinkable before he arrived. So you only have one spot left if you want to fight to get into our Big Four. And there are Sevilla, Valencia, Athletic, Villarreal, Real Sociedad... Sometimes Betis. They are great teams, with great seasons in the Europa League and even the Champions League, but only one of them can enter.

The difference is abysmal between the first 2 and the rest. The budget of Real Madrid and Barcelona is more than double that of the rest of the teams.

Atleti, third in the League that won the title two years ago, has a Salary Limit closer to Girona (the one with the least First Division) than to Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Until a few years ago, the television distribution in Spain was as follows: 600 million, of which 150M went to Real Madrid, 150M went to Barcelona, and the remaining 18 teams shared 300M.

That was seen with players who were very good and had no place in Real Madrid and Barcelona, they had to go to England. It happened with Fernando Torres, with Silva, with Luis García, with De Gea, with Xabi Alonso, with Cazorla, with Mata, etc etc etc.

We have had a sort of Scottish League for 20 years.

In that sense, I understand that Emery may be seduced by the Aston Villa project, as he was seduced by ours on his day. Aston Villa does not have a bad squad and, with the renewal of Douglas Luiz, if they recover a good Coutinho again and they promise good players next year, then perhaps they will not think about entering the Big Four in 2 years, but yes to fight for Europa League places in a team that pays him more and allows him to sign players.

If they have the President of the Federation on audio saying those things, isn't there an investigation of some sort happening? It's one thing to rig the system so that the status quo is very hard to challenge, another to outright say that Atleti must be stopped from winning the title. 

17 hours ago, The Fish said:

Cheers for this Diego, away from why he chose Aston Villa, do you think that;

a) he can successfully implement his style with the players they have,

b) they will do well in the Premier League?

Emery is a coach that I really like. I already said it when we wanted to sign him. I think he is a very good coach for teams that are not Top, but want to get closer to being Top.

I also think that Aston Villa have a squad that can be exploited. Not perhaps to finish in the Top6, but to finish in the Top10 or Top8. Today I think they have 12 or 13 quite valid players, but the problem is that they don't have many reserves or that players who should be key (Digne or Diego Carlos) have replacements that don't have their level.

I don't think Emery's impact will be immediate, but if they get Ings or Watkins to score goals, they will finish the season in the middle of the table. And there Emery will have to start building his project with the signings that they bring him in the summer.