Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

If Everton survive perhaps they’ll suggest making the third relegation spot a four team play off too. A bit of jeopardy and excitement for the bottom 8 clubs 

• Haha 3

Can’t believe the lack of credit given to Lampard for keeping Everton up and Gerrard getting Villa into Europe

• Haha 7

Just watching motd. I didn’t realise this but Villa are above us in the form table since Emery took over in November. It looks like it could be much more competitive next season. Villa and Brighton both have good coaches. Liverpool will be in the mix again and Chelsea surely won’t be as bad next season. 

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Just watching motd. I didn’t realise this but Villa are above us in the form table since Emery took over in November. It looks like it could be much more competitive next season. Villa and Brighton both have good coaches. Liverpool will be in the mix again and Chelsea surely won’t be as bad next season. 

Not even 24 hours after the league finished and the bed wetting has already begun.

• Haha 8

Just now, ewerk said:

Not even 24 hours after the league finished and the bed wetting has already begun.

You’ll find no bed wetting here. I’m lord of the sausage, said he 

Villa made Europe didn't they? They'll drop off if so. As will we in fairness but at least we made the top tier competition for the sacrifice. Brighton will have the same issue. Chelsea have a lot of rebuilding work to do but you never know I suppose. As for the rest, Liverpool are an unknown for me - have they transitioned to something formidable again or was that end of season run in just a death rattle?

Emery arguably did better this season than Howe did last season. Started later, three  places higher than us tbf ie 16th, but finished 7th and got into Europe where we finished 11th, we gained 8 places they gained 10 but Emery didn’t spunk 90 mill this January as we did the previous one 

I remember Nigel Pearson got a lot of praise for largely putting Leicester’s title winning squad together in the 18 months before they won it, I wonder if Steven Gerrard will be remembered similarly at Villa? 🤔

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/aston-villa/transfer-talk/feature/aston-villa-transfer-ins-and-outs-january-2023_502171.html

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/newcastle-united/transfer-talk/feature/newcastle-united-transfer-ins-and-outs-january-2022_472909.html

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

You’ll find no bed wetting here. I’m lord of the sausage, said he 

As a kid I was always puzzled by that hymn as I didn’t know what a Dance Settee was, nor why JC would be Lord of it. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Apart from Chelsea they all have the dreaded Thursday Sunday fixtures which tends to hurt more. 🙂 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Emery arguably did better this season than Howe did last season. Started later, three  places higher than us tbf ie 16th, but finished 7th and got into Europe where we finished 11th, we gained 8 places they gained 10 but Emery didn’t spunk 90 mill this January as we did the previous one 

I remember Nigel Pearson got a lot of praise for largely putting Leicester’s title winning squad together in the 18 months before they won it, I wonder if Steven Gerrard will be remembered similarly at Villa? 🤔

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/aston-villa/transfer-talk/feature/aston-villa-transfer-ins-and-outs-january-2023_502171.html

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/newcastle-united/transfer-talk/feature/newcastle-united-transfer-ins-and-outs-january-2022_472909.html

Villa had a much better squad than Howe had to work with. Emery did well with them cos they're basically a good squad that was being criminally mismanaged by Gerrard.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Villa had a much better squad than Howe had to work with. Emery did well with them cos they're basically a good squad that was being criminally mismanaged by Gerrard.

Watkins better than Wilson? 

Mings better than Schar? 

they were probably stronger in midfield? … 

am not sure, no biggie like but the job Emery has done is at least as good as Howe iyam 👍

On the positive with that, our owners looked at both of them. That's a really good sign for the future tbh, if they're this strong on identifying competent management.

• Like 7

One man chose a pint of well-established but bland Theakstons Bitter, knowing it’d take ages to get pissed on it, in the company of fellow dullards. 

The other chose to get lashed on mad cocktails in a newly opened bar, where he’d either get thrown out after happy hour or go home with two filthy slapppers. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Watkins better than Wilson? 

Mings better than Schar? 

they were probably stronger in midfield? … 

am not sure, no biggie like but the job Emery has done is at least as good as Howe iyam 👍

I think he arguably had a bit more to work with but he’s done a fantastic job 

• Like 1