Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

She could be reading out an omelette recipe in Serbo-Croat, I’d still “watch”. 

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Was thinking of the mackem but Alex Scott.... Too pro arsenal and the usual mobs. 

:good:

21 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye. I think they are throwing females on the TV to tick a box. Some are good, some are woeful. 

TNT sports have a load of journalists doing punditry so it’s not exclusive to elite players. One of the worst pundits are Ferdinand and Owen and they were top players.

It is but tv in general was desperate for a shakeup and some diversity. If you watch almost anything pre-George Floyd’s murder / #MeToo then it can be quite jolting just how lacking in diversity shows were. Like panel shows where one woman, maybe one person of colour or someone with a non-British accent (just one of those, not all 3) were on. That would be on a relatively ‘woke’ programme too. It was also good to see the likes of Lawrenson being fucked off. He went from being good to going on like he’d been asked to identify a body in terms of his personality and enthusiasm on 5Live, etc. Ditto Alan fucking Green. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

It is but tv in general was desperate for a shakeup and some diversity. If you watch almost anything pre-George Floyd’s murder / #MeToo then it can be quite jolting just how lacking in diversity shows were. Like panel shows where one woman, maybe one person of colour or someone with a non-British accent (just one of those, not all 3) were on. That would be on a relatively ‘woke’ programme too. It was also good to see the likes of Lawrenson being fucked off. He went from being good to going on like he’d been asked to identify a body in terms of his personality and enthusiasm on 5Live, etc. Ditto Alan fucking Green. 

I couldn't understand how lawrenson lasted as long when he sounded so bored and sick of his life just being where he was? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, go and look at the cast list for any blockbuster about 10 years ago :lol: White lads doing everything short of blacking up

• Haha 1

Bring back the ghosts of saint and greavsie with cameos from Alan Parry, Does Lynam, David Coleman and Bob Wilson*. :good:

*Bob's only on because he used to tip us to finally win the cup again as we're a traditional cup side. :lol:

• Haha 1

It's got to be difficult to find someone who has expertise, charisma and brevity. Made harder by reducing the talent pool to (generally) those who've played the sport at an elite level. Made harder still by excluding 51% of the population.

Also think the nature of the sport and the format of the shows (Match of the Day, advert-interrupted live coverage) doesn't lend itself to anything more in-depth or interesting than the tedious clichés like , "He's got to do better there", "he's a top top top top player" or my personal bugbear "he's got it there and hit it and it's a goal". 

From a pundit/commentator, I want at least one of two things; explain to me something I don't know, or make what I'm watching more engaging/funny with their personality. McCoist does the latter brilliantly. 

Said it before but the best coverage of football comes from podcasts*, or youtube channels. Where they can take days to research and prepare, hours to record and deliver a 30 minute piece of content that ticks all the boxes. 

*no, not mine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It's got to be difficult to find someone who has expertise, charisma and brevity. Made harder by reducing the talent pool to (generally) those who've played the sport at an elite level. Made harder still by excluding 51% of the population.

Also think the nature of the sport and the format of the shows (Match of the Day, advert-interrupted live coverage) doesn't lend itself to anything more in-depth or interesting than the tedious clichés like , "He's got to do better there", "he's a top top top top player" or my personal bugbear "he's got it there and hit it and it's a goal". 

From a pundit/commentator, I want at least one of two things; explain to me something I don't know, or make what I'm watching more engaging/funny with their personality. McCoist does the latter brilliantly. 

Said it before but the best coverage of football comes from podcasts*, or youtube channels. Where they can take days to research and prepare, hours to record and deliver a 30 minute piece of content that ticks all the boxes. 

*no, not mine.

Aye McCoist is great. Of all the current commentators and pundits he's my favourite. He never takes favourites, and basically passes on the information of what he's seeing in a way that any normal fan of the game would. 

I think Neville is the better of Sky pundit/commentators as he can put his personal feelings aside and talk about what he's witnessing. Carragher is the complete opposite. However, I do like those two together in the studio. Keane is a fucking dickhead, but it's funny watching his outbursts whenever he's on pundit duties for Man Utd, plus him and Micah Richards have been an interesting pairing as Richards is clearly a wind up merchant, and loves to get under Keane's skin during games.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chaser said:

Those who have criticised female commentators have gone down the worm hole unfortunately in trying to be polite about the ones they're referring to.  What they should have said is some of the women who are commentating on the football are shit and have been put there to appease a section of society so can we have some more women who are good at it. 

I've heard a couple of decent female commentators and there's a couple of decent pundits, including Jill Scott (excusing she's one of the unwashed) but there's a whole bunch of blokes who are equally shit at it and only got the gig because of their ex player status. 

Michael Owen

Jamie Carragher

Rio Ferdinand

Jamie Redknapp

Robbie Savage

Dion Dublin

All terrible. 

Gary Neville is very good.

James Allcott off of youtube is also very good

One of them isnt an ex-pro

Being an ex-pro shouldnt be a pre-requisite

Being knowledgeable and articulate should be.

18 minutes ago, RobElliott said:

We need Brian Moore from the rugby to come in and commentate...

Totally unbiased :D

Love Brian Moore. He’s an  even bigger Yorkshire bastard than Wykiki :D 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 3

I’ve learned more about the actual tactics being played out in front of me on the screen from Emma Hayes than maybe any other pundit ever. That’s from about two/three England games I’ve seen her do. Others that explained things simply and clearly were Terry Venables and Jack Charlton when they were on the circuit. The rest are to varying degrees ok to fuckin awful but I’ll quite often turn the sound down if it’s Savage or Ferdinand or Owen. Put some music on that’s not too distracting and make your own fuckin minds up about what’s happening :cuppa: 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Love Brian Moore. He’s an  even bigger Yorkshire bastard than Wykiki :D 

He had a bit of a strange blind spot re: Mike Ashley ages back. But generally he’s brilliant and spot on (not just re: rugby). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Won't he backdated. So Chelsea have completely taken the piss and got away with it.

Have they got away with it? They're stuck with a lot of overpaid shite on long eight year deals. It's great if the player is a success but if they're failures, as most of them have been, then it's a millstone round their neck.

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Have they got away with it? They're stuck with a lot of overpaid shite on long eight year deals. It's great if the player is a success but if they're failures, as most of them have been, then it's a millstone round their neck.

Aye, not many of those players have been even remotely successful so far - if any. 

Mudryk looks like one of the worst signings in PL history in terms of value at this point and that Argentinian lad they spunked £100m on is still trying to find his way out of Miley's pocket.

5 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I like Neville. Richard’s is okay in small doses and seems to be better on CBS. That’s more his style. 

Agreed on Richards. I've seen Carragher try to pull of Richards' loud in your face sort of comic style on CBS and he ends up looking completely ridiculous. As if the nonsense he sprouts isn't bad enough. Dont think I could stomach regular Sky coverage. 

Edited by aimaad22