Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

According to Lukey boy they'll have to pay £10m compensation and he has a 12 month gardening leave clause. 

They can shorten that but it'll cost them. 

Lovely stuff. 

• Like 2

If he wants to go and we can demand some decent wedge then there's not much to say really other than off you fuck and I sincerely hope he has fond memories of the shit, shower and shave he had at NUFC. (Also hope they fuck everything up and he's not all that, naturally). 

• Like 3

Isn't it clearly the case that our best signings since the takeover have been from prior to Ashworth coming in? Weren't Bruno, Tripps, Botman, Pope and Isak all prior to Ashworth?

Ashworth has overseen the signing of a gambling addict and a LB who is third-string.

Credit for Tino and Barnes. But they weren't exactly unearthed gems. I hope ManU continue to fail with him or anyone else.

I don't think this effects us much if he goes. ManU are signing a reputation. We've seen this coming so there'll be contingency in place to deal with it. 

By the way, ManU must be expecting some nice marginal gains now that Sir Brailsford has his foot in the door. That cunt is a massive cheat. Looking forward to him failing miserably in a sport where PED use is light years ahead of little ol' le Tour. 

• Like 5

I remember the way Eddie talked about watching Tonali play for Milan and wanting him so I don't think Ashworth played that much of a part in that one (for good or for bad - I've seen him getting stick on Twitter for the signing) so as others have said he hasn't exactly unearthed  Brighton type gems as yet. 

Just like with players, if people don't want to be here then fuck them.

• Like 3

He’s not just a chief scout though. I have no idea exactly what a modern day DoF/Sporting Director role entails but transfers are only part of it 

A DoF as far as I can make out is supposed to be the ultimate football brains of the club. He should hire and fire the first team coach who should be brought in to carry out the DoF’s philosophy on the pitch. First team coaches should be expendable but the philosophy continues due to the long term appointment of the DoF. That used to stop a coach coming in, spending millions on his staff and player choices then leaving after 18 months and a club having to start all over again. A good DoF prevents that scenario. Who’s the club most guilty of that bullshit in the last decade or so?.. 

A  DoF is also responsible for the recruitment team who identify the players required to carry out the philosophy and the development of the youth academy. Hes obviously got to do it within income and FFP constraints so he’s also got to be financially well qualified and astute . 

Ashworth is going to one of the five biggest clubs on the planet . He’ll do all the above with more cash flow and more FFP wriggle room. In a way it’s a no brainer but it doesn’t reflect particularly well on him . He's supposed to be designing the “NUFC project” which is a bullshit phrase but his leaving shows that the likes of him do see these things in those terms . 

Maybe Howe has too much clout with the owners and Ashworth feels he can’t do his job properly because Howe wasn’t his appointment. I’ve seen a few names being linked with the job one of which is Richard Hughes who (surprise surprise ) is an ex Bournemouth teammate of EH and was Techinical Director at Bournemouth when Howe was coach there. If he is appointed it’s a full on AFCB coup at NUFC. Maybe that’s why we’re strongly linked with Billing? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think he was a good appointment in regards of strategic thinking but it is not the end of the world if he runs after the money. Brighton have coped quite well with him leaving.

What is Edwards up to these day (not Luke but the one with a clue)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Isegrim said:

What is Edwards up to these day (not Luke but the one with a clue)

He's being talked up after leaving Liverpool and not working, I believe, at the moment.

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Have to “sell a top player”

Has anyone at the club actually said that or is Downie going on what Eales said? 

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Have to “sell a top player”

Has anyone at the club actually said that or is Downie going on what Eales said? 

It's pure speculation if we're being honest. We have increased revenues in the year, and will increase them further next year through new commercial deals (though we're unlikely to get CL again as it stands which will hamper us slightly).

We're very likely to lose Bruno in the summer when PSG activates his release clause - but that was always going to happen, so we don't have to sell any top players other than the one player who was always likely to leave for massive money.

13 hours ago, Alex said:

I appreciate it early days in the :quotes:project :quotes: and there’s probably some sour grapes here too but I’ve found him a bit ‘meh’ so far. I don’t think any of the first teamers brought in required much rocket science and the hopefuls haven’t done much on their loan spells. Brighton haven’t exactly fallen apart in his absence either. 
All of which may change subject to what happens ;) 

Not to mention his disastrous physio appointment

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If Ashworth hasn't already identified his own replacement then he hasn't been doing his job.

Didn't he pretty much hand select his replacement at Brighton too, or at least have a hand in the recruitment?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was that lad from Liverpool who stepped down at the end of the season, Edwards I think his name is.

I think part of his ethos is having a list of multiple replacements for all major positions within the club and team so you'd imagine there should be a list for his job.

At Brighton he was replaced by David Weir who had been at the club for four years but I doubt we have anyone in the background ready to step up. Penfold probably already has his CV in the post.

Edited by ewerk
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think part of his ethos is having a list of multiple replacements for all major positions within the club and team so you'd imagine there should be a list for his job.

At Brighton he was replaced by David Weir who had been at the club for four years but I doubt we have anyone in the background ready to step up. Penfold probably already has his CV in the post.

Shola, Jack Ross or Steve Harper are pretty much the only people at the club in relevant roles and I doubt any of them have the necessary skills to take over as technical/sporting director

8 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Shola, Jack Ross or Steve Harper are pretty much the only people at the club in relevant roles and I doubt any of them have the necessary skills to take over as technical/sporting director

What about promoting manager's from the past? No, not Bruce, that would be silly. I'm thinking more....

image.png.1d508090d6bbe73336d58d0048168612.png

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

One would assume that if these lists were created at Newcastle or Brighton then as a work product he couldn't bring it to Man U with him.

But let's be realistic. He will.

• Like 1