Bitcoin

Anorthernsoul

16 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Morning Dr G. Was just having a read through here and wondered if your view had change and for that matter, the view of those around you, given the likes of the CEO of Blackrock calling Crypto digitalised Gold and that "Bitcoin has the power to revolutionalise Finance". Add to that The likes of the major players like Blackrock and fidelity etc all applying for Bitcoin ETF's. 

no. My view hasn’t changed. The big asset managers like crypto because they like the volatility. They need the dumb money to keep wading in. They can afford to take risky bets. It’s the small retail investors who end up fuelling these cycles, giving the big players what they want before ultimately losing out.

fwiw, I think blockchain technology is here to stay so Crypto already has revolutionised finance but that doesn’t change the fact it’s still a massive ponzi scheme 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

no. My view hasn’t changed. The big asset managers like crypto because they like the volatility. They need the dumb money to keep wading in. They can afford to take risky bets. It’s the small retail investors who end up fuelling these cycles, giving the big players what they want before ultimately losing out.

fwiw, I think blockchain technology is here to stay so Crypto already has revolutionised finance but that doesn’t change the fact it’s still a massive ponzi scheme 

Cheers for that. I was just interested given all these fairly sensible huge corporations are now lining up to get involved whether it was more a case of wanting there share or realising that blockchain is here to stay and they need to get more involved.

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Not a bad week.

IMG_4101.thumb.jpeg.6aea151ec6e98675d54760e80de21e0c.jpeg

This is the same as people posting those wordle things last year. Don't understand it, couldn't give a fuck either. :lol:

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

This is the same as people posting those wordle things last year. Don't understand it, couldn't give a fuck either. :lol:

Cheers for reminding me, I forgot to let the lads in the guitar thread know I can’t read music but don’t give a fuck anyway. :lol: 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Not a bad week.

IMG_4101.thumb.jpeg.6aea151ec6e98675d54760e80de21e0c.jpeg

image.gif.011026a9ed78ab41b2f596a1b626b748.gif

Fabrizio Romano has tweeted that discussions are taking place over PM about a possible deal. No firm agreement in place yet.

16 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

So when you make 64.78% on a trade, do you withdraw real money or is it just a number in a computer ??

All well and good if you can realise the readies.

Edited by Toonpack

16 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

So when you make 64.78% on a trade, do you withdraw real money or is it just a number in a computer ??

All well and good if you can realise the readies.

You do whatever you want. It goes into your account on the exchange and if you want to with draw to your Bank account you just do that. As we are just over halfway through the bear to bull market cycle, most people choose to buy the coins they think are going to 10x 50x or 100x and transfer those offline. You can still skim profits of these coins as they are going up (I skimmed £377 off one called KAS last night) and then either send that cash to your bank or use it to buy more of that coin when the price pulls back. Rinse and repeat. 

Obviously its a lot easier when you are being lead, taught and advised (by people who know this stuff inside out), which coins are likely to make you money and which ones to avoid.  

3 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

How ar you paying your tax?

When Im lucky enough to earn over 6K then you have to pay 20% capital gains. Most exchanges (Like Etsy) have KYC checks so the government already know what you've made. No escaping it. 

• 3 months later...

Yeah, exciting times.  I told a mate to get some on Friday, I bet he didn't.

It is still cheap, but everyone will get it at the price they deserve.  

Although it is a volatile (if kinda predictably) asset, to me the real risk is in not having any.  

That link just gives me a perpetual captcha btw.  

I bought 2 bitcoins.

The first one cost £250 (this was in 2014).

I put it into a “secure” online wallet and forgot about it for a couple of years.

Then I saw that prices were creeping up so I bought another one for £4000 (2017).

Then I kept looking at my balance on my crypto wallet and got bored and decided to “invest” one of my bitcoins on bitconnect.

A poor move as they eventually collapsed and took all the money with them. Fortunately I’d got most of my £4k back but I’d missed out on it rising up to £12-13k.

Then I sold the first one and drove to Andorra and bought a Rolex for me and the Mrs.

So I have a Rolex Explorer (under the radar kind of watch) that cost me £125 🚀

• Like 2

The trouble with bitcoin is that as yet it doesn’t “feel” valuable in its own right (although that may well be changing).

It only made sense to me as its equivalent value in fiat currency. And as that rose the fear of losing “actual” fiat value (I know, lol) it became harder to see a reason to keep it.

Also because the exchanges occasionally get hacked (although I haven’t heard of one for a while) there’s always that feeling that you could just lose it all.

Thinking out loud, the smartest thing for me to do would be to buy 0.1 bitcoin and forget about it.