Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I watched Captain America the other day as I downloaded The Avengers a couple of weeks ago and thought I should see all the base films before wacthing that - I've seen the rest.

I don't think I've ever seen such a shallow film - I know modern super hero films do have an element of asking you to switch your brain off but fuck me this was taking the piss - no depth to characters or plot in any shape or form - this was summed up by hiim putting a gang together and in about 5 minutes destroying every secret Nazi base in Europe. They could at least have wheeled out a 95 year old lass at the end for a bit of closure but no (of course there may be something in The Avengers about her for all I know but still).

I watched Captain America the other day as I downloaded The Avengers a couple of weeks ago and thought I should see all the base films before wacthing that - I've seen the rest.

I don't think I've ever seen such a shallow film - I know modern super hero films do have an element of asking you to switch your brain off but fuck me this was taking the piss - no depth to characters or plot in any shape or form - this was summed up by hiim putting a gang together and in about 5 minutes destroying every secret Nazi base in Europe. They could at least have wheeled out a 95 year old lass at the end for a bit of closure but no (of course there may be something in The Avengers about her for all I know but still).

Eerily similar to what I did and aye it was shite.

Captain America has never been a character of great depth. It becomes more interesting when he's a man out of his own time, as we'll see in future films. The only other character I'd expect to see again is Bucky. More than likely to turn up in Cap 2 as the Winter Soldier. There was a little hint of his disquiet at the role reversal and the fame his friend received in his stead.

Aye Cap 2 will be winter soldier as fish said, also going to look at him struggling to adjust which was originally earmarked for avengers but dropped since the film was already pretty long.

Wouldn't be surprised to see her again with that in mind.

Wouldn't be surprised to see her again with that in mind.

Rumour has it she's been cast to play Peggy's niece, Sharon, in the contemporary Captain America sequels.

And a quick reminder of why she should get more screen time.

Hayley_Atwell.jpg

I thought it was ok. Anyone who takes these films as seriously or expects as much from them as your post implies needs to have a word with themselves tbh.

I actually love "switch off brain" films as a genre but there still should be something there at a basic level which I maintain this lacked.

I can see the out of his time thing others have mentioned being interesting but still think the ground work should have been better.

"It’s like that friend you’ve got who loves something you don’t understand and one day you ask about it and as soon as they start speaking you realise you could not give one iota of a fuck. Oh, and your friend is the ugliest person in the world."

http://viagroar.tumblr.com/post/39601707133/so-basically-its-about-a-bunch-of-dwarfs-who-want

I actually love "switch off brain" films as a genre but there still should be something there at a basic level which I maintain this lacked.

I can see the out of his time thing others have mentioned being interesting but still think the ground work should have been better.

Fair enough, they're still just films about people in spandex hitting people. I suppose the Nolan Batmans are the leading light in 'character development' - whilst I on the whole enjoyed them I found this aspect a bit heavy and that they took themselves very seriously. If you want character development then watch grown up films, not teenage wanking fantasies.

The Hobbit

HOBBIT_2411622b.jpg

As a big fan of the book I absolutely loved it. I know it has received some criticism in parts for being too long but I felt it was paced fantastically and included just the right amount of detail as well as some creative licensing from the book such as Azog being the main antagonist in this part. I thought Freeman was really good in his role as Bilbo too. Even though it is a children's book I thought at times it took a far darker twist that I wouldn't exactly say was entirely suitable for young children too. The soundtrack was stunning as well which was nothing short of what I expected. Having recently watched Lord of the Rings to get myself jeered up for this I thought the CGI has also got better too. Radagast's cameo was quite good too. All in all if you are a fan of the book I think you will love this.

8.5/10

Gone Baby Gone

gone-baby-gone-movie.jpg

2007 film directed by Ben Affleck and starring his younger brother Casey (who I think is a fantastic actor and impresses me every time I see him). I thought it was pretty good even though the plot twist was a tad predictable, but it contained a really powerful ending that you can tell is supposed to make the viewer think about their own moral code if you like.

7.5/10

Winter's Bone

Winters-Bone-007.jpg

2010 film starring Jennifer Lawrence as Ree Rolly who is a 17 year old who is looking after her mentally ill mother and her younger brother and sister due to their father not being around. As the story unfolds you find out that their father is a meth cook who is now missing after his bail was posted using their house as this was part of his bail bond. So the story then focuses on Ree trying to find out what has happened to her father or otherwise her family will lose their home. This is one of those films where you think not much is actually happening but it is carried by some stunning on screen performances. Even though it is quite slow paced I was still on the edge of my seat all of the way through as I wasn't sure what was going to happen. Definitely think it is the best film I've saw for quite some time.

9/10

Killer Joe

killer%2Bjoe%2B1.jpg

Utterly batshit crazy film. Matthew McConaughey plays Joe Cooper a local police detective turned hitman who is hired to kill a woman so the family can cash in on her insurance policy. However they can't afford to pay him so Juno Temple (fucking lush) is used as his retainer until they use the insurance money to pay him. I can't really go into too much detail as it's one of those films that you just have to watch and see how mental it is for yourself.

7/10

Wife and I couldn't agree on a film so opted for more breaking bad. Season 5 is getting dark as. They used to be goofy and the comedy was black. Now it's just black. Walt is turning into a bad ass and there's not much to laugh about anymore. It's going to end in tears

Wife and I couldn't agree on a film so opted for more breaking bad. Season 5 is getting dark as. They used to be goofy and the comedy was black. Now it's just black. Walt is turning into a bad ass and there's not much to laugh about anymore. It's going to end in tears

Just started watching series 1 today, can tell I'm going to love it

The Queen of Versailles. Documentary about a time share tycoon and his beauty queen wife's quest to build the biggest home in America. It takes a turn when the documentary makers get lucky and the stock market crash completely alters the course of everything. On Netflix and well worth a watch 8/10.

Zero Dark Thirty. The new Katherine Bigelow film about the pursuit of Osama Bin Laden. Enjoyable, not as much as the Hurt Locker. They'll love it in the cinemas in the States. Whooping and hollering for all. 7/10

The Hobbit - it was ok, 6-7/10 at the best

It'd been years since i've read the book, but went and checked there and has resulted in my main bugbears with that movie, the last 30mins of that dragged out bit with "Azog" he's not meant to be alive he gets chinned in another battle wayyyyyyy before that, and that other wizard the brown one is just mentioned in the story, but had a 30minute cameo in the movie where he meets up with them all for a bit.

And Bilbo is like a Hobbit Rambo in the movie, in the book he's a wuss, a fat middleaged one at that

the bit they show in the movie where he gets his arm lopped off is where he's meant to be killed

Can understand them changing some of the charactors to make them a bit more viewer friendly, younger looking protaganist etc, but they've actually changed the character development

I think the reason that they went down that route with Azog as without him there'd be no main villain in the first film, so I can fully understand why they done that. Was canny to see them speaking in Orc as well.

Looking forward to seeing what role Bolg plays in the final two films too.

I enjoyed seeing Radagast as well. Total space cadet. :D