Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Arrival.

I think I must have been going through a senile spell when I read the story as I realised after watching the film that I didn't "get it" when I read it.

I got the non-linear time thing and her brain starting to think like that because of the language but missed the whole life story thing.

I'm now really glad I watched the film as I enjoyed it despite it making me doubt my intelligence :)

Manchester by the sea. Not an easy watch for a Saturday night but beautifully done. Absolutely spellbinding performance from Casey afleck, who looks a dead cert for the best actor oscar, and a perfect deployment of flashbacks as a narrative tool. 9/10

i thought it was canny. like most linklater filums, not a lot happens, but the scale of its ambition meant that didn't really matter. seeing a family seamlessly age by over a decade in the space of a couple of hours entertainment was pretty amazing. 

I have a family and I've seen them age. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get that it's very clever because it filmed the whole thing in quasi-real time and all, but it's pretty easy to move the narrative goalposts when you give yourself that much time.

Watched the seven five a while ago, really liked it.

I finally finished watching the OJ documentary the other night.  The prosecution made a right arse of his original trial but the judge in his robbery case really stuck it to him in what you can only imagine was an effort at some kind of retribution.  It was amazing to see the reaction of the black (and a certainly white bloke who seems to think he's black) community to his original acquittal.  It's hard to imagine a similar reaction to anyone over here.  

La La Land.

Christ what a Turkey.

The two lead actors can't really sing and dance. This one would imagine as a stumbling block to something proporting to be a musical.  Drive looks half asleep through most of it and goldfish eyes is so lacking in screen presence it is really painful to watch her.

3.8/10

Patriots Day.  Thoroughly entertaining.

Hidden Figures.  I assume the three women weren't all best friends in real life, but I can get over that for the sake of the story.  It's a nice companion piece to The Right Stuff which I also watched recently.  And Janelle Monae is hot as fuck in it.

Fences.  A bit of a slog and I don't really know why Washington was Oscar nominated for it.  He just plays the same Denzell that he always plays, except this time he's a bit more of a cunt.  Mykelti Williamson was much better as his brother was much better.

Kingsman. Good fun. Slick direction from Vaughan. What the fuck was Samuel L Jackson's lisp all about though? I'm a big fan usually bit that was a shocking performance 7/10