Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Atonement.

Checking internet reviews, this seems a bit marmite. Well, I loved it, but then I love McEwan books. I would rate it as one of the greatest British films ever and it it has the potential to win several oscars.

The macho men here needn't apply like, but it's a crushingly sad tragedy that arises from the smallest of mistakes and ends up ruining three peoples' lives. On the sadness stakes, it's like Million dollar baby multiplied by Brokeback mountain, squared. Actually not particularly comfortable viewing in public, if I'm honest.

And Cath might not sympathise with Robbie (James McAvoy), but you'll have to watch the film/read the book to find out why. :lol:

What was the Dunkirk scene like, I hear its fantastic. Filmed on Redcar beach.

Atonement.

Checking internet reviews, this seems a bit marmite. Well, I loved it, but then I love McEwan books. I would rate it as one of the greatest British films ever and it it has the potential to win several oscars.

The macho men here needn't apply like, but it's a crushingly sad tragedy that arises from the smallest of mistakes and ends up ruining three peoples' lives. On the sadness stakes, it's like Million dollar baby multiplied by Brokeback mountain, squared. Actually not particularly comfortable viewing in public, if I'm honest.

And Cath might not sympathise with Robbie (James McAvoy), but you'll have to watch the film/read the book to find out why. :lol:

Lad at my work was an extra in that scene - he says it took months for them to pay him!

Atonement.

Superb imo, technically and artistically. I can't remember the name given to those long, unbroken shots where the camera pans around (I'm sure HF does mind), but the one in this case is simply mind boggling. Difficult to know from the film if that was an accurate representation or he was going slightly mad though, either way it was brilliant.

Atonement.

Superb imo, technically and artistically. I can't remember the name given to those long, unbroken shots where the camera pans around (I'm sure HF does mind), but the one in this case is simply mind boggling. Difficult to know from the film if that was an accurate representation or he was going slightly mad though, either way it was brilliant.

I don't know what it's called. If it's what I'm thinking of it was pioneered by James Cameron on Titanic where the camera swings out from above the ocean to within a whisker of Jack and Rose on the tip of the Titanic and back out over the ocean again. At least that was the first CGI shot to perfect it. The Longest Day and The Sound of Music have similarly impressive helicopter shots done manually.

I've never seen Atonement so I might be completely misunderstanding what you mean.

Atonement.

I don't know what it's called. If it's what I'm thinking of it was pioneered by James Cameron on Titanic where the camera swings out from above the ocean to within a whisker of Jack and Rose on the tip of the Titanic and back out over the ocean again. At least that was the first CGI shot to perfect it. The Longest Day and The Sound of Music have similarly impressive helicopter shots done manually.

I've never seen Atonement so I might be completely misunderstanding what you mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ark

Atonement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ark

Excellent film.

Timecode and Rope do similar experiments.

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK

The new film from Chan Wook Park (who we all love for Oldboy). The title suggests a sci-fi romp, but it's not, it's set in a mental institute where a young lass whose family has a history of mental disorders, is being treated for one of her own (the title should cover that). Sounds depressing, but it's all done with a sense of humour and looks as gorgeous as anything Park's done before. Absoloutley love the guy more and more with every film.

I read an interview with him where he said he made this as a film his kids could enjoy. Don't worry though, within the first 5 minutes a lass has slit her wrists, wanged some live wires into her arm and blown herself across the room in a singed mess. There's much more carnage throughout too. The tone is a lot lighter than any of his previous films though, I imagine a large percentage of Oldboy fans will be disappointed with it. For me the line is always clear between the girls hallucinations, and reality, but I think it'll just weird out people too much to be as popular as his other stuff.

Is this out on DVD? I love Oldboy and Lady Vengence and I'm looking forward to Mr Vengence too.

Not on dvd yet but avialable on other 'sources'. I managed to get hold of a pristine version recently.

Alpha Dog

Really slick film, was worried that the acting might detract from the story, but it was very well done. I'm glad Hollywood didn't fairytale the ending as well.

Decent film and worth a watch imo

Wheels On Meals

Highly regarded Kung Fu film with Jackie Chan from his Hong Kong days. Yuen Biao and Samo Hung share top billing and the latter directs what is basically a run of the mill boys meet girl, girl turns out to be a theiving postitute, girl's uncle wants to kill her, boys kill uncle and they all live happily ever after plot. The action scenes are very good though, I winced quite a few times.

Rennaisance

Didn't work for me, The black and white animation was sometimes lush (like the forest scenes) where there was different shades, but being 90% monochrome motion capture made it difficult to discern what was going on in a scene a lot of the time. This might have been intentional as the plot is pretty incomprehensible too.

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?

Fantastic black comedy. Thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.

12 Angry Men

Classic, this is how courtroom drama's should be made. Kept the pace going despite being literally 12 men in a room for the duration of the film.

Knocked Up... Brilliant.

V.Funny (as long as you are a fan of the Carell/Sandler/Ferrell school of comedy)

Im a huge fan of katherine heigl but I thought that was unbelieveably shite.

Keane

A mentally unstable man whose daughter was abducted tries to come to terms with it. Damian Lewis is superb, even though he is hampered (particularly in the first half hour) by his characters lack of any internal monologue whatsoever. that whole section could have been done in silence, and he had the chops to pull it off, but his constant stream of expository dialogue is distracting to say the least and lets down what is otherwise an excellent film. Like The Woodsman, it might make some people uncomfortable by depicting a child abducter in an almost sympathetic light, but I think the self-doubt and anguish is more real than a pantomime child snatcher. Grim, but well worth a watch, just mute the first third.

The Notorious Bettie Page

Written and directed by the woman who adapted and directed forum favourite American Psycho, it's the story of the real life pin up model and the senate investigations into the material her employers purveyed. What Boogie Nights was to the 70/80's, this film is to the 50's, only not as good. It's not bad though, Gretchen Mol is quality, I just don't see the point in it beyond titillation. Which is perhaps the point. When the Simpsons can't draw a bum on tv anymore and a wardrobe malfunction causes the collapse of society we probably need reminded of how pathetic censorship can be, and that it should be fought.

Rain Man - Probably shouldn't have watched it as I began to like Tom Cruise and realised how good of an actor he was until he went a bit Radio Rental. Dustin Hoffman was amazing in it too.

Edited by Skol

Knocked Up... Brilliant.

V.Funny (as long as you are a fan of the Carell/Sandler/Ferrell school of comedy)

Im a huge fan of katherine heigl but I thought that was unbelieveably shite.

Ok it's not gonna challenge for any oscars or owt, but it is a good 'leave your brain at the door' movie.

The Simpsons Movie

At last. Thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through. I'd heard criticism that the laughs drop off after the first 20 minutes, but I thought it was pretty consistent. I can't see it knocking South Park off the post-beers comedy of choice, but it had me creased a few times. For some reason, Barts drawing of Flanders over Homer had me in stiches and no-one else was laughing.