Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Fantastic Mr Fox.

Quite good, but probably the most smug and introverted Wes Anderson film I've seen, and it's meant to be a kids' film.

I liked it but Roald Dahl would have absolutely hated it.

Isn't that like saying it's the scariest Stephen King book you've ever read? :icon_lol:

On a sidenote, if somebody out there could figure out how to make a 3-D movie without having to make the audience wear the glasses, they'd be a billionaire. FFS, come on- those glasses (in some form or another) have been around for like 50 fucking years. Sort it out!

Well, yeah, the most Wes Anderson-esque Wes Anderson film I've seen. That's what I meant.

For the record, I LOVED Bottle Rocket. <_<

Saw Sherlock Holmes tonight. I really liked it. Don't misunderstand, it isn't a highwater mark in cinema or anything, but it's probably the best pop movie I've seen in a long time. Kudos to Madonnás ex-husband. :icon_lol:

I think the fact that Ritchie is mercifully absent from the list of writers helps a lot. It does look good like, might try to see it this week.

Watched Miss Potter tonight on the telly. Really enjoyed it - much to my surprise. A lovely true story, with some fantastic scenic shots of the Lakes.

:icon_lol:<_<

and if you park on top of tarn hawes and walk down the waterfall path you'll end up at the cottage from the film where they serve the most delicious lamb sandwhiches.

It's from a special breed of lamb that they breed there and the couple who run it have many a long yarn to spin about when Hollywood came to town.

Currently my favourite place in the lakes.

For All Mankind

Class doc that Alex has been bangiong on about since I joined on here. Was on BBC4 over christmas. Available on Iplayer until 12:19am Tuesday 5th January 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lk...or_All_Mankind/

Now to get the soundtrack.

Big Trouble in Little China

Coming to it over 20 years late it was never going to be the classic for me that others perceive it to be. Canny funny, but there's nowt much to it.

Where The Wild Things Are.

A very sad film. The director said that it was more a film about childhood than a film for children. In which case why is it so depressing? Big departure from the theme of the book.

I liked Fantastic Mr Fox but had resevations about its suitability for children, this even more so.

Inglourious Basterds.

Enjoyed it, opening scene was superb.

I know it's Tarantino, but I found some of the gore to be gratuitous.

E.G. The final scene- we all know what Aldo is about to do, surely a cut-away with Landt's screams would be more effective?

I'm not squeamish , just thought it unneccesary.

All in all though, good movie.

Inglourious Basterds

What a misleading trailer. It set the film up entirely as a Dirty Dozen style men on a mission war flick...but you only actually see two of the 'basterds' speak in the whole film. None of the storyline described in the trailer is on screen. That doesn't make it a bad film. What does that is how much Tarantino loves his own writing.

Chapter 1 is two men sitting at a dining room table talking.

Chapter 2 is the basterds in a forest talking.

Chapter 3 is two men and a woman sitting at a restaurant table talking.

Chapter 4 is three men and a woman sitting at a bar table talking.

Chapter 5 is everyone being killed

None of the story in the first four chapters is told in the images. Even as people are doing all this excessive talking, writing pops up on screen with arrows pointing out who's who because Tarantino apparently doesn't have the ability to place characters in a setting unless it's explicit. When you compare this to something like Wall-E or Up that go long stretches with a completely dialogue free story arc you wonder if Tarantino knows what film is about, he's clearly far more interested in writing than film making. Which wouldn't be bad if he was Mankiewicz, but there's barely a laugh out loud moment in the film until the final line.

It's been over a decade that Tarantino was talking up his war movie so this is a huge disappointment. Someone take back his screenplay oscar cos it was blatantly Roger Avery's award (Pulp Fiction co-writer and uncredited on true Romance and Reservoir Dogs) and it's gone to QT's head.

Edited by Happy Face

Inglourious Basterds

What a misleading trailer. It set the film up entirely as a Dirty Dozen style men on a mission war flick...but you only actually see two of the 'basterds' speak in the whole film. None of the storyline described in the trailer is on screen. That doesn't make it a bad film. What does that is how much Tarantino loves his own writing.

Chapter 1 is two men sitting at a dining room table talking.

Chapter 2 is the basterds in a forest talking.

Chapter 3 is two men and a woman sitting at a restaurant table talking.

Chapter 4 is three men and a woman sitting at a bar table talking.

Chapter 5 is everyone being killed

None of the story in the first four chapters is told in the images. Even as people are doing all this excessive talking, writing pops up on screen with arrows pointing out who's who because Tarantino apparently doesn't have the ability to place characters in a setting unless it's explicit. When you compare this to something like Wall-E or Up that go long stretches with a completely dialogue free story arc you wonder if Tarantino knows what film is about, he's clearly far more interested in writing than film making. Which wouldn't be bad if he was Mankiewicz, but there's barely a laugh out loud moment in the film until the final line.

It's been over a decade that Tarantino was talking up his war movie so this is a huge disappointment. Someone take back his screenplay oscar cos it was blatantly Roger Avery's award (Pulp Fiction co-writer and uncredited on true Romance and Reservoir Dogs) and it's gone to QT's head.

Didn't like it then? ;)

Watched 'Poltergay' last night.

A young couple move into a house which had a gay nightclub in its basement in the 70s. The club burned down and now the house is haunted by 5 disco-loving, mega-camp, gay poltergeist. They are a mischeivous bunch and their camp antics soon get the young man into trouble with his girlfriend who thinks he is turning gay.

Great soundtrack.

last week

Sherlock Holmes 7/10 nothing to great but a decent watch

tonight

The Road 0/10 the worst film ive ever seen no idea how it gets such decent ratings on Rotten tomatoes

Oh and yeah im a film geek ;)

Burn After Reading

Enjoyable. Very Coenish.

Aye, I enjoyed that.

Going to watch The Wrestler(Mickey Rourke) tonight, never got round to it over the Holidays.

Speaking of Rourke, watched Domino the other night. Bit disappointing tbh. Could've been a fascinating film given the storyline, but style triumphed over substance.

Still, Keira Knightly...

Be still my throbbing forearms.

Taken. MUCH better than I thought it would be. I figured it'd be a thriller judging by the trailer, very old school, violent action/revenge film.

4/5.

Hoping to see The Road soon. I really liked the book and Vigo is great.