Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Isn't that the documentary that starts of a about a shit clown, who then ends up being accused of being a kiddie fiddler?

Kind of. There's three sons - one is a clown, one has a shit wet skipping rope mark tache, and the other molests kids. The dad also molests kids.

And the family themselves are obsessed with filming everything that happens, so you watch the breakdown of the family under the weight of the accusations. But they're just so....fucking....weird.

Just watched Frost/Nixon. One of those rare films, I thought, where everybody says how good it is in advance and it then turns out not to be disappointing.

Fucking belter that one like. 9/10

ET 9.8 / 10

Part of the fun of having lots of kids is that you get to re-visit lots of goodies like this, Mary poppins etc.

Anyway got to watch it again but this time for the first time with the 6 year. There were laughs and tears aplenty and I think she liked it as well.

Brilliant storytelling.

Michael Clayton. 5/10

Could have been an allright film however an over enthusiastic editor got his hands on it and it ended up being all over the place.

If a director let his editor have the final say on the cut then he shouldn't be allowed to make movies.

More likely it was a shite film and the director when finally realising this during the edit though let's mix it up and hopefully no one will notice how bad it is.

State of Grace (1990) by Phil Joanou - it's been a few years since I've seen this but it still holds up as a great film.

Penn, Oldman and Wright (before she married Penn) are all brilliant and perfectly cast. Actually the whole cast is brilliant Ed Harris, John Turrturro and John C Reilly.

All About Steve an example of why Hollywood shouldn't be allowed to make movie - fucking shite. Listed in the top 100 worse films of the noughties by rotten tomatoes, but typically in comparison with State of Grace this fucking waste of space grossed $33m compared to SoG's receipts which only amounted to $1.9m.

Michael Clayton. 5/10

Could have been an allright film however an over enthusiastic editor got his hands on it and it ended up being all over the place.

If a director let his editor have the final say on the cut then he shouldn't be allowed to make movies.

More likely it was a shite film and the director when finally realising this during the edit though let's mix it up and hopefully no one will notice how bad it is.

Could be, after a quick check it turns out the director (extremely famous and talented) let his brother (not so famous and talented) edit it......

Michael Clayton. 5/10

Could be, after a quick check it turns out the director (extremely famous and talented) let his brother (not so famous and talented) edit it......

An editor in this instance is the guy who operates the edit suite at the director's instruction, brother or no brother, if not as I said before the director shouldn't be making films.

An editor in this instance is the guy who operates the edit suite at the director's instruction, brother or no brother, if not as I said before the director shouldn't be making films.

Not necessarily mate, I work in films and I know plenty of directors who actively want the editor to be creative and to have an input. There are obviously those who want it done exactly to their specifications but it is by no means the 'only done thing'.

Edited by angrysteve

Not necessarily mate, I work in films and I know plenty of directors who actively want the editor to be creative and to have an input. There are obviously those who want it done exactly to their specifications but it is by no means the 'only done thing'.

Thats my understanding tbf. Some Directors are all hands on, others appreciate that editing is a whole different creativity. You then have other gigs where the producers / writers are running the show and have the final word.

Surely a lot of the time this is where the idea, directors cut comes from. Having done this sort of thing with regard to adverts, its normal you want everything in the final piece and sometimes its just not practicle or commercial. Hence why directors cuts are usually so much longer.

With regard to the film SJ it just struck me as having a lot of the ingredients for a classic, but somehow (editing imo) just coming short.

You show me yours and I'll show you mine :lol:

btw imdb is fine.

Yes of course there are directors that actively want editors to be creative but not to alter or confuse a storyline.

And I still argue that any director worth their salt will have final say and to blame an editor as the original poster did is rubbish.

Thats my understanding tbf. Some Directors are all hands on, others appreciate that editing is a whole different creativity. You then have other gigs where the producers / writers are running the show and have the final word.

Surely a lot of the time this is where the idea, directors cut comes from. Having done this sort of thing with regard to adverts, its normal you want everything in the final piece and sometimes its just not practicle or commercial. Hence why directors cuts are usually so much longer.

With regard to the film SJ it just struck me as having a lot of the ingredients for a classic, but somehow (editing imo) just coming short.

Advertising is a different beast all together and populated by twat account managers that think they rule the roost, constantly arguing and undermining the directors they contract to direct the ads they are hired for.

I didn't say the director shouldn't have the final word, I agree they should but in all seriousness that generally resides with the exec as they have funded the thing in the first place. Auteur theory in this day and age can only really apply to the real indie directors or those who have so much clout they can do whatever they want.

I should have probably phrased it more along the lines that many editors would take massive umbridge at being considered to be an 'operator' rather than someone who has a creative input. Look at Scalia and Schoonmaker, they work with some of the highest profile directors in the world BUT they are still encouraged to creatively interpret the footage - that's not to say the director may hate it and get them to do it again differently though. Surely we are both actually making the same point here anyway??

Advertising is completely different, you're right, 8 times out of 10 the director is supplied with boards by the agency and as they are considered to be the creatives they want it done exactly that way. That's why most commercials directors also do music videos because it's a rare occasion for them to be more creative - they are however much more poorly paid than commercials.

Hitchcock used to leave the editor to it.

And then when the edit was finished he would have watched it, corrected and made changes but as we have all now agreed there is no fucking way any film director would leave an editor to make the creative decisions for how a film is cut.

Oh yes they would

Ok seeing the board is full of industry experts, I'd love to see a list of films/movies, even tv shows, where the editor has categorically, the final decision for the releases/broadcast production?

btw naming anything by the Coen brothers does not count, they only edit the offline.