This is the news!

Anorthernsoul

19 hours ago, ewerk said:

Cancel culture strikes again.

"The Sun said the pilot's wife has declined to comment."

I'm shocked, I tell you. I can't imagine why she didn't want to talk to a Sun reporter about it

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I am absolutely fucking raging about this

Agreed. What makes someone haul a chainsaw there just to do that? Cunts. 😡 

Edited by RobinRobin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I feel genuinely sad about this. It's always fucking rammed but it's still a lush spot. There's some proper cunts knocking about.

I'm speechless at this news. I just can't understand any motivation for this act of vandalism. What could anyone gain from it? 

I had never heard of sycamore gap when I first saw it. was walking along the wall and came to it, and immediately thought what an amazing photo that would make. I had my first digital camera then (probably 2004ish, a Canon Ixus) so photographed it. Only later through Paul Mooney on the BBC weather did I realise it was famous. 

And now some cunt has removed it so nobody else can enjoy it. Cunts. Although it somewhat reminds me of Bart cutting off Jermiah Springwood's head of as a dare, this is much, much worse. A living thing, an icon of the whole North East, gone. And even if they were somehow caught, the maximum legal sentence or even lynching the cunts is not going to change that. :(

• Like 1

Aye tree's gone whatever happens. Hopefully they commission a local artist to put something fitting up in its place.

I must admit I'm a bit worried that we're gonna be subject to grief tourists holding a candlelight vigil, laying flowers and crying on the spot where the tree used to be.

Just now, Gemmill said:

Aye tree's gone whatever happens. Hopefully they commission a local artist to put something fitting up in its place.

I must admit I'm a bit worried that we're gonna be subject to grief tourists holding a candlelight vigil, laying flowers and crying on the spot where the tree used to be.

Yeah, I get that and that would be pathetic. They need to plant a new tree I guess. For me it's partly the loss of an icon but more the idiocy of human nature. Found my photo, here is a copy. Taken November 2010, much later than I had remembered. 

image.thumb.png.826ea19ba46d93aa12cb1cb40597645b.png

• Like 8

Cold rage here. 

They’ve killed something that’s been alive for longer than anyone, and why? 

What possible fucking reason could you have to do this? 

What’s really making my piss boil, is that they’ve also fucking ruined the future of the place. 
What was nice about it was that it was totally open to everyone- no barriers, fees, you could stand and take photos, have your bait, kids play around it. 

All that’s fucked now - even if they managed to plant a mature replacement, it’ll be fenced, monitored, and possibly charged for. 

Utter, utter, cunts. 

Whoever has done this, knows exactly what they’ve done too- some fucking skip rat hasn’t just turned up and hacked it down. 
Felling something that size cleanly, as they’ve done, takes experience. 

Which makes it all the worse. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

what would possess someone to do that? it doesn't make any sense 

If they'd took the tree with them and made something useful out of it then at least there'd be reasoning for this absolutely shocking behaviour. As it is it's just mindless vandalism and utter stupidity.