Joelinton

wykikitoon

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He needs it. His cleaning lady is on £70k pw.

The rest goes on extra security to keep Fist away from his missus when he turns up with the Sainsburys order :cuppa:

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 5

Every January, one or two of our star players will have 18 months left on their contract, and will be looking for a better deal - and the club will weigh up offering what they want, or taking the cash and buying someone else. That’s just the price of progress - we now have players that aren’t shit where we could get a good fee, and people in the boardroom who know what they’re doing.

Obviously, I want him to stay. But if he does go, good luck to him. Although of course without the influence of Howe he might just revert to the version of Joelinton who kicked the ball into his own face.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's true that Ashworth had been handling negotiations and that Staveley has taken them over, but I think that happened before he left anyway. That's been mentioned in other reports. The same thing happened with Bruno - he eventually signed when Staveley took over negotiations from Ashworth.

There's a big gap between 43k and 110k though, so who knows where Ashworth was pitching - the tweet almost suggests he was refusing to budge from 43k, which will obviously be bollocks.

• Like 3

It is interesting wording as 'refused to raise salary from around £43k to £110k' could mean because £90k was the limit the club gave Ashworth but they are wording it in a way that makes Ashworth look bad. 

I would be extremely pleased to see him sign a contract, even if it meant a significant change in his wages of around 67K. I cannot see who we would he able to buy and pay a low enough wage to that would fill the place of a Howe-era Joelinton. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

It's true that Ashworth had been handling negotiations and that Staveley has taken them over, but I think that happened before he left anyway. That's been mentioned in other reports. The same thing happened with Bruno - he eventually signed when Staveley took over negotiations from Ashworth.

Aye, I assume it’s a fairly standard negotiating tactic. Like going to buy a car and the salesman giving you his bottom price before having to go to his manager to secure an ‘extra special’ discount.

• Haha 6

Just now, Gemmill said:

He'll probs be the top earner in the summer (until we just fuck off FFP and bring in Haaland) once Bruno heads off to Paris and thoroughly deserved too, in fairness. 

39 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

He'll probs be the top earner in the summer (until we just fuck off FFP and bring in Haaland) once Bruno heads off to Paris and thoroughly deserved too, in fairness. 

Joelinto's payrise allows us to have a strong midfield without paying top dollar + wages for his replacement. By keeping Joelinton we make Bruno more amenable to stay. Then we have a midfield options from: 

Bruno, Joelinton, Tonali,

Anderson, Longstaff, Miley, Willock.

Add a top class defensive midfielder who can cover for (or usurp) Joelinton and we'd have a strong, variable midfield with a range of experience.

• Like 4

i agree about the need for a DM, but i don't think eddie does. 

joao palhinha would be perfect but not sure we have the ffp headroom as he's going to cost a fortune 

• Like 2

As long as Eddie is in charge I can't see us bringing in a traditional DM or a No 10 for that matter. When we have a full strength squad I don't think we desperately need one either. It's only when we don't have the midfield options (or Pope) that suddenly a bit of protection for the defence becomes increasingly important.

However, the only viable option in Jan was Phillips and thank fuck we decided against it considering how dog shit he's been :lol:

• Like 2

Probably need to look at better value overseas because we definitely need another striker and that’s not going to come cheap. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

As long as Eddie is in charge I can't see us bringing in a traditional DM or a No 10 for that matter. When we have a full strength squad I don't think we desperately need one either. It's only when we don't have the midfield options (or Pope) that suddenly a bit of protection for the defence becomes increasingly important.

However, the only viable option in Jan was Phillips and thank fuck we decided against it considering how dog shit he's been :lol:

southgate will still start him for england because he had a good tournament three years ago