Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

50 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

THINGS SHORTER THAN A CLARKO PUT DOWN POST....

I'll start...

The rise and fall of the roman empire by Edward Gibbon

Homer's The Iliad 

any more?... :unsure:

war and peace? 

I think having someone in the discussion who has ready access to loads of stats and a willingness to dig them up could genuinely be a real asset on here tbf, it's a shame it's gone sideways.

I'm tempted to make a final try at explaining to Clarko why this is so objectionable to the rest of us, but I can already imagine his reply and I've lost the will.

i know i'm an old cunt, however....

you'd go to the match, and it would go something like this....

you'd avoid getting your head kicked in by the oppositions supporters.

you'd have a few pints, or sometimes a bit more.

you'd watch the game, have a sing and a jump about. come out feeling happy or miserable.

buy a pink.

have some more beer and discuss the match with your mates, who'd had a blinder, who'd been average and who'd had a nightmare.

seems these days for some at least this has all been forsaken for video phones, stop watches, measuring tapes, calculators, slide rules and websites full of mathematical equations and mind-numbing statistics.

fuck that.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

i know i'm an old cunt, however....

you'd go to the match, and it would go something like this....

you'd avoid getting your head kicked in by the oppositions supporters.

you'd have a few pints, or sometimes a bit more.

you'd watch the game, have a sing and a jump about. come out feeling happy or miserable.

buy a pink.

have some more beer and discuss the match with your mates, who'd had a blinder, who'd been average and who'd had a nightmare.

seems these days for some at least this has all been forsaken for video phones, stop watches, measuring tapes, calculators, slide rules and websites full of mathematical equations and mind-numbing statistics.

fuck that.

Totally understand your view, as much as I enjoy data myself.

1 minute ago, strawb said:

Knowing where to look up stats doesn’t mean you know fuck all about football 

Feel free to quote my argument and tell me where and how I'm wrong. Otherwise we'll just assume I know football.

• Haha 2
  • Jaysus... 1

2 minutes ago, strawb said:

Knowing where to look up stats doesn’t mean you know fuck all about football 

True but the stats themselves can help develop the conversation between the people who do. I don't think they're a fundamental, but I do think they can add something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Aye, that’s the long and short of it. The prevalence of stats in crack between fans has only come about so kids who can’t kick a ball can pretend to know what they’re on about.

Or the prevalence of stats has come about to get rid of dinosaurs who claim they know what they're on about but don't.

4 minutes ago, MrLogic said:

Or the prevalence of stats has come about to get rid of dinosaurs who claim they know what they're on about but don't.

Wrong again 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

likewise mate.

but you're not the one here who's claiming it's bordering on a heinous crime to just be happy enough to judge with what you've watched with your eyes.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MrLogic said:

Feel free to quote my argument and tell me where and how I'm wrong. Otherwise we'll just assume I know football.

This is the only quoting of your shite I will be doing just to tell you, you know nowt about football Mr Spock.

Theres blokes on here myself included that have forgotten more about football than you will ever know.

• Like 2

Just now, strawb said:

This is the only quoting of your shite I will be doing just to tell you, you know nowt about football Mr Spock.

Theres blokes on here myself included that have forgotten more about football than you will ever know.

That's what I thought.

23 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Data’s fucking shite. It might also be a hefty component of my job

• Haha 3