Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

I had an antivaxxer tell me, with no sense of irony, that we were now living in vaccination based apartheid. That the vaccine makes no discernible difference to transmission rates, and that the measures we're putting into place are all part of a bid to control us. This is, in any other conversation, a pretty smart human being. He doesn't trust the scientific community, thinks there's some grand conspiracy there, that publishers are intentionally preventing anti-vaccine knowledge coming to the fore, and that you can't trust the process.

In defence of that latter point, he did have an example to back it up which threw me a bit - Elsevier published and then pulled down a paper on how there was evidence to suggest that myocarditis was being triggered in young boys, by the vaccine. The paper passed peer review, was published, and then unceremoniously pulled down at the journal editor's behest with no reason given to the authors. So ok, it's the journal editor rather than the publisher, but it's still problematic and regrettably feeds right into his narrative. Obviously if there really was a nefarious agenda, it wouldn't have been published in the first place - still though. Shit like this eats away at people's trust in the process.

23 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Mindblowing conversation with my sister this morning. Mentioned we would do LFTs before we come to theirs on Christmas day... 

"What you doing that for? They're totally inaccurate! You could ruin your whole Christmas. I'm telling you now mam will be furious if you don't come on Christmas day cos of that. We won't be doing them."

(which when you consider my nephew will be working in a pub all over the Christmas period is fucking ridiculous and totally irresponsible).

It's genuinely pointless getting into it with her because she's fully Facebook radicalised, so I just said.. 

"Well it would ruin my Christmas a lot more if I came to yours and gave you all Covid, so I'm fine trusting the LFT. Up to you what you lot do, it's your house."

Isn't the main issue with LFTS false negatives, not false positives? We've done dozens now and they're always negative. In which case, your sister's argument is even more tosh. 

Edited by Renton

22 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Mindblowing conversation with my sister this morning. Mentioned we would do LFTs before we come to theirs on Christmas day... 

"What you doing that for? They're totally inaccurate! You could ruin your whole Christmas. I'm telling you now mam will be furious if you don't come on Christmas day cos of that. We won't be doing them."

(which when you consider my nephew will be working in a pub all over the Christmas period is fucking ridiculous and totally irresponsible).

It's genuinely pointless getting into it with her because she's fully Facebook radicalised, so I just said.. 

"Well it would ruin my Christmas a lot more if I came to yours and gave you all Covid, so I'm fine trusting the LFT. Up to you what you lot do, it's your house."

No doubt these conversations are happening all over the country. Some people just don't get the seriousness of the situation we're in. Just reading Omicron will be the dominant strain in the UK by next week. Its

crazyhow fast its spreading. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Isn't the main issue with LFTS false negatives, not false positives? We've done dozens now and they're always negative. In which case, your sister's argument is even more tosh. 

Aye. And I know this, but you cannot talk to people who think they know everything because Facebook tells them. It's a losing battle, and all that will happen is that she falls out with me, and honestly I can't be fucked with the hassle. 

She was telling me the other day that Starmer is as much to blame for how things currently are as Johnson. I spelled out how Starmer could literally vote down everything Johnson proposes and it would all still pass because any rebel tories would fall away at the first sign of them actually defeating the government etc. And therefore as a matter of fact, anything that is happening now is the fault of Johnson and his government. 80 seat majority, parliamentary maths, all of it. 

And I just get "no, I disagree". With fucking facts. What can you do with that? It's just pointless. 

• Jaysus... 1

8 minutes ago, trooper said:

No doubt these conversations are happening all over the country. Some people just don't get the seriousness of the situation we're in. Just reading Omicron will be the dominant strain in the UK by next week. Its

crazyhow fast its spreading. 

I think the main two messages that people have got over the last week is that it transmits very fast but appears milder “like a bad cold”.

Thats not really going to make most people change their routines too much from what they are already doing.

I appreciate possible situations for the NHS btw.

Theres also a lot of differences in people personal risk based on their circumstances. I have 3 kids in 3 different schools so I pretty much think there’s not too much I can do to avoid it. And because of that, I wouldn’t get my other daughter or her kids to do a test before they pop round.

But I totally understand other people without kids, with young kids, with health problems or less general exposure being more cautious.

I just wish the fucker would mutate some more and give us special powers like in misfits.

7 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I think the main two messages that people have got over the last week is that it transmits very fast but appears milder “like a bad cold”.

Thats not really going to make most people change their routines too much from what they are already doing.

I appreciate possible situations for the NHS btw.

Theres also a lot of differences in people personal risk based on their circumstances. I have 3 kids in 3 different schools so I pretty much think there’s not too much I can do to avoid it. And because of that, I wouldn’t get my other daughter or her kids to do a test before they pop round.

But I totally understand other people without kids, with young kids, with health problems or less general exposure being more cautious.

I just wish the fucker would mutate some more and give us special powers like in misfits.

it's probably too early to be comparing it to a bad cold but there have been no recorded deaths from omicron so far anywhere in the world - that has to be encouraging. 

• Like 1

All my kids are grown up & jabbed etc so we're not too worried about them although I'll be reminding them to make sure they get a booster. Its the grandkids, none of them have been jabbed they range in age from 11 to 2. Obviously we want to see them but the worry is them all going to diffent schools. We now try & stagger everyone coming as well, its not ideal but its the only way we can do it. Hopefully there'll be some improvement in the situation soon & we can try & get back to some normality whatever that is 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

This is genuinely sad. That this can happen to families is depressing.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's probably too early to be comparing it to a bad cold but there have been no recorded deaths from omicron so far anywhere in the world - that has to be encouraging. 

The easiest solution is to ask people if they are transmitting Delta or Omicron before you are getting too close to them.

Does only work in fluent ancient Greek though.

50 minutes ago, trooper said:

On a lighter note. Its amazing how not so long ago if you walked into a bank wearing a mask you'd probably get arrested. Yet now the insist you wear one 🤣

You’d have to find a branch that’s still open first :razz: 

• Haha 1

Just had my first close encounter with a masker-vs.-nonmasker fight at the supermarket. :boogie: They were already at it when I came along. Couple of punches thrown, thought it was going to get a bit stabby for a while (Lewisham innit) but security eventually waddled over and did their job. Fun times.

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Have you considered introducing her to TGQ? 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I had an antivaxxer tell me, with no sense of irony, that we were now living in vaccination based apartheid. That the vaccine makes no discernible difference to transmission rates, and that the measures we're putting into place are all part of a bid to control us. This is, in any other conversation, a pretty smart human being. He doesn't trust the scientific community, thinks there's some grand conspiracy there, that publishers are intentionally preventing anti-vaccine knowledge coming to the fore, and that you can't trust the process.

In defence of that latter point, he did have an example to back it up which threw me a bit - Elsevier published and then pulled down a paper on how there was evidence to suggest that myocarditis was being triggered in young boys, by the vaccine. The paper passed peer review, was published, and then unceremoniously pulled down at the journal editor's behest with no reason given to the authors. So ok, it's the journal editor rather than the publisher, but it's still problematic and regrettably feeds right into his narrative. Obviously if there really was a nefarious agenda, it wouldn't have been published in the first place - still though. Shit like this eats away at people's trust in the process.

The co-author of the paper was Peter McCullough. A reknowned covid sceptic and anti-vaxxer who has made a number of false statements on covid, promoted discredited treatments and was fired from his previous job.

The problem is with Elsevier’s refusal to give a proper reason for the withdrawal as it’s only fuels the crazies’ conviction that it’s all a conspiracy.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The co-author of the paper was Peter McCullough. A reknowned covid sceptic and anti-vaxxer who has made a number of false statements on covid, promoted discredited treatments and was fired from his previous job.

The problem is with Elsevier’s refusal to give a proper reason for the withdrawal as it’s only fuels the crazies’ conviction that it’s all a conspiracy.

It passed peer review though, so it's been rejected based on who he is, not what he said. The science was apparently sound.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Damn it feels good to be a hermit. 

Aye that'll be me as well, go with Mrs T this week to get the grandson to school. When he breaks up on Friday get the doors locked & bolted 

Edited by trooper

The Guardian has seen a document from the UK Health and Security Agency (UKHSA) to Mr Javid saying that 'stringent national measures' must be imposed by December 18 and would resemble something close to another lockdown.

The UKHSA said that if measures aren't imposed the number of people being admitted to hospital with Covid will put the NHS under too much pressure.

Just had news that one of my grandsons in Norwich has Omicron he's 9. Apparently our daughter in law was told the cheerful news that everyone in the household will probably get it now. I wish the fucking thing would just piss off now.

Update from Norwich, my grandson is feeling a lot better today. But my daughter in law said she's woke up with a massive headache & a very sore throat. She's got a test booked for 12 today.  I feel so sorry for her having to isolate with her 3 young sons. She's a good kid & will do anything for those boys. Oh & by the way my son is a total dickhead