Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Honestly, I doubt many with even basic qualifications or understanding of molecular biology would be concerned by the new mRNA vaccines, which includes the Pfizer one. They are very clean without the adjuvants that caused safety issues in other vaccines. 2 month safety data is adequate. Given the risk benefit ratio of preventing this disease, this is an absolute no brainer and I am surprised the EMA and FDA haven't expedited their approval too. They will, but lives will be lost in the mean time.

I'm hoping to be vaccinated before the New Year and I have no concerns at all. 

Cheers Rents, just now looking forward to 3 months of Michael Gove and his cunt friends in the cabinet trying to convince their Brexiteer cult followers to start trusting experts again :D

13 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Apparently, according to a contributor to the 5 Live Breakfast show,  the speed with which this vaccine was approved  is all down to Brexit :lol:

I mean, it is in a fashion. In another 4 weeks the trucks transporting it are going to be stuck in big fuck off queues at border points. If they don't push it through now then it's going to be twice as hard next year 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

Can I just say on behalf of the scientists and clinicians I work with, a massive "fuck you" to Hancock and Williamson, your comments are mortifying. Scientists believe firmly in international cooperation, are almost universally opposed to Brexit and Nationalism, and don't believe in British exceptionalism. We recognise the immense damage this shit show of a government is doing to our county's reputation and the practical consequences of its actions, all negative.

P.S. Pfizer vaccine was developed in the USA and Germany, and is manufactured in Belgium,  you horrendous cunt of a man. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know it's tantamount to fascism but this supports one of my dark views that extreme leavers should be registered or labelled so they could be denied the benefits of the internationalism they despise. 

The hypocrisy of Farage and his ilk standing there taking the Pfizer jab sickens me. 

• Like 3

Aye. Also the similarity of these tory cunts and Trump taking the credit for something they had nothing to do with. Worse still, using this deliberately to promote further division. This is a new low. 

• Like 3

Nick Ferrari on LBC saying that NHS workers are no longer second on the list for the vaccine after care home residents & staff. Doesn't suggest who's taken their place but implies that its a numbers thing ie there's not enough to go around in the first round of immunisations. 

Tbh it sounds like a half baked statement that's been twisted to make a story, he didn't offer a source either. Thing is I have a very bad feeling about the roll out in general. They've got to keep the vaccine at -70 and they don't have a fuckin clue how to do it. The army etc can help, but how to you get a vial of vaccine to care homes in the correct condition? Physically how? 

23 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Nick Ferrari on LBC saying that NHS workers are no longer second on the list for the vaccine after care home residents & staff. Doesn't suggest who's taken their place but implies that its a numbers thing ie there's not enough to go around in the first round of immunisations. 

Tbh it sounds like a half baked statement that's been twisted to make a story, he didn't offer a source either. Thing is I have a very bad feeling about the roll out in general. They've got to keep the vaccine at -70 and they don't have a fuckin clue how to do it. The army etc can help, but how to you get a vial of vaccine to care homes in the correct condition? Physically how? 

I don't see how the transport is going to be a massive issue. Once they get them to the regional hubs where they can be safely stored then they can be taken out and kept at fridge temperature for five days which gives enough time for them to be transported to care homes.

46 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don't see how the transport is going to be a massive issue. Once they get them to the regional hubs where they can be safely stored then they can be taken out and kept at fridge temperature for five days which gives enough time for them to be transported to care homes.

Yeah sounds simple but I don't think the government have all the infrastructure in place as we speak because it doesn't exist at the moment. The first part of inoculation is going to be a shit show if you ask me

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah, story in the Guardian too. There's not enough vaccine to go round evidently. Personally I think it makes more sense to vaccinate frontline NHS staff (like Cath, not me) and social care staff first before care home residents. A bit like if the oxygen bags come out on a plane you should help yourself first before helping others. NHS staff frontline workers are high risk from catching this and spreading it, we owe it to them to protect them.

I am also worried about the logistics of the Pfizer vaccine, especially after transition ends. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah sounds simple but I don't think the government have all the infrastructure in place as we speak because it doesn't exist at the moment. The first part of inoculation is going to be a shit show if you ask me

Can you fit a minus 80 freezer on a plane? I honestly don't know. 

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

Can you fit a minus 80 freezer on a plane? I honestly don't know. 

Don't think its an issue getting vaccine into the country, its the infrastructure once you get here. If there are hundreds of fridges capable of keeping vaccine that cold am wondering whats normally kept in them? Are they conveniently lying idle at the moment? The likes of flu vaccine is kept in surgeries in special frdges designed for purpose, you can't just hoy them in the sane space as milk & tesco meal deal goodies. Do care homes have capacity for this?  I think the government know the issues surrounding all this but as far as I can make out the media haven't really twigged that this looks like another impending disaster for the government.  

I don't see the issue. The vaccine can stay in the freezer boxes for ten days. So it should take three days to get them in the country. After that you have another seven days where they can sit in the boxes, after that they've five days where they can be stored in fridges. So that's 12 days they can be in the country before becoming unstable.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don't see the issue. The vaccine can stay in the freezer boxes for ten days. So it should take three days to get them in the country. After that you have another seven days where they can sit in the boxes, after that they've five days where they can be stored in fridges. So that's 12 days they can be in the country before becoming unstable.

The minute you take them out the -80C freezer and into a polystyrene box with dry ice, the clock is ticking and you put yourself under immense pressure. I would much prefer we get them to this country at their correct temperature and store them at -80C in regional hubs. I know these freezers are quite common in universities and research centres, the ones I used to work with were always chocker though. 

Off topic: oh how i laughed when we had a freezer failure and I lost 3 years of work, NOT. 

36 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, story in the Guardian too. There's not enough vaccine to go round evidently. Personally I think it makes more sense to vaccinate frontline NHS staff (like Cath, not me) and social care staff first before care home residents. A bit like if the oxygen bags come out on a plane you should help yourself first before helping others. NHS staff frontline workers are high risk from catching this and spreading it, we owe it to them to protect them.

I am also worried about the logistics of the Pfizer vaccine, especially after transition ends. 

I agree to a point but if its correct that 99% of deaths are people over 50 and that's then skewed even further by age within that then I think doing over 80s first isn't a bad idea. 

We all want a sensible rollout with the aim of ending this as soon as possible but reducing the daily wince at the new deaths feels good to me. 

I know there's a lag on infections to deaths of course. 

Pfizer ship them in freezer boxes with dry ice. As soon as they're put in they're good for up to ten days. The issue is our ability to have vaccines into people within 12 days of the vaccines entering the country. That should be manageable, we've had nine months to come up with a distribution plan.

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

What freezers? & what are they holding at the moment?.... I don't think the spare capacity is there tbh. 

They can be stored temporarily on dry ice. I am guessing liquid nitrogen dewers are out of the question on capacity grounds, this is usually how you transport biological samples that need cryopreservation.