The new manager thread

Polarboy

25 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's being said all over the place now but I want to add my voice to it since I was saying it a couple of weeks ago too. Having a lot of money and skill with investments does not make you qualified to run a football club on an operational level.

They need this done basically now IMO, whoever it's going to be, then we should urgently hire a DoF. Get the decision making that pertains to football out of the hands of bean counters and political actors.

Honestly, it should be the other way around. 

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Totally agree but not sure we have time.

In a weird way I think that bringing in someone like Howe paves an easier path for a DoF than someone like Emery. 

26 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's being said all over the place now but I want to add my voice to it since I was saying it a couple of weeks ago too. Having a lot of money and skill with investments does not make you qualified to run a football club on an operational level.

They need this done basically now IMO, whoever it's going to be, then we should urgently hire a DoF. Get the decision making that pertains to football out of the hands of bean counters and political actors.

Well no shit Sherlock. The new owners aren't qualified to run a football club inside a month. Maybe we should swap them for Sheffield Wednesday or Brighton owners instead. 

Just calm the fuck down, it's one of the blowbacks of suddenly getting the ok on the takeover after a long and painful process. It's going to take a while to settle down, but we'll come out of it stronger. 

1 minute ago, BetweenTheSticks said:

I think how fast the takeover went through has actually caused us a few problems now. All recruitment of staff is going to be rushed due to the position we find ourselves in the league.

Pop Tv Questioning GIF by Schitt's Creek

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

In a weird way I think that bringing in someone like Howe paves an easier path for a DoF than someone like Emery. 

You mean because he's more likely to accept it/easier to bin off?

Maybe. If its going to be Howe we just need to get it done one way or another, this fiasco has gone on long enough.

7 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

Well no shit Sherlock. The new owners aren't qualified to run a football club inside a month. Maybe we should swap them for Sheffield Wednesday or Brighton owners instead. 

Just calm the fuck down, it's one of the blowbacks of suddenly getting the ok on the takeover after a long and painful process. It's going to take a while to settle down, but we'll come out of it stronger. 

I'm aware of all that mate, thanks :cuppa:

Just wanted to contribute my opinion same as everyone else. Have previously said that the speed of the approval has caught them out and that it's the main problem. They've been caught unprepared while during their first attempt at buying us they had options lined up beforehand. People have indicated previously that they'll have consultants in but I'm not actually convinced based on how things have gone so far. I think they're relying on Charnley. That needs to be rectified quickly and I hope they can see it.

And as per the thread about us getting relegated, I'm not even that fussed if we go down. What I can't abide is the mistakes being made that are slowing things down.

Edited by Rayvin

Tbh we were going down as it stood anyway. Worst case scenario is it happens with new owners who are fucking loaded beyond our wildest dreams. We’re still miles better off than we were. I’ll wait and see who we get but even Howe would represent a massive upgrade on Bruce imo. There’s no way they won’t invest heavily in January either.

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rosco said:

Richest club in the world and Howe is a top choice for manager the same guy who picked up 18 points in his last 27 games.......lost 19 drew 3 won 5 that must put him on par with cabbage head, if he gets the job relegation is nailed on

He also took Bournemouth from fourth from bottom in League One to promotion in the same season. Two years later he got them promoted to the Premier League and kept them there for several seasons.

He doesn't have to be the messiah, he just has to be good enough to avoid relegation this year. What does worry me about him is that his sides have a tendency to ship goals and if we're to stay up then it needs to be built on a solid defence.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

You mean because he's more likely to accept it/easier to bin off?

Maybe. If its going to be Howe we just need to get it done one way or another, this fiasco has gone on long enough.

We don't need to get it done. If we wanted Howe, we could probably have got him in three weeks ago. Are you really going to blame the owners for trying to get the best possible appointment they thought was available? Seems to me like Emery himself was a bit disingenuous. It might backfire on him once they go out of the CL if his results in the Spanish league don't improve. Fuck him tbh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

He's still raging that Staveley had the nerve to hang in there and get this takeover done and make him look like an even bigger tosser. :lol:

Aye, he’s had a pop at her at every possible opportunity. This is the fella who basically put his reputation on the line in his continual defence of Steve Bruce 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

We don't need to get it done. If we wanted Howe, we could probably have got him in three weeks ago. Are you really going to blame the owners for trying to get the best possible appointment they thought was available? Seems to me like Emery himself was a bit disingenuous. It might backfire on him once they go out of the CL if his results in the Spanish league don't improve. Fuck him tbh. 

I was pleased with Emery and was ready to give them full credit. I'm not pleased with the way we've lost the whole thing due to an apparent lack of professionalism. Even if Emery was disingenuous which tbh I'm not sold on, we shouldn't have announced/leaked it to the press only to be made to look clueless hours later. Its not going to help us look stable and competent, which is what we will need to attract the people we want.

Credit where its due is all well and good but they're not beyind criticism either ffs.

Edited by Rayvin

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He also took Bournemouth from fourth from bottom in League One to promotion in the same season. Two years later he got them promoted to the Premier League and kept them there for several seasons.

He doesn't have to be the messiah, he just has to be good enough to avoid relegation this year. What does worry me about him is that his sides have a tendency to ship goals and if we're to stay up then it needs to be built on a solid defence.

Personally I wouldn't be thrilled with Howe or Martinez, but I would rather have a manager who really wants to be here over someone who was indecisive. Both play good football at least, and I still think Howe is one of the brighter English managers. If it's him, so be it, I'll get behind him. But at this stage, it's probably all guesswork, no one really knows who the owners have lined up next. 

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm aware of all that mate, thanks :cuppa:

Just wanted to contribute my opinion same as everyone else. Have previously said that the speed of the approval has caught them out and that it's the main problem. They've been caught unprepared while during their first attempt at buying us they had options lined up beforehand. People have indicated previously that they'll have consultants in but I'm not actually convinced based on how things have gone so far. I think they're relying on Charnley. That needs to be rectified quickly and I hope they can see it.

And as per the thread about us getting relegated, I'm not even that fussed if we go down. What I can't abide is the mistakes being made that are slowing things down.

They need to look higher than a DOF and get an actual Chief Executive with experience. When Abramovich took over Chelsea he appointed Peter Kenyon within a couple of months. Get someone of a decent calibre in at that level and let them lead the recruitment drive for the other positions within the club. But right now we just need someone to coach the team and avoid relegation.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

They need to look higher than a DOF and get an actual Chief Executive with experience. When Abramovich took over Chelsea he appointed Peter Kenyon within a couple of months. Get someone of a decent calibre in at that level and let them lead the recruitment drive for the other positions within the club. But right now we just need someone to coach the team and avoid relegation.

Yeah also fair, I just figured a DoF could at least fill in the obvious gaps we have. But the whole club needs a better operational structure to it. I am confident they can manage that long term really.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I was pleased with Emery and was ready to give them full credit. I'm not pleased with the way we've lost the whole thing due to an apparent lack of professionalism. Even if Emery was disingenuous which tbh I'm not sold on, we shouldn't have announced/leaked it to the press only to be made to look clueless hours later. Its not going to help us look stable and competent, which is what we will need to attract the people we want.

Credit where its due is all well and good but they're not beyind criticism either ffs.

Maybe we aren't stable and competent right now, let the press have their little giggle of self satisfaction. We will build the structure to give us that competency, of that I have no doubt, so as far as I am concerned we will be the ones looking down in the long run. 

We can't force people to get on board, but the ones that do won't be on the losing side in the final reckoning. 

Just now, Alan Doh'liver said:

Maybe we aren't stable and competent right now, let the press have their little giggle of self satisfaction. We will build the structure to give us that competency, of that I have no doubt, so as far as I am concerned we will be the ones looking down in the long run. 

We can't force people to get on board, but the ones that do won't be on the losing side in the final reckoning. 

Well all of that I agree with sure. But I still think it's ok for us to point out when they're fucking up. I am totally behind the new ownership in a footballing sense, I'm fine for them to take ten years over winning even a league cup tbh.

I'm not bed wetting, we can go down for all I care - as Alex said we were nailed on for it before they came in anyway. And I would prefer they make the right appointment here. I just think we had it pretty much lined up there and lost it due to shenanigans. Let's hope it's a learning moment.

18 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Pop Tv Questioning GIF by Schitt's Creek

Yeah I do think... I'd have been sure they'd have spent the last 18 months speaking to people who they had an interest in employing had they thought the takeover was going through. It's starting to look more and more like it's caught them off guard as much as it did with us fans. That or it's just a complete shit show.

7 minutes ago, BetweenTheSticks said:

Yeah I do think... I'd have been sure they'd have spent the last 18 months speaking to people who they had an interest in employing had they thought the takeover was going through. It's starting to look more and more like it's caught them off guard as much as it did with us fans. That or it's just a complete shit show.

Things move fast in football though. You can line up all sorts of people to employ, but if you can't give them the job because the takeover still hasn't gone through, they will move on somewhere else. I really don't understand what people expected them to have done differently given the speed of the takeover when it happened. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BetweenTheSticks said:

The takeover definitely caught Staveley and the Reuben's off guard. 

We were all nicely set up 18 months ago. Get Benitez in while the rest of the football club took shape, spend a bit of money in the middle of the financial insecurity of the pandemic.

• Like 1

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread